• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why doesnt the La Mon bombing stick in the memory like other massacres?

D

Dylan2010

I happened to to catch the end of Reeling in the years (1978) and they did a piece on this bombing. And while I would have been to young to remember it from the news at the time, it doesnt appear to have lodged in the memory like Dublin/Monaghan, Warren Point,Shankhill. I could honestly say I have never heard about it before. One could hardly describe it as mundane and it looks like it could have easily killed more people.

La Mon restaurant bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That evening the two main adjoining function rooms, the Peacock Room and Gransha Room, were packed with people of all ages attending dinner dances. Including the hotel guests and staff, there was a total of 450 people inside the building.[3] The diners had just finished their first course when the bomb detonated, shattering the window outside of which it was attached and vaporizing the canisters. The explosion created an instantaneous and devastating fireball of blazing petrol, 40 feet high and 60 feet wide, which engulfed the Peacock Room.[8] Twelve people were killed (seven of whom were women), having been virtually burnt alive,[5][9] and a further 30 were injured, many of them critically. Some of the wounded lost limbs, but for the most part received severe burns. One badly burnt survivor described the inferno inside the restaurant as "like a scene from hell", whilst another who lost her daughter Elizabeth and son-in-law, Ian McCracken, said the blast was "like the sun had exploded in front of my eyes".[8] There was further pandemonium after the lights had gone out and choking black smoke filled the room. The survivors, with their hair and clothing on fire, rushed to escape the burning room. It took firemen almost two hours to put out the blaze.[

Spanner Island

Think about who keeps these things alive and you might get an idea...

This wouldn't be an operation the IRA/SF'ers would wish to celebrate too much... not when the warnings were late which resulted in the murder and mayhem that ensued...

It was obviously a bit of an operational f*** up... so probably best not to dwell on it too much...

Better to dwell on other atrocities etc...

b.a. baracus

This wouldn't be an operation the IRA/SF'ers would wish to celebrate too much... not when the warnings were late which resulted in the murder and mayhem that ensued...

It was obviously a bit of an operational f*** up... so probably best not to dwell on it too much...

Enniskillen, a similar event from the SF/IRA standpoint i.e. one which they would prefer not to talk about is very very regularly mentioned. As is Jean McConville every 2nd minute on here and elsewhere so I think the old conspiracy theories can be put to bed there. Le Mon is hardly unknown but it does not attract the same attention, why I do not know but it has nothing to do with SF trying to hush it up.

derryman

You really think that Sinn Fein have that much influence?

TiredOfBeingTired

One reason is privacy.

La Mon is on 10 acres of private grounds.
Omagh, Enniskillen, Frizzells on Shankill Road, Dublin & Monaghan were all in public locations which can be revisited at any time.

The hotel may well have a policy on not commenting on the bombing.

Another reason is publicity.
The IRA won't raise the issue too often.
The UK state and local authorities are keeping quiet too.
"SURVIVORS of the La Mon atrocity have said they feel deeply hurt that Castlereagh Borough Council has no plans to mark the 35th anniversary of the bombing.
Mr McDowell said he feels let down by the Historical Enquiries Team and also by the Government.“If it wasn’t for Ulster Human Rights Watch, we’d be completely on our own – we’re not like the Finucane Centre,” he said."
“They burnt us alive, yet it’s forgotten about” La Mon survivor - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

Hitch 22

Just have a read of this book:

For most of the Troubles the killings were monotonously routine.

DrNightdub

Twitter
@DrNightdub
The La Mon bombing was particularly horrific because of the use of petrol. But in a way, the thread title is misleading - plenty of people do remember it, same as they remember the bombing of the Abercorn restaurant.

Carl Claudius

I happened to to catch the end of Reeling in the years (1978) and they did a piece on this bombing. And while I would have been to young to remember it from the news at the time, it doesnt appear to have lodged in the memory like Dublin/Monaghan, Warren Point,Shankhill. I could honestly say I have never heard about it before. One could hardly describe it as mundane and it looks like it could have easily killed more people.

La Mon restaurant bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cos it happened in the north, where violence is acceptable and only Catholics can be victims.

edifice.

As has become of the trite, selective use of them for cheap point scoring.

Aindriu

I defy anyone to bee all gungho after reading that. Some of my good friends are named in that book.

Aindriu

cos it happened in the north, where violence is acceptable and only Catholics can be victims.
Sadly, I believe there is an element of truth in that.

Levellers

A terrible tragedy. The deaths were horrific but you must also remember this was a dog club who wouldn’t allow Catholics to join. Only in the Orange state.

thegregster

Another sectarian attack that PSF/IRA dont like to talk about. Just like Kingsmill these people were picked out because they were Protestant. Proves that PSF/IRA were sectarian. What complete cowards they were to attack ordinary civilians. Yet they have the nerve to claim they are not sectarian. :roll:

Last edited:

realistic1

Very inaccurate statement. When Section 31 was in place a lot of atrocities visited on Catholic families by Loyalist and British armed force did not get the accurate coverage that the victims deserved.

realistic1

Another sectarian attack that PSF/IRA dont like to talk about. Just like Kingsmill these people were picked out because they were Protestant. Proves that PSF/IRA were sectarian. What complete cowards they were to attack ordinary civilians. Yet they have the nerve to claim they are not sectarian. :roll:
I think we all know who operated a so called legal sectarian State for years.

D

Dylan2010

One reason is privacy.

La Mon is on 10 acres of private grounds.
Omagh, Enniskillen, Frizzells on Shankill Road, Dublin & Monaghan were all in public locations which can be revisited at any time.

The hotel may well have a policy on not commenting on the bombing.

Another reason is publicity.
The IRA won't raise the issue too often.
The UK state and local authorities are keeping quiet too.
"SURVIVORS of the La Mon atrocity have said they feel deeply hurt that Castlereagh Borough Council has no plans to mark the 35th anniversary of the bombing.
Mr McDowell said he feels let down by the Historical Enquiries Team and also by the Government.“If it wasn’t for Ulster Human Rights Watch, we’d be completely on our own – we’re not like the Finucane Centre,” he said."
“They burnt us alive, yet it’s forgotten about” La Mon survivor - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter
thanks that was an informative post , happening on private grounds is an interesting factor, I wouldnt have thought of that

thegregster

I think we all know who operated a so called legal sectarian State for years.
There was two of them actually on the island.

Fact of the matter is PSF/PIRA extreme dieting club is trying to constantly claim they are not sectarian when clearly they are.

Popular Threads

Most Replies