• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why do the same people crop up again and again? And again and again?

alloverbartheshouting

If a similar thread has been been started before, then please forgive me.

However, upon watching TV for the first time in a while, I have to ask the following: why in the name of Our Holy Licence Fee is Eddie Hobbs presenting a programme about the Civil War? Why is Ivana Bacik given seemingly never-ending airtime at the moment? Is Mario Rosenstock ever going to have to do anything other recycle material from c.2002?

And I wonder why I have to pay a licence fee even though I usually rely on my iPod or DVD collection.

I may be being unfair to these three individuals, but I feel that they are representative of the 'rinse and repeat' nature of RTE in its many forms. With a population of 6 million or so, are we not able to develop new talent? Or are we too accepting of "the devil you know"? Is it purely based on the perceived nepotism of RTE or, dare I say it, viewer laziness? Whatever it is, if I ever have to be subjected to Eddie Hobbs' 'concerned' close-up again the TV is getting thrown out the window.

44percent

Because they are available. Because its TV by numbers, not by original thought.

Cassandra Syndrome

statsman

However, upon watching TV for the first time in a while, I have to ask the following: why in the name of Our Holy Licence Fee is Eddie Hobbs presenting a programme about the Civil War? Why is Ivana Bacik given seemingly never-ending airtime at the moment? Is Mario Rosenstock ever going to have to do anything other recycle material from c.2002?

And I wonder why I have to pay a licence fee even though I usually rely on my iPod or DVD collection.

I may be being unfair to these three individuals, but I feel that they are representative of the 'rinse and repeat' nature of RTE in its many forms. With a population of 6 million or so, are we not able to develop new talent? Or are we too accepting of "the devil you know"? Is it purely based on the perceived nepotism of RTE or, dare I say it, viewer laziness? Whatever it is, if I ever have to be subjected to Eddie Hobbs' 'concerned' close-up again the TV is getting thrown out the window.
Is it any different on the BBC, really? Stephen Fry, Paxman, a handful of historians over on BBC4, Harry bloody Enfield, and so on.

The OD

RTE has lots of issues it needs to be addressed and to declare my interest, I can't stand the place, but what they do is what TV does the world over.

Hardly the main reason to dislike them.

ottovonbismarck

Wait until the new years eve party show is on. I betcha that crocked puss of a des Cahill beside that twink yolk between Ann Doyle. Terrible dung.

Regards...itchy sac

alloverbartheshouting

Michael Collins was living beyond his means?
Sure, that's what the fall out with Dev was about. Wasn't it? :shock:

Not making light of my own thread, but really? Internationally-renowned irish historian, Eddie Hobbs? Was Diarmuid Ferriter busy or something?

alloverbartheshouting

Wait until the new years eve party show is on. I betcha that crocked puss of a des Cahill beside that twink yolk between Ann Doyle. Terrible dung.

Regards...itchy sac
You know you'll be glued to the screen.

Regards..... pun intended

SKELLY

get ready for the Jim power show with the budget looming.

im sure that other gobshyte Brendan Burgess will be on too.

ooh and dont forget Brendan Keenan.

the usual mouthpieces will be out en force this week

notice how Gurdgeiv hasnt been on RTE in a long long time, i wonder why?...

alloverbartheshouting

Is it any different on the BBC, really? Stephen Fry, Paxman, a handful of historians over on BBC4, Harry bloody Enfield, and so on.
Fair enough. But I don't pay towards the BBC, so maybe am a bit more tolerant.

However, at least BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4 have a wider range of presenters. What got my goat this evening as Eddie Hobbs, Mr. Tighten-Up himself, presenting a historical documentary on RTE. The BBC equivalent? I dunno - Jeremy Clarkson on the Reformation, perhaps?

alloverbartheshouting

RTE has lots of issues it needs to be addressed and to declare my interest, I can't stand the place, but what they do is what TV does the world over.

Hardly the main reason to dislike them.
It's not that I dislike RTE - it's just that they seem to operate on the theory that there only 12 people in the world and the rest is done with mirrors...

Colin M

Sure, that's what the fall out with Dev was about. Wasn't it? :shock:

Not making light of my own thread, but really? Internationally-renowned irish historian, Eddie Hobbs? Was Diarmuid Ferriter busy or something?
Ferriter is another guy who has hardly ever been off the radio/TV. You would swear he was the only historian living in Ireland.

pippakin

Because its a bit of a job for the members of the club, once you're in there are perks...

Gurdiev

Rte is the one part of our state that would be better off being a region of the Bbc.

alloverbartheshouting

Rte is the one part of our state that would be better off being a region of the Bbc.
See, I don't believe that either. Yes, we might regurgitate the same formats, but I do not believe that we cannot source more presenting talent. Just consider the banter here on p.ie. Granted, not everyone (myself included, I might add...) may be telegenic, but there is usually a lot more wit to be found here in a single hour than in a evening in RTE. By the way, TV3 aren't much better!

Last edited:

redhead

I'd hazard a guess that they choose these people deliberately in order to increase ratings (as strange as that may seem). People like Eddie Hobbs are unfortunately a brand and it is probably harder to get viewers and advertisers for a show like this without a 'name' as a draw.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies