• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why does the advertisement industry pander to female supremacy?

Shqiptar

Picture a hypothetical TV advertisement. Two men enter a sitting room where the woman is dutifully hoovering. One man introduces the other to what turns out to be his wife. The second man is there to buy her. He inquires as to her errrmm....attributes and is assured that she is indeed "a goer". They coyly exchange money and the woman, uncomprehending and submissive is led away. The last scene is outside showing the man directing the woman into the boot of the car.

It would never happen as there would uproar at the denigration of women. And yet there is precisely such an ad running on Irish TV at the moment where the gender roles are reversed.

[video=youtube;KclqAe21MfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KclqAe21MfE[/video]

It might be the most eye-catching example but it's hardly alone. How about the "rubbish Dad" who is too stupid to do his own Christmas shopping? When will he ever learn indeed?!

[video=youtube;scGdwO8e-Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGdwO8e-Lw[/video]

Another one I've seen recently is an animated commercial (when I think of the product I'll mention it here) showing three silhouetted figures running along an obstacle course. Two are obviously male and one is female. Surprise surprise, the woman maintains a clear lead and wins easily. There are loads of others whose product names I can't think of. I'll post the ads here when I think of them and find the footage. Another one I've seen in the last few days is for a snazzy new window cleaning device. The women gets her window cleaned with it very quickly and smiles patronisingly at the man who stands there looking in confusion at his sponge and bucket of suds.

It's no surprise that a man might occasionally be portrayed as the incompetent loser while a woman should sometimes be represented as smart and efficient. It's that in every advertisement where the genders are juxtaposed in this way, the man is always the stupid loser and the woman is always the clever winner. I can't think of one example where the woman are portrayed as being less capable than the man. What's the point? What's in it for the advertisement industry to contrast genders in this way?

sic transit

It's funny!! Laugh!! Oh and find something to actually worry about.

zakalwe1

take comfort in the fact that you have:
1. appreciation of sport
2. higher pay
3. greater happiness in marriage
4. one mood, all the time.
5. no need to wear pads or tampons
6. look good with beerbelly and thinning hair

lets give them their patronising commericals designed by ad execs to push the predicatable buttons of female purchasers without realising it.

shiptar, have a snickers, you're a right diva when you're hungry.....(comedy gold!)

Shqiptar

It's funny!! Laugh!! Oh and find something to actually worry about.
Rather generic post there, Sick.

Assume someone is worried.

Tell them not to be worried.

Intellectual standards on P.ie continue to scrape the stratosphere.

Aindriu

Bring on the Hunky Dory ads! :D

sic transit

Indeed just look at the OP on this thread. Daily Mail would be proud of ye. :)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Case for the defence:

[video=youtube;N3pokg8FJ24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3pokg8FJ24[/video]

[video=youtube;kCKuzuE695c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKuzuE695c[/video]

sic transit

kvran

Make the OP gender neutral and we could have a good thread. Ads exploit both genders.

Shqiptar

Case for the defence:

[video=youtube;N3pokg8FJ24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3pokg8FJ24[/video]

[video=youtube;kCKuzuE695c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKuzuE695c[/video]
I agree that portraying women as sexual objects is denigrating but that's not the same as an ad portraying one gender as stupid while the other is clever. And guys get portrayed as sexual objects too.

Shqiptar

Indeed just look at the OP on this thread. Daily Mail would be proud of ye. :)
There's only of me. Now whisht, unless you actually have a point to make that supportive or contradictory of the main point.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I agree that portraying women as sexual objects is denigrating but that's not the same as an ad portraying one gender as stupid while the other is clever. And guys get portrayed as sexual objects too.
I hear your complaint, I really do.

However, I think I'd prefer to be a clever man looking at an ad with a stupid man in it, and knowing it's a lazy stereotype, than a woman looking at an ad full of attractive women, and thinking to myself that I am not a proper woman.

Shqiptar

Make the OP gender neutral and we could have a good thread. Ads exploit both genders.
Are there ads out there that portray a woman as stupid, slow, a loser etc. while the man is represented as clever, efficient and a winner? Link them here, please? I can't think of any.

sic transit

They sell things. Sex sells and humour if done right sells. Even controversy sells. Indignation however does not.

Shqiptar

Are there ads out there that portray a woman as stupid, slow, a loser etc. while the man is represented as clever, efficient and a winner? Link them here, please? I can't think of any.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The ads I posted portray women as stupid.

Prester Jim

I hear your complaint, I really do.

However, I think I'd prefer to be a clever man looking at an ad with a stupid man in it, and knowing it's a lazy stereotype, than a woman looking at an ad full of attractive women, and thinking to myself that I am not a proper woman.
True, but apparently men are being adversely affected by the perfect male specimens on ads etc too.
You and I may be too beautiful to feel down after it but those younger and/or less gorgeous, are.
BBC News - Boys suffer poor body image, say teachers

"Asked where the pressure came from, 94% of those surveyed said they believed the media, including television, magazines, music videos, adverts and social media was the biggest influence on female pupils and also on male pupils (68%)."

Mitsui2

Sure what can you expect, given the quality of the OPs?

mr. jings

Somehere, light years away, aliens will tune into our tv ads and roll their eyes (before planning their invasion, of course).