• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why Do You Remain In Ireland?

R3volution_R3ady

The current situation need not be explained. We know how people are feeling; down, fed up, depressed even. And it's only the start...it will get much, much worse.

There are little jobs and those fortunate enough to be employed have a host of taxes to look forward to, with even more coming down the line. Your home, even though you paid SD, has been targeted too by a tax conjured up out of thin air because, well...

You're gambling if you have all your eggs in one basket ie - euros. You've a deathwish if you still have them in the banks. You're going to have less and less in your pocket to spend year on year. Those on the dole will see their handouts decrease so no point staying for that.

My advice to you if you're young or have something saved away is to get out while you can. Get out before your family is fleeced. There are great opportunities abroad! I have found far greater happiness overseas than I ever would have here. What's stopping you? Too old? Responsibilities?

Why do you remain here? What is keeping you here?

bonkers

Bad health is the only thing keeping me here. I'd be gone in the morning otherwise.

Narcissist

I'm a creature of habit. I can't ever see myself living outside of Ireland. I was born and raised here and belong here really.

Last edited:

skiii

Bad health is the only thing keeping me here. I'd be gone in the morning otherwise.
I have heard anecdotally that Sexaholics Anonymous is on the rise in our unfair land. Somehow, this cheers me up. There's always the possibility of meeting someone who has fallen off the wagon. Desperate times etc.,

enochpowell

because if our ancestors managed to get through thousads of years of famine and war....i think we can make it through a little recession :)

devoutcapitalist

because if our ancestors managed to get through thousads of years of famine and war....i think we can make it through a little recession :)
Ah but don't you know we're a third world dump with a standard of living comparable to Somalia...lol

Well according to a lot of Irish people who engage in emotional hyperbole we are...lol

the secretary

The British did not force my ancestors to leave the country, the current crisis won't force me to abandon it now.

R3volution_R3ady

You missed the point. I don't give a rats arse about patriotism or emotional stories. My only concern is my family and how to make sure I live the most prosperous life I can. A life of opportunities and WEALTH. Lots and lots of wealth. Opportunities that don't exist here.

meriwether

A Job.
A wife.
Family.
Friends.

The usual stuff normal (ish) people stay around for.

Its not exactly like Syria out there, now is it?

Ren84

You missed the point. I don't give a rats arse about patriotism or emotional stories. My only concern is my family and how to make sure I live the most prosperous life I can. A life of opportunities and WEALTH. Lots and lots of wealth. Opportunities that don't exist here.
Spoken like a true Paulbot. It's all me, me, me, me. Selfish bastards, the lot.

meriwether

How much wealth have you generated since you left?

R3volution_R3ady

Spoken like a true Paulbot. It's all me, me, me, me. Selfish bastards, the lot.
Spoken like a true begrudger.

I, on the other hand, will not hesitate to encourage, support and applaud those that make the leap in order to better themselves. I see all they'll get from you is contempt.

Nemesiscorporation

The current situation need not be explained. We know how people are feeling; down, fed up, depressed even. And it's only the start...it will get much, much worse.

There are little jobs and those fortunate enough to be employed have a host of taxes to look forward to, with even more coming down the line. Your home, even though you paid SD, has been targeted too by a tax conjured up out of thin air because, well...

You're gambling if you have all your eggs in one basket ie - euros. You've a deathwish if you still have them in the banks. You're going to have less and less in your pocket to spend year on year. Those on the dole will see their handouts decrease so no point staying for that.

My advice to you if you're young or have something saved away is to get out while you can. Get out before your family is fleeced. There are great opportunities abroad! I have found far greater happiness overseas than I ever would have here. What's stopping you? Too old? Responsibilities?

Why do you remain here? What is keeping you here?
I left years ago when the going was great in Ireland.

Now I am coming back. Had a few serious delays, such as ending up completely 100% renovating my apartment myself as Swedish workmen are less than useless.

I know what to expect when I get back, such as no dole for two years and other nonsense designed to stop Irish returning to Ireland.

Ren84

I, on the other hand, will not hesitate to encourage, support and applaud those that make the leap in order to better themselves. I see all they'll get from you is contempt.
I'm not going to take lectures from some selfish libertarian who doesn't even live here, telling us the country is getting worse, when it clearly isn't. You have no clue about life in Ireland. Stick to politics.hk and leave us who are quite happy making a life in our own country, m'kay?

meriwether

Tell us about your new and better life.

Ren84

I left years ago when the going was great in Ireland.

Now I am coming back. Had a few serious delays, such as ending up completely 100% renovating my apartment myself as Swedish workmen are less than useless.

I know what to expect when I get back, such as no dole for two years and other nonsense designed to stop Irish returning to Ireland.
Perhaps you might be so kind to point that out to the anti-immigration lot on this site who seem to think a Nigerian mother with ten children is entitled to skip down to the welfare office as soon as her flight from Lagos lands at Dublin Airport.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies