Why do we have Nigerian asylum seekers?

just4ever

This is NOT a thread for hot headed racists so please don't post here. I have no issue with us accepting asylum seekers, if people fear percecution in their own country then they have the right to seek asylum elsewhere. My question is why do we receive asylum applications from Nigerians as there is no direct transport link between Ireland and Nigeria and the law states that asylum applications must be made to the first country you arrive in, therefore making any application to the Irish government null and void.
Once again, this is a legal question, not a thread for racists.

Dev__

Are you sure there is no transport between Nigeria and Ireland? Our conventional transports may not service Nigeria but thats not to say there is no transport. Perhaps they can come by shipping boat working their way. I don't know the facts but I'd like to see some links or further reading on this.

just4ever

Mods, can you please change the title to seekers? thanks

just4ever

Are you sure there is not transport between Nigeria and Ireland. Why not?
I couldn't find passenger transport linking them.

Disillusioned democrat

Are you sure there is no transport between Nigeria and Ireland. Why not?
Direct link...asylum seekers are supposed to register for asylum in the first "safe" country they come to...there are no direct links between Africa and Ireland, so it does stretch credibility that the first safe country the stump up at is Ireland.

Aindriu

Why do we get Afghanis and Iranians given that most of them arrive here via the UK and get there via France etc?

They should all be deported back to the first signee country to the Dublin agreement they arrived in.

mazzington

the law states that asylum applications must be made to the first country you arrive in, therefore making any application to the Irish government null and void.
I actually read the EU directive on this (someone posted a link in a similar thread a couple years back) and it is totally ambiguous. The directive does not actually say that applications must be made in the first country, but its ambiguity means that some people have chosen to interpret it that way.

just4ever

Direct link...asylum seekers are supposed to register for asylum in the first "safe" country they come to...there are no direct links between Africa and Ireland, so it does stretch credibility that the first safe country the stump up at is Ireland.
As far as I'm aware the most common route is from the African continent to either Spain or France. Both of which are definitely safe countries.

corelli

1. Soft system. No immigration detention, well cared for, fed, clothed etc.
2. Previously, Irish Born Child. Easy way to get status.
3. Slow process. used to take years to determine a case.
4. Easy access to the high court and too slow when the case gets there.

willoughby

Probably be a bit unfair on Spain and France if we got none but we definitely get our fair share, I presume they probably dont make it difficult for the to continue on their way.

willoughby

1. Soft system. No immigration detention, well cared for, fed, clothed etc.
2. Previously, Irish Born Child. Easy way to get status.
3. Slow process. used to take years to determine a case.
4. Easy access to the high court and too slow when the case gets there.
I think the well cared for is no harm. I agree on the other points.

just4ever

Has anyone got a link to the relevent legislation?

mazzington

Interesting, possibly contradicts my earlier post:

It should not be presumed that a third country is necessarily safe for asylum seekers
According to the Directive, Member States may decide not to give protection to a person on
the assumption that this person can find protection in another country through which he/she
might have transited prior to coming to the EU (a so called “safe third country”). Access to
the asylum procedure may be denied altogether under this rule. Particular concerns arise
when this rule is applied automatically by border guards based on a set list of countries. The
Directive should be amended to allow asylum applicants to rebut the presumption that, in
their particular case, a country is safe.
link: UNHCR - The Asylum Procedures Directive

Mena

This is NOT a thread for hot headed racists so please don't post here. I have no issue with us accepting asylum seekers, if people fear percecution in their own country then they have the right to seek asylum elsewhere. My question is why do we receive asylum applications from Nigerians as there is no direct transport link between Ireland and Nigeria and the law states that asylum applications must be made to the first country you arrive in, therefore making any application to the Irish government null and void.
Once again, this is a legal question, not a thread for racists.
Simple. Transit through an airport. If you fly from Nigeria to wherever (say Spain for arguments sake) and then catch a connecting flight to Dublin, you never entered Spain. Going through immigration in Ireland or requesting asylum at immigration in Ireland means that's the first country you've reached.

This was set out in the Dublin Convention.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Simple. Transit through an airport. If you fly from Nigeria to wherever (say Spain for arguments sake) and then catch a connecting flight to Dublin, you never entered Spain. Going through immigration in Ireland or requesting asylum at immigration in Ireland means that's the first country you've reached.

This was set out in the Dublin Convention.
Thats what i hear alright.

So Mena as an africa living in Ireland. What was the process you went through to be permitted to stay in this country.

Mena

Thats what i hear alright.

So Mena as an africa living in Ireland. What was the process you went through to be permitted to stay in this country.
We immigrated in 2000. I had my CV on one of the jobs sites, probably monster or the like and I was contacted by a company here in Ireland.

At that point our only option was a work permit, which was granted and we've been here ever since.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Has anyone got a link to the relevent legislation?
Dublin Regulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Dublin Regulation (sometimes the Dublin II Regulation; previously the Dublin Convention) is a European Union (EU) law that determines the EU Member State responsible to examine an application for asylum seekers seeking international protection under the Geneva Convention and the EU Qualification Directive, within the European Union. It is the corner stone of the Dublin System, coprised of the Dublin Regulation and the EURODAC Regulation, which ...
Full links to the relevant texts are in the above page

cYp

The Underdog

What I never understood was if they are genuinely seeking asylum and are in fear of their lives, how come they bypassed all the other safe European countries on the way ? (Where lets face it there is better employment and standard of living prospects for them, and more mixed races, and easier to fit in etc.) Surely, you'd want to increase your chances of successful escape and head for the closer safe countries ? Not some far away little backwater monoculture like Ireland ? I would expect that a lot of these people already got booted out of other European countries for not being genuine asylum seekers, and being chancers just moved on and used a different name and improved/refined story for here.

Last edited:

pujols

What I never understood was if they are genuinely seeking asylum and are in fear of their lives, how come they bypassed all the other safe European countries on the way ? (Where lets face it there is better employment and standard of living prospects for them, and more mixed races, and easier to fit in etc.) Surely, you'd want to increase your chances of successful escape and head for the closer safe countries ? Not some far away little backwater monoculture like Ireland ? I would expect that a lot of these people already got booted out of other European countries for not being genuine asylum seekers, and being chancers just moved on and used a different name and improved/refined story for here.
I think it is fair to say that Ireland has long had a positive reputation in Africa and elsewhere, not having had a colonial past. In addition the Irish missionaries did much good in the schools and hospitals. We also have a reputation as a happy race, with a sense of fun. I would want to live in Ireland even if I was born somewhere else, (except maybe Italy!).

Some folks just like us.

mazzington

I think it is fair to say that Ireland has long had a positive reputation in Africa and elsewhere, not having had a colonial past. In addition the Irish missionaries did much good in the schools and hospitals. We also have a reputation as a happy race, with a sense of fun. I would want to live in Ireland even if I was born somewhere else, (except maybe Italy!).

Some folks just like us.
Yeah, the christian missionaries that went to places like west africa definitely have a lot to do with it I would say.

Biggest factor is of course our past reputation as the Celtic Tiger.

New Threads

Most Replies