Why Has There Never Been a Computer Game Set Against the Backdrop of the Troubles.

General Urko

Given that we have many computer games based on other conflicts, Nam, Iraq, Korea and countless historical ones, why has there never been a computer game set in the Nordie Troubles, either a shootem Up or a startegic one?

I suppose given that the whole troubles given the mindset of Nordies (both sides) could be restarted by 2 students having a row in a flat, may be it would be to incendiary!:cool:

I have always said a few great comedians will certainly emerge from the conflict, an odd good film e.g. Cal has certainly come from it!:rolleyes:

jmcc

Think there was a First Person Shooter mod for one of the usual FPS games. The two sides were the usual ones. There was also a bit of an outcry over it.

eoghanacht

Spud Gun.

Bagsing that.

GDPR

When I worked in London back in the days, techie boys had an idea for a game called "Shoot the pedestrian on BlackFriars Bridge", or that was what they told me when they thought they would get my knickers down.

Yeesh, saddos. (He s paying bartender - Im just off to the loos) petunia

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
When I worked in London back in the days, techie boys had an idea for a game called "Shoot the pedestrian on BlackFriars Bridge", or that was what they told me when they thought they would get my knickers down.

Yeesh, saddos. (He s paying bartender - Im just off to the loos) petunia
How sad, it evolved in to the reality of mow the pedestrians down on West Minister bridge only a a couple of months ago p.s you did well comrade, always keep your knickers up in a Heathen city me ole gran used to say to her daughters ...:p lol

Catalpast

GDPR

How sad, it evolved in to the reality of mow the pedestrians down on West Minister bridge only a a couple of months ago p.s you did well comrade, always keep your knickers up in a Heathen city me ole gran used to say to her daughters ...:p lol
These knickers are red, they shrouded oft our martyred dead.... Amd ere their limbs grew stiff and cold, they said by heck, that girl will go.

No one sells anything to me based on killing anyone.

Catalpast

These knickers are red, they shrouded oft our martyred dead.... Amd ere their limbs grew stiff and cold, they said by heck, that girl will go.

No one sells anything to me based on killing anyone.
Anti bacterial spray?

TedHankey

No market for it at all. Nobody would play it if it was given away as freeware.

RasherHash

Given that we have many computer games based on other conflicts, Nam, Iraq, Korea and countless historical ones, why has there never been a computer game set in the Nordie Troubles, either a shootem Up or a startegic one?

I suppose given that the whole troubles given the mindset of Nordies (both sides) could be restarted by 2 students having a row in a flat, may be it would be to incendiary!:cool:

I have always said a few great comedians will certainly emerge from the conflict, an odd good film e.g. Cal has certainly come from it!:rolleyes:
It could based on the Warrenpoint ambush :)

General Urko

No market for it at all. Nobody would play it if it was given away as freeware.
Surely some of the many alcoholic fooktards, with loads of time on their hands now, from Portadown, Ballymeena, The Falls, Crossmaglen and The Shankhill, would be very interested in it:cool:

DexterGreen22

Did they not have a character in one of the Grand Theft Auto games who was ex-IRA?

I was never really all that into computer games even when I was younger but someone mentioned this to me once.

storybud1

Call of Duty Style, - Battle of the Boyne ,(strategy, stealth, FPS, the lot) where the Williamite invaders were defeated by the native heroes?

Would drive the the lads in the lodges mental,

Sure they just ignore the history books anyway, but claim to know it all,

Catalpast

Call of Duty Style, - Battle of the Boyne ,(strategy, stealth, FPS, the lot) where the Williamite invaders were defeated by the native heroes?

Would drive the the lads in the lodges mental,

Sure they just ignore the history books anyway, but claim to know it all,
Here is a scenario from Pike&Shot game by Slitherine on the famous battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_6mDTn7MM&t=902s

Blacknorth

Still too raw I think, even a game about the Rising or the War of Independence would cause uproar.

Blacknorth

Although I think it would be really interesting, especially if it was done in a way which was historically accurate and not trying to be propaganda for either side. Kind of the way Battlefield 1 was made and the new Call of Duty game. Gamers and historians alike have praised these. Actually acting as a great educational tool as well.

jmcc

Still too raw I think, even a game about the Rising or the War of Independence would cause uproar.
Think there was a 1916 GPO map for one of the early FPS games probably about 20 years ago. That was when a lot of people used to do custom maps for the Doom and Quake.

TedHankey

Although I think it would be really interesting, especially if it was done in a way which was historically accurate and not trying to be propaganda for either side. Kind of the way Battlefield 1 was made and the new Call of Duty game. Gamers and historians alike have praised these. Actually acting as a great educational tool as well.
Battlefield and CoD are set in WWI & WWII respectively. These are open and large scale war situations so are perfect really for fps games. The Troubles on the other hand was one of the worlds largest nations (militarily) knocking the sh!te out of a tiny insignificant (militarily) nation. It was mostly guerrilla style stuff, not much confrontation. Not a lot of scope there really for developing story lines or scenarios or missions. Stuff which has been based on counter-terrorism like Counter-Strike, SWAT or Rainbow Six tend more towards fiction than reality.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies