Why does it matter if a woman is married or not?

Reasunach

Men get away with a lot. The title "Mr" covers you whether or not you are married. The use of "Ms" is sometimes seen as a cover up for people who don't want to give their single marital status away as opposed to it just being a normal title to denote that you are of the female gender.

Thought provoking reading here: Mrs, Miss or Ms

Personally, when asked, I love saying "Dr".

silverharp

nobody uses is in conversation anymore so I think the answer is nobody cares.

farnaby

Most honorifics should be done away with, their only purpose seems to be generating awkwardness when trying to address a letter. The Finns don't bother, they just write the person's full name, no Mr or Mrs nonsense.

On the OP's title though, in my experience it is recently married ladies who delight in writing Mrs and their new surname.

GDPR

Having the strange sort of "sticky memory" I have, I thought "Ya know there is something oddly familiar about this IT article, including the opening paragraph about being in a doctors reception room and filling in a form.

And sho nuff, I found a near identical article from two years ago in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/08/mrs-ms-or-miss-why-do-forms-require-women-reveal-their-marital-status

The author is one "Myf Warhurst".

Have a look and compare them. Is it the same person using a pseudonym, or does the article itself get passed around, so to speak?

Bill

Bill's bitch works fine in most situations

Rural

I never use titles and if someone calls me "Missus" I ask them to use my forename, which isn't great but it's better than "Missus"!:)

Reasunach

Truth is... it doesn't although a lot of women certainly seem to obsess about such things... ad nauseum...
From experience, particularly if it's a woman sitting behind the desk asking you to fill in the form. Every time I go to a hospital for a "woman's problem", I'm asked. It was particualrly intrusive when my husband died to be asked if I was married or not.

silverharp

I never use titles and if someone calls me "Missus" I ask them to use my forename, which isn't great but it's better than "Missus"!:)
are you time travelling to the 1970's per chance? , it sounds so dated now I could only picture travellers or some inner city old lad at the door trying to flog something using it.

The Field Marshal

Your view is that nobody cares about adulterous conduct.

There are a good few corpses in graveyards around the country to prove otherwise.

Rural

are you time travelling to the 1970's per chance? , it sounds so dated now I could only picture travellers or some inner city old lad at the door trying to flog something using it.
No.

Now why don't you get back into bed and try getting out on the right side this time!

Trainwreck

Men get away with a lot. The title "Mr" covers you whether or not you are married. The use of "Ms" is sometimes seen as a cover up for people who don't want to give their single marital status away as opposed to it just being a normal title to denote that you are of the female gender.

Really?

At a time when we are being told that unless you select the preferred pronoun from a list of 27 and growing, that the anachronistic historical existence of "Mrs" is worthy of wasting bandwidth on a pissant forum like this one...

If you don't like it, don't fúcking use it. Jesus the, moany cult just grows and grows.

silverharp

No.

Now why don't you get back into bed and try getting out on the right side this time!
im not being narky , its just funny as I have never heard my wife being addressed as "missus" . Thinking about it at least in Dublin it was just a Dub generic term for women over a certain age. I'd take "mister" or "suuuur" over luuuv , darlin or dear.

blokesbloke

Why does it matter if you have a specific qualification or not?

blokesbloke

The trouble is "Ms" never really took off, and that is down to women themselves.

If women choose not to use a term which doesn't show their status you can hardly force them.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies