Why does Lenihan not do live media debates?

Baron von Biffo

Or maybe a more appropriate question would be, why do the media let him away with not doing live debates.

Tonight on PrimeTime the other politicians are live in studio and face challenges to their positions but Lenihan gets a softly, softly one-to-one recorded interview. This has happened more than once in the past and it's unacceptable that one politician is singled out for favourable treatment.

Obviously it raises the questions of whether he's being accommodated because his health is too poor to permit him to participate in a normal debate. If that's the case then he's unfit to continue in the job.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Thought this meself BvB. It's shocking how much FF are allowed to get away with. Joan and Leo should have made the point.

Media blackout of Ministers until they turn up for live debates?

Mondo

He has to be kept in an airtight vacuum.

If he comes into contact with honest Irish air, rain, soil or people he will spontaneously combust.

Seems rte are happy to oblige their dark force masters.

wombat

Obviously it raises the questions of whether he's being accommodated because his health is too poor to permit him to participate in a normal debate. If that's the case then he's unfit to continue in the job.
I'm afraid I'm more cynical - he's a good lawyer, well able to regurgitate his brief - if he was challenged, we would all see he's clueless

slippy wicket

He has to be kept in an airtight vacuum.

If he comes into contact with honest Irish air, rain, soil or people he will spontaneously combust.

Seems rte are happy to oblige their dark force masters.
Maybe he is one of Jim Corrs lizard people, he certainly has an inhuman look to him.

Mushroom

It's quite simple - the Government Press Office offers RTE a choice - Manser or Fahy on a panel or Bozo on a one to one.

Which option would you take?

sport02

Think if he is on a panel in a studio with more than one person, his cancer is contageous, better to be safe than sorry and all that.

thebig C

Or maybe a more appropriate question would be, why do the media let him away with not doing live debates.

Tonight on PrimeTime the other politicians are live in studio and face challenges to their positions but Lenihan gets a softly, softly one-to-one recorded interview. This has happened more than once in the past and it's unacceptable that one politician is singled out for favourable treatment.

Wow, I actually agree with one of your posts!!

The points you raise are extremely cojent and very well made. This might have been forgiven in less extraordinary times, to preserve the gravitas of the position, however we have past the point where old maxims are not acceptable.

Its fairly obvious Lenihan does not want to debate for obvious reasons. His arguements and waffle just wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a non-partisan, fawning interviewer. In fact, on a few occasions when Lenihan has been pressured in the Dail or is responding to attacks by the opposition, he has revealed a very acid tongued spiteful persona. Perhaps he does not want too many to see the mask slipping!

I agree with others posters, at this stage I am surprised that none of the other spokespeople have drawn attention to the situation!

C

Stroke

Possibly something to do with getting rest. The interviews I've seen all appear to have been recorded before 7pm. Is he physically able for an interview later than that....?

MPB

He is able to participate in Dail debates, so there is no reason that he could not debate live on television.

The simple fact is that in the Dail the questions are managed and in a recorded interview they are managed as well.

A studio debate would show him up for the eejit that he is. Even recorded interviews are starting to do that.

The man is a knob and everybody is starting to realise it.

jimwin

I think it's plain arrogance myself

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Possibly something to do with getting rest. The interviews I've seen all appear to have been recorded before 7pm. Is he physically able for an interview later than that....?
Easy way around that is to pre-record the live debate.

Mondo

Think if he is on a panel in a studio with more than one person, his cancer is contageous, better to be safe than sorry and all that.
How insensitive of you.

If the poor man is I'll he should be offered one of mary's filthy MRSA trollies to wait indefinitely on.

I'm sure one of his other gombeens will take the helm and ensure we stay on course to oblivion.

Andrew4

I would say health. Pancreatic cancer is basically terminal, and in a lot of his interviews he looks like he has been propped up and his general body form/shape is all wrong. I would say he doesn't have the strength.
His job would take it out of any fit human, so considering he is basically dying it must really be taking it out of him

thebig C

:) I've also noticed that his interviewer of choice is Seanie Whelan.......possibly the only person in the world with less of a grasp of Economics and basic Accounting then himself!

C

thebig C

I would say health. Pancreatic cancer is basically terminal, and in a lot of his interviews he looks like he has been propped up and his general body form/shape is all wrong. I would say he doesn't have the strength.
His job would take it out of any fit human, so considering he is basically dying it must really be taking it out of him
If thats the case then he shouldn't be doing the damn job!

Are you saying that the futures of 4.5 million should be destroyed just so Lenihan can have a nice job until the inevitable happens...?

jimwin

Hi health is obviously a major consideration. I can only imagine what his body is going through. I'm sure his mind is on matters like his wife, family and his own mortality. He's clearly in no position to hold the most important portfolio in the Cabinet at the moment. There's an arrogance here too though, which reduces my sympathy considerably towards him

Mushroom

If thats the case then he shouldn't be doing the damn job! Are you saying that the futures of 4.5 million should be destroyed just so Lenihan can have a nice job until the inevitable happens...?

Well said.

But which of the other Cabinet donkeys would you give the Finance portfolio to? Because, knowing Cowen's congenital imbecility, he'd probably give it to Coughlan.

Andrew4

If thats the case then he shouldn't be doing the damn job!

Are you saying that the futures of 4.5 million should be destroyed just so Lenihan can have a nice job until the inevitable happens...?
If he can fully apply him self to the job and just miss out on media events like this then he can keep do the job, but if he can't fully apply himself then yes he should stand down. Neither of us know if he is fully applying himself to the job.
One of the reasons he is still in the job is that FF have no one at all suitable for the job, sure Lenihan is not exactly 'suitable' for the job, but he is an intelligent man, a degree from Cambridge backs this up. There are very few people in FF who have any level of intelligence.
However I think personally he will be stepping down after the Budget.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies