Why do you think the Right Wing Parties are not successful in Ireland, compared to the rest of the World?

CRI0ST0IR

If you look at for example, United States (Republicans) and the UK (Tories) you have two very clear Right Wing parties. But then you have Ireland and it seems to be more center (Depends where you want to place FF and FG).

And there has been a few parties trying to start such as the National Party, Renua and Aontu but they seem to get no support, if not hate from the Irish Public.

You also see the likes of Trump and Boris Johnson getting a lot of support in their Countries, but we have Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett and they just get milkshaked.

Is there a reason for this?

Golah veNekhar

Well we have the DUP.

mangaire2

If you look at for example, United States (Republicans) and the UK (Tories) you have two very clear Right Wing parties. But then you have Ireland and it seems to be more center (Depends where you want to place FF and FG).

And there has been a few parties trying to start such as the National Party, Renua and Aontu but they seem to get no support, if not hate from the Irish Public.

You also see the likes of Trump and Boris Johnson getting a lot of support in their Countries, but we have Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett and they just get milkshaked.

yeah, there is - two reasons, in fact -

Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett.

rainmaker

Administrator

I've often pondered this and I have no conclusive answers.

Notably Ireland's post independence financial turmoil in the 20s & 30s occurred at the same time Fascist regimes came to power across western Europe, & yet Ireland was never seduced by it.

parentheses

Ireland tends to lag behind.

Politics in Ireland is reminiscent of where America and Britain were in the 1990s. Clinton/Blairism.

Orbit v2

We don't have the disaffected rust belts that the US and a lesser extent the UK have. Those kind of places are the birthplaces of Trumpism, and Brexit.

james toney

Anti racism, and common sense, you also get a lot of people that oppose right wing charlatans such as Trump and Johnson.

Dame_Enda

There seems to be more public disquiet over asylum than before. For my own part I would vote for candidates who support tighter immigration controls, but I cannot stomach the Religious Right agenda of the ex Youth Defence crowd like Justin Barrett. The Irish wont vote for the Religious Right after 27 years of sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church, and young people in particular will not accept turning back the clock to social conservative policies on contraception, abortion or anti LGBT laws.

stray creditor

Right wing political parties have been massively successful in this country since the foundation of the State.

Ireland is unique in Western Europe in never electing a left-wing government.

A more Irish appropriate question would have been;

Why do you think left parties are not successful in Ireland compared to the rest of the world?

blinding

Right wing political parties have been massively successful in this country since the foundation of the State.

Ireland is unique in Western Europe in never electing a left-wing government.

A more Irish appropriate question would have been;

Why do you think left parties are not successful in Ireland compared to the rest of the world?
Look at the Crea-ture that was supposed to be a Labour Party in Ireland .

recedite

raetsel

Ireland tends to lag behind.

Politics in Ireland is reminiscent of where America and Britain were in the 1990s. Clinton/Blairism.
Leaving aside the advance of liberal social change in the interim, that broadly is where Ireland has been since the 1960s.

recedite

Short answer is that the Shinners were marxists early on, took a monopoly on nationalism in this country, and bate the crap out of anyone who disagreed with them. As long as Ireland was a country of emigrants, and everyone was conditioned from primary school to hate the arch enemies (The Brits) that worked fine.
But things have taken a bit of a turn in more recent years. We have made peace with The Brits, and the cultural marxist, open borders, globalist policies which still remain are looking to be at odds with what any normal person would see as patriotism/nationalism. High volumes of immigration into some of the Shinner's traditional heartlands has upset some of their traditional supporters.
They are still hanging in there as "Ireland's most nationalist" political brand though. And still disrupting the meetings of their rivals.

Brenny

I know plenty of auld lads who hate new multicultural Ireland but vote FF, FG or even Sinn Fein. Oppositional politics in NI ensured that if the DUP went right, the Shinners had to go left. Nationalism in Ireland was generally reactive and defensive and never linked with colonialism. Our nationalism is laced with post-colonialism and this gives us the peculiar situation where many people can be fiercely proud of their flag, language and history and yet very open to mass immigration. The 'Irish are the blacks of Europe' line from The Commitments sums up this view.

Buchaill Dana

FFG have the right stiched up and have been in government for the entire time.

The question is why we don't have a far right. Part of that is SF having the patriotic vote sewn up. Part is we just dont blame furriners for our own failings.

CatullusV

There seems to be more public disquiet over asylum than before. For my own part I would vote for candidates who support tighter immigration controls, but I cannot stomach the Religious Right agenda of the ex Youth Defence crowd like Justin Barrett. The Irish wont vote for the Religious Right after 27 years of sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church, and young people in particular will not accept turning back the clock to social conservative policies on contraception, abortion or anti LGBT laws.
How would you tighten border control? Be very specific I don"t need generalities here. Specifics,please.

Dame_Enda

How would you tighten border control? Be very specific I don"t need generalities here. Specifics,please.
A United Ireland would help as we could turn around illegal immigration at the ports. I also think in the meantime we need a referendum to end judicial reviews for asylum appeals as they drag out their stay in direct provision for years at the taxpayers expense. I would favour the creation of US style Immigration-Judges outside of the regular court system so they just go to these judges for their asylum claims and not the ordinary court appeals system which is horrendously slow.

To quote the late Brian Lenihan Sr, "we can't all live on a small island".

Last edited:

Emily Davison

I think it’s because we’re a very small Island with a relatively small population many of us related to each other. We were on our own on the edge of the ocean.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies