Why do people respect Monarchs and despise Dictators?

st333ve

A dictator is a person of immense wealth and state power, their family may own hundreds of thousands of acres or more.
They have monuments everywhere of themselves, name streets roads and buildings after themselves.
They receive all this through a bloodline, they are not accountable to the electorate and they tend to live in huge palaces with hundreds of servants tending to their every need.

A Monach is.... well see above.

Ok there might be some differences in the amount of power a Monarch has compared to someone who is considered a dictator but the fact remains that they are almost identical in every way.

So why are Monarchs respected and Dictators despised????

Dunlin3

Because Monarchs are there by and large at the discretion of the people of the country and dictators by and large are not!

D

Deleted member 17573

A dictator is a person of immense wealth and state power, their family may own hundreds of thousands of acres or more.
They have monuments everywhere of themselves, name streets roads and buildings after themselves.
They receive all this through a bloodline, they are not accountable to the electorate and they tend to live in huge mansions with hundreds of servants tending to their every need.

A Monach is.... well see above.

Ok there might be some differences in the amount of power a Monarch has compared to someone who is considered a dictator but the fact remains that they are almost identical in every way.

So why are Monarchs respected and Dictators despised????
Monarchs tend to be heads of state, while dictators are heads of government (and probably heads of state as well for good measure). Monarchs, despite the rather skewed attitude we have in Ireland, are frequently held in some esteem and fondness by their people - e.g. UK and Spain. Dictators, on the other hand, would not win any popularity contests - that is, if they permitted the holding of such contests.

st333ve

Can you show any electoral evidence that suggest people support Monarchy?

As far as I am concerned, the public generally aren't consulted.
I can't think of the public ever being officially consulted which means Monarchs have no mandate - the same as a dictator.

There are a lot of comparisons in the above distinctions, would I be right then in saying that a Monarch is a Dictator 'Light'?

Dunlin3

Australia had a referendum a few years back and decided to retain QE2 as head of state...for the time being anyway.

st333ve

When past Monarchs had immense power, when wars were fought over these Monarchs they were still called Monarchs when obviously they were dictators.

st333ve

Australia had a referendum a few years back and decided to retain QE2 as head of state...for the time being anyway.
The ruling party decided to end the tie this year, after the death of QE2.

lobby

Can you show any electoral evidence that suggest people support Monarchy?

As far as I am concerned, the public generally aren't consulted.
I can't think of the public ever being officially consulted which means Monarchs have no mandate - the same as a dictator.

There are a lot of comparisons in the above distinctions, would I be right then in saying that a Monarch is a Dictator 'Light'?
Not electoral evidence, but try and make a joke involving the royal family in Thailand and the locals will be genuinely upset. To the point that you could be arrested for it.

Monarchs are really only glorified tourist attractions, dictators generally run a country for their own benefit ahead of the populations benefit.

D

Deleted member 17573

Can you show any electoral evidence that suggest people support Monarchy?As far as I am concerned, the public generally aren't consulted.

Electoral evidence? - of course not - that would be a contradiction. But just try talking to some people from countries that have monarchies and you would be surprised at their attitude - I certainly was when I decided to lose my close-minded bias against monarchy and actually started listening to people from such countries.

st333ve

I want to be head of state, I will go to the people and ask for a mandate.

That's how it works in a Republic, in a Kingdom it's passed down to a relative.

This is how it works with a dictating family also.

D

Deleted member 17573

When past Monarchs had immense power, when wars were fought over these Monarchs they were still called Monarchs when obviously they were dictators.
That was then - look at the situation that pertains now.

st333ve

Monarchs are really only glorified tourist attractions, dictators generally run a country for their own benefit ahead of the populations benefit.
Totally disagree, I went to London and couldn't get into Buckingham Palace because a Dictator "light" lives there.

They lost the entrance fee from a tourist.

Tourists don't go to London to see the family, they would get to see more if they didn't exist.

J

john moriarty

...I can't think of the public ever being officially consulted which means Monarchs have no mandate - the same as a dictator.
You only need as mandate if
you've any power to exercise,
surely. Offhand, I can't think
of any (in the west anyway)
that could do much without
parliamentary approval.

Anyway, it's a bit of a money
-spinner for a few countries
I'd imagine.

dresden8

Dictators are generally seen as greedy, dangerous avaricious types who hold onto power as well as wealth at any cost.

Western monarchs are seen as a quaint anachronism where they are wealthy and a touch "odd" but there is no "evil" attached to their situation.

They may be rich but they have no power.

Where monarchs do have power I think it's seen that they have been bred for the role and have a "guardians of the nation" kinda thing going on, they wear power easily. (And in the Middle East they have the whole secret police thing backed up by American military power going on.)

Plus generally people are sheep, they want to be led. Putin one good example, Tsar in all but name, if you forgive the hyperbole.

Libero

St333ve, very few modern-day monarchs exercise executive power, as a dictator does by definition.

Absolute monarchies cling on in places like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Brunei. There are some interesting halfway-houses like Jordan.

kenneth

Assuming you are referring to the queen of Britain whilst she was not installed as head of state democratically. There is no question as to whether or not the majority of the british public want her as head of state. The green party in England have said they would abolish the monarchy if they were put into government. This is thought to be on of the main reasons as to why they don't have a larger support base.

st333ve

Well they do enjoy ripping the limbs off foxes for fun, and stabbing horses in the side to make them run faster.
Evil?
To some yes.

They also regard the population as "subjects", a very degrading term to describe people by.
Although some derive pride from this situation, it doesn't change the fact that they enjoy an elite existence at the expense of others and the public has no power to stop them.

I also don't buy this argument that they have no power, If I lived in that palace and had elected representatives bowing at my knees, owned hundreds of servants had people jailed at "my pleasure" and stamped my name on everything from mail to hospitals I would regard myself as an immensely powerful person.

D

Deleted member 17573

I want to be head of state, I will go to the people and ask for a mandate.

That's how it works in a Republic, in a Kingdom it's passed down to a relative.

This is how it works with a dictating family also.
You don´t like the idea of monarchy - fine, I don´t either but I respect the right of various peoples who seem happy with the idea of monarch as head of state. And if this thread is for the purpose of you sounding off against monarchy, why introduce the comparison with dictatorship? When one looks at how people suffer under dictators, it really is a bit idiotic to be making comparisons with benign monarchies.

Dunlin3

Can we have a monarchy? Got to be better than some of the yokes we've put in the Aras!! Even Bertie fancies his chances.

Popular Threads

Most Replies