Why have civil service employment numbers failed to decrease in austerity programme?

patslatt

Damien Kilberd's article in today's Sunday Times (link unavailable) points out that civil service employment numbers have stabilised in recent years under the austerity programme but with large numbers of civil servants retiring to the gold plated pensions payroll,that is equivalent to an increase in employment numbers.

This raises the question of why employment numbers haven't decreased in austerity. Retirements must be at least 3% of the workforce,assuming an average 33 year career,while the numbers quitting voluntarily must be at least another 1 to 2% (private sector turnover is probably 10% plus). If the government ban on recruitment was applied,presumably the civil service would have dropped by about 8 to 10% in the past two years.

My take on these numbers is that public sector unions successfully blackmailed the government into the Croke Park agreement by refusing to cooperate in allowing transfers between departments and other productivity measures that would allow the civil service to function on reduced numbers. What is the evidence following the Croke Park deal that the government now has that cooperation? I await this with bated breath!

wombat

civil service employment numbers have stabilised in recent years .....that is equivalent to an increase in employment numbers.
!
Has this got anything to do with a new maths curriculum or are you just bad at arithmetic?:lol:

wombat

Do you understand the meaning of equivalent?
Obviously not. In my world, if a measured value stabilises, it stops increasing or decreasing. I know, the internet is different?:lol:

truthflyer

"Why have civil service employment numbers failed to decrease in austerity programme?"

Because they are part of the inner circle of wasters and parasites!

firefly123

Pat are you able to type the word pension without putting something like gold plated or diamond encrusted or rolls royce in front of it first? Is it some form of typing tourettes that you suffer from?

I like the 33 year average. So what your saying is that most public servants dont ever go on to get a full pension?

Tumbrel Cart

Tumbrel Cart

The reason civil service numbers have not fallen is simple. Most organizations take their lead and ethos from the top.
At the top of the ladder, three TD's have left the Dail. But they will be replaced. So no reduction in numbers at the top. Therefore little reduction at other levels. Also no real reduction in bonanza salaries or expenses at the top.
What reduction in numbers there has been accounts for more economic illiteracy. The lower paid temporary workers should never have been laid off.
One fat civil service cat= 5 lower paid civil servants. There are a lot of very fat cats in the wider public service.

Luigi Vampa

Another pathetic attempt to divert attention away from the 100 Billion banking and development fraud.

dresden8

Obviously confusing Public Sector and Civil Service.

My take on these numbers is that public sector unions successfully blackmailed the government into the Croke Park agreement by refusing to cooperate in allowing transfers between departments and other productivity measures that would allow the civil service to function on reduced numbers. What is the evidence following the Croke Park deal that the government now has that cooperation? I await this with bated breath!
Are you confusing public sector and civil service?

The Croke Park deal was to reduce numbers in the public sector overall and allow transfers to areas where extra numbers were needed.

For example, the Department of Social Protection has faced a huge increase in it's workload, while a lot of people have retired early.

If the numbers in the self same department have stayed steady or actually increased it proves the opposite of your thesis.

Where people have left the civil service and numbers in the relevant department have stayed static or increased then surely the re-deployment clauses of the Croke Park agreement, from public sector to civil service have actually worked marvellously well.

I do wish some of you PS bashers would try sometimes, maybe even once, to think something through.

If that's what Kiberd wrote (I haven't read it), he's shown himself up to be somewhat of a twat. But no moreso than you.

Bravo to the public sector workers for sticking to their word.

Last edited:

adamirer

virtually every facet of what patslatt wrote is wrong, from the numbers employed, where the deal is at, the result of central negotiations on thursday, the start of local implementation of those negs on monday, to the farcical notion the utterly impotent civil service unions could blackmail their way out of... ermm.... a paper bag.

You're just a sad little man and you need a new hobby, because this is getting very tired and you're hopelessly uninformed.

Last edited:

dresden8

to the farcical notion the uteerly impotent civil service unions could blackmail their way out of... ermm.... a paper bag.
Indeed, the civil service unions blackmailed the government into retaining the "pension levy" and the paycut.

Double bluffed those government negotiators we did.

Somehow.

captainwillard

I love these anti PS threads. They pander to my sense of moral indignation. Keep up the good work guys.

turdsl

Look at the money retiring TDs are getting, Brian Lenihan gave a rise to the people in Anglo. There is only one way to implement austerity measures, by example, people will follow,

Pabilito

Patslatt represents the demographic that finds the crossword in The Sun challenging.
Does anyone know what Baron Von Biffo does for a living?.

He is the most vociferous proponent of the PS here yet he constantly denies any vested interest and never states what he actually does for a living if anything!. Strange don’t you think?

dresden8

Does anyone know what Baron Von Biffo does for a living?.

He is the most vociferous proponent of the PS here yet he constantly denies any vested interest and never states what he actually does for a living if anything!. Strange don’t you think?
Does anyone know what Pabilito does for a living?.

captainwillard

Does anyone know what Pabilito does for a living?.

Two brilliant posts. Thanks guys.:p

dresden8

Two brilliant posts. Thanks guys.:p
Pabilito had tried this before.

He can't destroy the Baron's arguements because the Baron is too smart for him.

So he's trying (and failing) to destroy his character instead, by making him a hated public sector worker.