• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Why do we have such a Heroin problem and such an obvious one?

General Urko

I was walking on a series of streets in Dublin at around 8 pm last night and just before I got to one which has a prominent landmark and virtually a side road across from another, I saw 2 middle aged women in a doorway preping up with tin foil. About 2 doorways up I saw another woman, younger with a very gaunt appearance and haunted expression doing the same thing. The latter sight in particular, really disturbed me!
Your heart would go out to people in such a way, though that's lessened to an extent for me as I define myself as a working class man and almost all Smack junkies are from the same environment/ class background as me, but have crossed a line!
My question is why do we have such a smack problem in this country and in particular such an obvious one?
Is it down to workig class people being treated like complete Shyte?
Is it down to a police force that couldn't give a fook?
I have heard it said Dublin is the only city in the world with 3rd generation smack addicts, if you were an addict and became a grandparent in your early 40s it would be possible.
This situation is not a European norm, no fooking way!
Mind you I have seen it in Hamburg, Amsterdam and signs of it in Manchester!

Morgellons

It's a big problem, that's for sure, but I can't understand why people take it in the first place with the reputation it has for destroying lives. There has to be a question of personal responsibility here too.

It's moving into Cork too these days in a big way.

ger12

Poverty? Abuse? That many end up on the streets as prostitutes to feed the habit doesn't bother you though. That's all together different eh ...

General Urko

It's a big problem, that's for sure, but I can't understand why people take it in the first place with the reputation it has for destroying lives.

It's moving into Cork too these days in a big way.
That's it, if you come from an environment where you see people in a bad way zonked out of their brains why would you ever touch it, so there is an element of personal culpability in it!
That said if you are an addict who is genuinely seeking help, you should get it immediately, which AFAIK, happens in Britain and I don't think that giving somebody heroin substitute, methadone is the way to go, it's more addictive and causes long term issues.
BTW we are told in Galway, we have 300 smack addicts and in a small confined area such as Galway City, that's only possible if the Pigz are not doing their job!

General Urko

Poverty? Abuse? That many end up on the streets as prostitutes to feed the habit doesn't bother you though. That's all together different eh ...
Yes it does, somebody obviously under the direct influence of alcohol or drugs is not capable of giving consent!

PBP voter

Dubs have a huge history of drug abuse. Even before Heroin came to the City.

Even back in the 1910s there were a lot of drug addicts. Back then you could just buy drugs from pharmacists as they weren't regulated.

Its all the Brits fault. They started.

General Urko

Same reason we have/had an obvious drink problem. Underlying sense of self worthlessness promoted by the state in all its forms as a means to reinforce imperialist structures which required us to feel this way.
It actually concerns me that we come so high up in the human development indices type surveys, which of course is nonsense as no other country ahead of us and most likely none below us has a history of between 60 -70% of the equivalent of a leaving cert year running out of it, as they have virtually no prospect of getting a decent job as they are reserved for ass holes from the insider classes!

Morgellons

I've seen junkies shoot up in doorways at night and it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. This one girl in particular, wasted away and her arm rotten with abscesses, injecting herself not caring if anyone saw her or not. It was like she was stabbing at herself, trying to dull some eternal pain.

As I said, that's not a rare sight and should be enough to put anyone with a bit of sense and self-worth off a life like that.

General Urko

Dubs have a huge history of drug abuse. Even before Heroin came to the City.

Even back in the 1910s there were a lot of drug addicts. Back then you could just buy drugs from pharmacists as they weren't regulated.

Its all the Brits fault. They started.
The British establishment certainly caused the opium wars, which was an extreme crime against humanity!

Morgellons

The British establishment certainly caused the opium wars, which was an extreme crime against humanity!
Some argue that the current Afghan adventures are also intended to flood the markets of Europe with cheap heroin. And it's certainly getting cheaper.

tsarbomb

The problem is that its very hard to be sent to prison for simple possession. If we had tougher judges junkies heroin users wouldn't be so open with with their disgusting habit.

drummed

Same reason we have/had an obvious drink problem. Underlying sense of self worthlessness promoted by the state in all its forms as a means to reinforce imperialist structures which required us to feel this way.
Obviously.

General Urko

The problem is that its very hard to be sent to prison for simple possession. If we had tougher judges junkies heroin users wouldn't be so open with with their disgusting habit.
I am concerned with the plight of addicts and not so much open shooting up by people who probably have nowhere else to go!

General Urko

Some argue that the current Afghan adventures are also intended to flood the markets of Europe with cheap heroin. And it's certainly getting cheaper.
The Afghan adventure was primarily used as a gateway card to permit the real intention the oil grab by neocons in Iraq!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Heroin is not as addictive as some make it out to be, the main reasons for its use are
(1) An unhealthy social norm in certain segments of society
(2) Generally poor social and cognitive skills in same segments

I don't consider many of the people 18 years and over in such segments to be truly adult, they certainly ought not be allowed to rear children, and probably ought to be put into semi-structured communities that would ensure an appropriately holistic approach was taken to their needs and responsibilities

cyp

ON THE ONE ROAD

Bad out there all right. Heard of a young lad i knew a while back, was told he o'ded, was from a good family had an apprenticeship up to the recession, fell into all that after loosing his job and going into long term unemployment. Its not all bad runts. This has been normal for 30 years. It is clearly not a priority. The state do not care.

Morgellons

Heroin is not as addictive as some make it out to be, the main reasons for its use are
(1) An unhealthy social norm in certain segments of society
(2) Generally poor social and cognitive skills in same segments

I don't consider many of the people 18 years and over in such segments to be truly adult, they certainly ought not be allowed to rear children, and probably ought to be put into semi-structured communities that would ensure an appropriately holistic approach was taken to their needs and responsibilities

cyp
Yes, I often wonder just how addictive it must be to get people hooked like it does. A lot of drug taking is done, I believe, just for the need and sake of having something to do: it's a drug culture.

GDPR

From what I know, studies involving how many times a lab animal will press a lever to get a dose of a particular drug show that stimulants are the "most addictive". This would be amphetamines, cocaine and, to a lesser extent, caffeine and nicotine.

Prior to criminalisation about 90% of opiate dependents in the UK were women. This is because it is quite a subtle drug - taken in tonics eg Lydia E Pinkhams Elixir for Female Complaints, most users could maintain themselves for years. Men drank alcohol to excess and women took their tonics.

After it became illegal, women switched to valium etc which had far more serious side-effects, or began to drink as heavily as men. Alcohol abuse is much more dangerous fr women than men because their liver simply cannot metabolise it as effectively and of course they are rendered vulnerable to predators if drinking in public. They were probably far happier and safer retiring to their bedrooms with their "pick-me-up."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies