• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why I no longer support FG

riker1969

I have voted FG in every election since 1997 and been an active member 2004-2011. That involved a mixture of canvassing and leaflet dropping. My main motivation was to oust FF and a general high regard for one Particular FG TD and for past leaders (Bruton/Fitzgerald/Dukes). I also foolishly believed the Social Democratic wing of FG was still alive after Garret

But Now I quit and walk away for a number of reasons

1) The failure to bring real political reform.ie a list system (even partial) the removal of TDS from Constituencies once they become Ministers. I do applaud the abolition of the seanad but will believe it when I see it. The Constitutional Convention is a waste of time/money. Gay marriage and the Presidential Term ??! Thats it?

2) The failure to get a deal on Bank Debt. I was willing to suspend my cynicism about the softly softly behind the scenes approach for a year but here we are 18 months on with nothing and even if a deal happens, it will only be a paltry offer at best. As Stephen Donnelly pointed out ,there is no link between the IMF deal and this immoral appeasement of German Banks.

3)The Anti public sector strain in FG that avoids real meaningful discussion but instead just issues vague condemnation of the public sector. Incessant moaning. A lot of the time its simply playing to the Gallery and its demoralising for those of us that have offered huge changes in productivity. I didnt appreciate Quinn unilaterally announcing JC reform without making sure training was in place. It will be a disaster but I didnt see FG provide any credible criticism.

Anyway ULA? Labour. Not sure.

ruserious

I have voted FG in every election since 1997 and been an active member 2004-2011. That involved a mixture of canvassing and leaflet dropping. My main motivation was to oust FF and a general high regard for one Particular FG TD and for past leaders (Bruton/Fitzgerald/Dukes). I also foolishly believed the Social Democratic wing of FG was still alive after Garret

But Now I quit and walk away for a number of reasons

1) The failure to bring real political reform.ie a list system (even partial) the removal of TDS from Constituencies once they become Ministers. I do applaud the abolition of the seanad but will believe it when I see it. The Constitutional Convention is a waste of time/money. Gay marriage and the Presidential Term ??! Thats it?

2) The failure to get a deal on Bank Debt. I was willing to suspend my cynicism about the softly softly behind the scenes approach for a year but here we are 18 months on with nothing and even if a deal happens it will only be a paltry offer at best. As Stephen Donnelly pointed out there is no link between the IMF deal and this immoral appeasement of German Banks.

3)The Anti public sector strain in FG that avoids real meaningful discussion but instead just issues vague condemnation of the public sector. A lot of the time its simply playing to the Gallery and its demoralising for those of us that have offered huge changes in productivity. I didnt appreciate Quinn unilaterally announcing JC reform without making sure training was in place. It will be a disaster but I didnt see FG provide any credible criticism.

Anyway ULA? Labour. Not sure.
Labour? Is that not like hopping out of bed with Dracula only to jump into another with Frankenstein?

Sister Mercedes

I think #3 is the big one for you. The rest is fluff.

Public Sector posters on this site tend not to have many dimensions.

commonman

I voted for FG the last time like a fool i believed all Enda and his party were saying they do,

riker1969

I think #3 is the big one for you. The rest is fluff.

Public Sector posters on this site don't have many dimensions.

You mean Im a hologram. Im not 3-D? I always noticed light passed through me. Thanks for the mind reading. Will I now offer my palm..believe ikt or not they are listed in order but thanks for the knee jerk criticism!

sport02

I voted for FG the last time like a fool i believed all Enda and his party were saying they do,
If the election last year was ten days earlier Fine Gael would of got my first preference vote.
I sensed they were backtracking and took a punt on SF for the first time.

commonman

If the election last year was ten days earlier Fine Gael would of got my first preference vote.
I sensed they were backtracking and took a punt on SF for the first time.
Going that way my self the next time we have an election

Angler

You have arrived at a point like many others . I believe any and all Political Parties will disappoint in the end , personalities and careers take over . I offer no advice , but I believe single issue activism to be the best alternative .

Rural

Labour? Is that not like hopping out of bed with Dracula only to jump into another with Frankenstein?
Frankenstein just created a monster, oh yeh, FF, Greens, FG, Lab, .....Frankenstein, I wave my fist at you.

commonman

I though that there might be a new party come in to play with all thats going on in politics it did not happened yet.

sport02

Even writing ULA makes me
wonder how you could ever
have been a FG supporter in
the first place.
I cannot speak for Riker but complete bewilderment? Issues with SF? Or to bloody send the establishment parties an effing message
to up their game?

Rural

I though that there might be a new party come in to play with all thats going on in politics it did not happened yet.
Because, the cold harsh reality is that a seat is inherited, I do blame the Electorate for this as only they are to blame. I say they, as I never vote that way, alone I am.:(

wicklowperson

I voted FG in last election and will continue to vote that way, Goverenment parties of FG and Labour doing well under very difficult circumstances. What is on offer from SF/ULA /People before Profit "nothing except words and emotive comments on issues like Health / Tax and of course the banks. Live in the real world what country anywhere in the world is doing well?

Casualbets

A list system would be politically retrogressive , not political reform. And what would be the point of Fine Gael proposing it, as it would have absolutely zilch chance of being passed in a referendum? And how do you "remove" a minister from a constituency, given that he or she will be seeking to hold their seat in that constituency next time?? On those matters, I'd give Fine Gael a pass.

BUT... you're right, the Constitutional convention is the most anodyne "Radical reform" there has ever been. This is not the forum for discussing Gay Marriage and as regards the Presidency, surely the most blindingly obvious reform needed is the opening up of the Nomination process - instead they are going to waffle about should Presidents run for 5 or 7 years..

That's before I even get to - I'm warming to my task here - the government's ather act of political retrogressivism dressed up in the increasingly shabby clothes of "Political Reform" - Gender Quotas aka The Act of enabling a Small Cadre of Elite Ambitious Women at the Expense of Ignoring The Opinion of The Ordinary Party Members....

One could be forgiven for thinking that the Government were more concerned about placating the commentariat with morsels of worthiness rather than real and substantive "reform"....

Teabag

I voted for them last time out but never again.
They have been cowardly in their inaction.
Bullied by Labour, weak leadership, the usual self serving TDs many of whom coasting to a cushy retirement.
History will be very hard on them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies