• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why has Neary never been charged?

FakeViking

Having watched last night's drama (as I understand it, closely based on the report), I fail to understand why that appaling butcher of human flesh, "Doctor" Neary is still at liberty, and still lives in the vicinity of his victims, enjoying his 80k per annum pension while they get minimal compensation (and nothing for those over 40). I realise (and it's very obvious from last night's program) that he was not alone, it was a systematic failure within the Health Service which should never recur, but for the man never to have to answer in front of a court of his peers for his crimes is appaling.

Vega1447

A related question - why have the victims not sued the miserable auld fecker?
His Medical insurance would have paid up?

A (less closely) related question - was in car today with better half, she asked why husbands of the victims hadn't driven out to Neary's gaff and given him a chance to explain his (Neary's) side of the whole business, maybe had a cup of tea, talked about football.... You get the idea.

i know that I'd have been keen to get my views on Premier League across forcefully - and I don't follow football.

constitutionus

because this is ireland and we dont convict the professions when they break the law.

Vega1447

constitutionus said:
because this is ireland and we dont convict the professions when they break the law.
And the answer to my second question?

Geekzilla

FakeViking said:
Having watched last night's drama (as I understand it, closely based on the report), I fail to understand why that appaling butcher of human flesh, "Doctor" Neary is still at liberty, and still lives in the vicinity of his victims, enjoying his 80k per annum pension while they get minimal compensation (and nothing for those over 40). I realise (and it's very obvious from last night's program) that he was not alone, it was a systematic failure within the Health Service which should never recur, but for the man never to have to answer in front of a court of his peers for his crimes is appaling.
That is a very good question.

Rahood

Because as I understand it a Judge will favour the expert opinion of an expert and he acted in his expert opinion in the best interest of his patients. Loighic as Gaeilge if you will.

Vega1447

Rahood said:
Because as I understand it a Judge will favour the expert opinion of an expert and he acted in his expert opinion in the best interest of his patients. Loighic as Gaeilge if you will.
Rhubarb.

Neary is obviously (based on Tribunal alone) incompetent. Some decent medical witnesses from Britain (very few Irish medics would have testified against him) would have torn his defence to pieces.

Medical compo cases are fought and won (or settled out of court) all the time.

What made Neary's case different?

Rahood

Loighic as Gaeilge not the best translation I know but Irish Logic made/makes this case different

He was a bumbling old fool but had the interests of the women at heart.

Vega1447

Rahood said:
Loighic as Gaeilge not the best translation I know but Irish Logic made/makes this case different

Sez who?
Sez him maybe?
Hardly enough to convince me never mind a jury.
Wasn't enough to convince Judge Maureen Harding Clark either...

What makes you so sure?

Rahood

Vega1447 said:
Rahood said:

Sez who?
Sez him maybe?
Hardly enough to convince me never mind a jury.
Wasn't enough to convince Judge Maureen Harding Clark either...

What makes you so sure?
Just so as we both know. IANAL

But it is unless somebody tells me different that between the legal talk she stated that he was a bumbling old fool that had failed to update his methods over the last twenty years and was stuck in his ways.

If you are making a case for those that followed on from making claims against the Lourdes Hospital Redress scheme seeking redress against the state I am at a loss.

Full Disclosure my Aunt was involved in the 1st case.

Aindriu

Rahood said:

Bollax did he! He sterilised young women for now other reason than he could! I find it appalling that anyone is prepared to support him!

Vega1447

Rahood said:

But it is unless somebody tells me different that between the legal talk she stated that he was a bumbling old fool that had failed to update his methods over the last twenty years and was stuck in his ways.

If you are making a case for those that followed on from making claims against the Lourdes Hospital Redress scheme seeking redress against the state I am at a loss.

Hi Rahood, I never felt comfortable with I Am Not A Laywer acronym :)

If a doc fecks up - fact that he/she is a
bumbling old fool that had failed to update his methods over the last twenty years and was stuck in his/her ways
Is Not A Defence (INAD)

I cannot go into details but my wife and I sued a paediatrician who injured one of our children while examining the child.
No suggestion of ill intent, just fecking up is enough.

Doc settled out of court.

So why wasn't Neary sued?

Rahood

Vega1447 said:
Rahood said:

Hi Rahood, I never felt comfortable with I Am Not A Laywer acronym :)

If a doc fecks up - fact that he/she is a
bumbling old fool that had failed to update his methods over the last twenty years and was stuck in his/her ways
Is Not A Defence (INAD)

I cannot go into details but my wife and I sued a paediatrician who injured one of our children while examining the child.
No suggestion of ill intent, just fecking up is enough.

Doc settled out of court.

I'm sorry to read but happy to read that you had an outcome that you are happy with (if that makes sense )

Neary was a product of old Ireland. He was secure in his methods and never seen a need to change; countless times he was to instructed read up on his field and update his knowledge but the state never followed up, 'twas not him in court.. Times change, I hope that he was the last of them

Rahood

Aindriu said:
Rahood said:

Bollax did he! He sterilised young women for now other reason than he could! I find it appalling that anyone is prepared to support him!
Just to clear for those that are a little slow on the uptake. I see nobody in this thread supporting what he did in any way....

Vega1447

Rahood said:
I'm sorry to read but happy to read that you had an outcome that you are happy with (if that makes sense )

Neary was a product of old Ireland. Times change, I hope that he was the last of them[/quote]
Thanks (genuinely) for good wishes. My child is fine.

But I'm still not clear why Neary wasn't sued.

You seem confident you know why.

Perhaps (like me above) there are matters that you cannot go into detail about.

Do you have any inside knowledge or are your opinions pure conjecture?

Rahood

Vega1447 said:
Rahood said:

Neary was a product of old Ireland. Times change, I hope that he was the last of them
Thanks (genuinely) for good wishes. My child is fine.

But I'm still not clear why Neary wasn't sued.

You seem confident you know why.

Perhaps (like me above) there are matters that you cannot go into detail about.

Do you have any inside knowledge or are your opinions pure conjecture?[/quote]

I mentioned my Aunt. Thats enough for the intertubes. sorry

Vega1447

Rahood said:
I mentioned my Aunt. Thats enough for the intertubes. sorry
I misread your ref to aged female relative as
"Full disclosure my Aunt!" :oops:

Sorry about that..

Still doesn't explain why he wasn't sued.

My child's case was over 16 years ago - Neary's case(s) about 10 years ago?

Rahood

intertubes

bad pun I know but what the hell , it'll never come up again.

Neary goes back how far ;)

Rahood

I misread your ref to aged female relative as
"Full disclosure my Aunt!" :oops:
I never said he butchered her.

And have nothing more to add to this thread apart from I am glad to hear that things worked out on your end and that your child was OK (....and I hope playing for a minor hurling team next season ;) )