Why does RTE give work to it's competitors ?

cricket

It's something I just don't understand. Talking here about the likes of Dunphy , Tom McGuirk , Sam Smyth , etc. They work for rival broadcasters yet turn up regularly on RTE. If I worked part time for Bórd Gais , would they look kindly if , on my days off , I earned a few bob with the ESB ?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
RTÉ sees itself as being in show business. It's one of their major problems.

Would MFM have a problem with recruiting Julia Roberts because she last worked for Warner?

RTÉ is (or should be) a public service broadcaster and therefore the extent to which it is (or should be) in competition with the commercial broadcasters is debatable.

cricket

RTÉ sees itself as being in show business. It's one of their major problems.

Would MFM have a problem with recruiting Julia Roberts because she last worked for Warner?

RTÉ is (or should be) a public service broadcaster and therefore the extent to which it is (or should be) in competition with the commercial broadcasters is debatable.

I'd be more inclined to think it's just an old boys network .

Sync

Eamon Dunphy's very popular. So's George Hook. So is Matt Cooper. So multiple media sources use them. I don't get why you're coming at this from an RTE angle. Why not say "Why do Newstalk give work to its competitors?" It's just as valid.

stripey cat

There is a real issue as to why a supposedly neutral public service broadcaster relies so much on people who work for newspapers which clearly have political agendas.

Old Mr Grouser

It's something I just don't understand. Talking here about the likes of Dunphy , Tom McGuirk , Sam Smyth , etc. They work for rival broadcasters yet turn up regularly on RTE. If I worked part time for Bórd Gais , would they look kindly if , on my days off , I earned a few bob with the ESB ?
:mad:

There's nothing at all wrong with it.

I'd put it the other way round. Why isn't RTE outsourcing all its programme-making (yes, even the news-programmes) to independent production companies?

With that and other economies, such as a cut-back on broadcasting-hours and the number of channels, you could soon get rid of the licence-fee altogether and just put 40 cents a week on the new residential property-tax.

New Threads

Most Replies