• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why has Holy Mother Church not commented on the current termination debate ?

venusian

Previously any politician who dared to discuss the need for legislation that even in the most stringent circumstances could lead to a termination would have been pulverised with a Crozier by one of the Grand Wizards of Holy Mother Church or its bishops or Pawns

Why has the Church been oh so quiet on the subject (up to now)

johnny365

Who would speak out? The far right nuts in the church don't trust Archbishop Martin and surely Brady is compromised?

eoghanacht

Previously any politician who dared to discuss the need for legislation that even in the most stringent circumstances could lead to a termination would have been pulverised with a Crozier by one of the Grand Wizards of Holy Mother Church or its bishops or Pawns

Why has the Church been oh so quiet on the subject (up to now)

Because they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

MariaMcN

They have nothing to do with the treatment decisions made by a particular set of doctors in a particular hospital. Just because a doctor supposedly used the excuse, 'this is a Catholic country', doesn't mean the Catholic Church is responsible for what happened here.

venusian

Because they are becoming more and more irrelevant.
I think they are biding their time and will rely on their members in the Status Quo parties FG/FF/"labour" to toe the ahem..party line, use their "guided conscience" and block legislation with a few reminders from the cap wearers

I expect Herr Pope will make a statement on the Irish situation to bolster support at an appropriate time

J

Johnny Boy

They have nothing to do with the treatment decisions made by a particular set of doctors in a particular hospital. Just because a doctor supposedly used the excuse, 'this is a Catholic country', doesn't mean the Catholic Church is responsible for what happened here.
Oh Maria, they do........

The brainwashing........................I've barely washed it out. You haven't even started to wash your hair!

venusian

because holy mother media would pulverise them with a microphone.
Really? I thought RTE did a fine job of ***not*** broadcasting any real news information (showing how many were there, or any interviews) of the protest outside of the Leinster by those Wimmin hussies

MariaMcN

Oh Maria, they do........

The brainwashing........................I've barely washed it out. You haven't even started to wash your hair!
You must be older than me. The Catholic Church does not run Ireland or control the collective conscience of the people. They make a useful scapegoat though.

pippakin

They may be afraid that this could turn into a negligence case. There is no way that bunch of hypocrites will say anything until they see whats happening.

GDPR

Every day on this site is just a giant hysterical hate-fest. Usually by the same people who blame the Church for causing hate.

Ireland is such a dull country - you're all so predictable.
I don't think the population of p.ie represents the population of Ireland. P.ie people are, disproportionately: single people, gays, unemployed, students, pensioners, angry (sometimes very ignorant) atheists, self-employed and others with time on their hands (especially during working hours).

So maybe you should rephrase: p.ie has too many dullards [or add better word here] - you are all so predictable.

MariaMcN

I don't think the population of p.ie represents the population of Ireland. P.ie people are, disproportionately: single people, gays, unemployed, students, pensioners, angry (sometimes very ignorant) atheists, self-employed and others with time on their hands (especially during working hours).

So maybe you should rephrase: p.ie has too many dullards [or add better word here] - you are all so predictable.
I only fall into one of those categories!

Ok, maybe two. :cry: petunia

venusian

No, but I believe it's more nuanced than people seem to think it is.
Nuanced? Don't they still condemn and wish to send folk to a made up la-la land called hell for seeking or having or giving an abortion/termination? How nuanced can you get?

GDPR

Nuanced? Don't they still condemn and wish to send folk to a made up la-la land called hell for seeking or having or giving an abortion/termination? How nuanced can you get?
There's nothing nuanced about what you say.

johnny365

When the head ob-gyn consultant in that particular hospital is a notoriously far-right Opus Dei Catholic fundamentalist, then yes, yes the influence of the Catholic Church is very very relevant indeed.
I often wonder in this state how many of the Senior positions in the public service and other positions are occupied by members of Far Right Catholic groups such as Opus Dei.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies