Why is an Irish Mother languishing in jail for refusing to make her children homeless?

james toney

Yvonne Walsh, a mother of two teenage children, is currently being held in Mountjoy Women’s Prison, on contempt of a High Court order, obtained by Paul McCann receiver, on foot of loans given to her former partner (none of which Yvonne was party to), to surrender possession of her family home. Her refusal to do so is based on complex legal grounds, and, if she surrenders, she and her children will be made homeless.

These salient facts were ‘overlooked ‘ or deliberately misrepresented by mainstream media, who favoured the ‘didn’t pay her mortgage’ and ‘wants a €1 million property for nothing’ story.
This ‘valuation’ figure bandied about in the media for purely shock value, wasn’t dated and remains unsubstantiated.

Some very serious issues have arisen in Yvonne’s case, most notably that of equality of arms or the distinct lack thereof in the Irish judicial system.

Article 38.1 of Bunreacht na h-Éireann, and Article 6 of the European Charter of Human Rights supposedly protect the right to equal access to justice.

Mum-of-two ‘refusing food in prison’ after being arrested for contempt of court'

https://extra.ie/2018/05/10/news/irish-news/yvonne-walsh-refusing-food-mountjoy-prison

Also the independent gave Yvonne an apology as far back as 2010....see link here.....'Clarification and apology: Yvonne Walsh' https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/clarification-and-apology-yvonne-walsh-26697113.html

[video=youtube;QyuLjHfLqq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyuLjHfLqq8[/video]

This is clearly an injustice to this woman and her family....surely the government should intervene and release her.
If only she had done something like massive tax or bank fraud ...she would be walking the streets today....but as we all know,there is a two tier justice system in Ireland.

mr_anderson

Anyone have a link to the actual full facts in the case, rather than just opinion based upon one side of the story ?

james toney

Just take the bankers and vulture funds word for it....they would never lie. They always have the full facts....according to themselves.

Lagertha

Not another one of these stories. Woman who didn't make her mortgage payments loses home, does't obey the law and ends up in jail. Am I supposed to feel sorry for her? If so why? Because she has an attitude of entitlement and thinks the law doesn't apply to her? Fook her.

PBP voter

Just take the bankers and vulture funds word for it....they would never lie. They always have the full facts....according to themselves.

What posters are asking for is details on the "complex legal grounds" on which she refuses to comply with the court order.

There are genuine cases where the banks were in the wrong.
. Eg tracker mortgages scandal.

They are cases where people borrowed too much and couldn't pay back what they borrowed. Eg Gorse Hill.

TomBreen

Need more details,
Contempt of court may be separate to her other troubles, also we need a timeline.

What we do know that between the two newspaper reports there is eight years.

GDPR

The so called "law" in Ireland was written by landlords - for the profit of landlords. The Irish people are merely a means of profit for this criminal gang.

Dame_Enda

Who is the owner of the property?

If its not her, then I dont think it should be considered collateral for a loan.

I have always refused to seek loans because I dont want third parties having the ability to make me homeless.

GDPR

Who is the owner of the property?

If its not her, then I dont think it should be considered collateral for a loan.

I have always refused to seek loans because I dont want third parties having the ability to make me homeless.
The worst of it now is that you think you are taking a loan from a long standing Irish institution - only to find that the loan has been sold on to some faceless gangsters in London or New York - and you are now in their power.

mr_anderson

The worst of it now is that you think you are taking a loan from a long standing Irish institution - only to find that the loan has been sold on to some faceless gangsters in London or New York - and you are now in their power.

You do realise that paying off the loan, as you're contractually obliged, tends to have the remarkable effect of not getting your house repossessed.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Interesting notion behind the subject heading. 'Irish Mother' as if they should be some specially protected species.

I think there was an excellent way for this lady to have kept herself out of the hands of vulture funds etc and that is to ensure that the mortgage was paid. Whether that involved going on the game or whatever it took is irrelevant.

I think anyone who tries to count on the fact that the mortgage is unpaid but because she is a mother with kids that this is some kind of sanctuary or immunity from the harsh realities of banks and vulture funds and the way they operate is a bit silly.

Where is the former partner in all this? Because the marriage has gone west he presumably still has responsibility for maintenance to her and to prevent the kids being made homeless.

This lady is gambling on a notion that because of her status she gets to continue living in an expensive property for nothing.

I think she is quite likely stressing her children as well and would be much better off getting them out of it even on a downsized proposition.

Uganda

Yvonne Walsh, a mother of two teenage children, is currently being held in Mountjoy Women’s Prison, on contempt of a High Court order, obtained by Paul McCann receiver, on foot of loans given to her former partner (none of which Yvonne was party to), to surrender possession of her family home. Her refusal to do so is based on complex legal grounds, and, if she surrenders, she and her children will be made homeless.

These salient facts were ‘overlooked ‘ or deliberately misrepresented by mainstream media, who favoured the ‘didn’t pay her mortgage’ and ‘wants a €1 million property for nothing’ story.
This ‘valuation’ figure bandied about in the media for purely shock value, wasn’t dated and remains unsubstantiated.

Some very serious issues have arisen in Yvonne’s case, most notably that of equality of arms or the distinct lack thereof in the Irish judicial system.

Article 38.1 of Bunreacht na h-Éireann, and Article 6 of the European Charter of Human Rights supposedly protect the right to equal access to justice.

Mum-of-two ‘refusing food in prison’ after being arrested for contempt of court'

https://extra.ie/2018/05/10/news/irish-news/yvonne-walsh-refusing-food-mountjoy-prison

Also the independent gave Yvonne an apology as far back as 2010....see link here.....'Clarification and apology: Yvonne Walsh' https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/clarification-and-apology-yvonne-walsh-26697113.html

[video=youtube;QyuLjHfLqq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyuLjHfLqq8[/video]

This is clearly an injustice to this woman and her family....surely the government should intervene and release her.
If only she had done something like massive tax or bank fraud ...she would be walking the streets today....but as we all know,there is a two tier justice system in Ireland.
Jerry beades. Nuff said.

Craigmore..

So the house was co-owned? Too bad for her. The perfect lesson of why being a master if your own fate is so important.

nationalsday

Interesting notion behind the subject heading. 'Irish Mother' as if they should be some specially protected species.

I think there was an excellent way for this lady to have kept herself out of the hands of vulture funds etc and that is to ensure that the mortgage was paid. Whether that involved going on the game or whatever it took is irrelevant.

I think anyone who tries to count on the fact that the mortgage is unpaid but because she is a mother with kids that this is some kind of sanctuary or immunity from the harsh realities of banks and vulture funds and the way they operate is a bit silly.

Where is the former partner in all this? Because the marriage has gone west he presumably still has responsibility for maintenance to her and to prevent the kids being made homeless.

This lady is gambling on a notion that because of her status she gets to continue living in an expensive property for nothing.

I think she is quite likely stressing her children as well and would be much better off getting them out of it even on a downsized proposition.
Yeah that's right - the father is entirely to blame for all of this solely by reason of his gender.
Probably an unmarried father and therefore without guardianship or access rights to his children by law

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yeah that's right - the father is entirely to blame for all of this solely by reason of his gender.
Probably an unmarried father and therefore without guardianship or access rights to his children by law
Not saying that at all. What I am saying is that his two kids face being made homeless. I don't see him being mentioned at all in all this.

Supposing hypothetically he has gone bankrupt, he still has some cash or business interests hidden away, would he be in the background unofficially advising the ex-missus not to move and to campaign on the basis she has been deserted?

Bearing in mind we have seen more than one interesting manouever from the wives of the 'ballsy people' over the last few years including Mrs Drumm suddenly becoming a property investor with assets completely of her own and nothing to do with David at all, at all, and that was for the optics of a Massachusetts court- which incidentally didn't fool them at all.

I'd need to know a lot more about the circumstances of this case in question before I'd make any campaign for the lady in question to just sit in a million euro property without paying rent or mortgage simply on the basis that she and her ex got in over their heads in an effort at a wealthy lifestyle.

I am reminded of a case where a woman in similar reduced circumstances actually tried to make a case that her children should be allowed or funded by the state, effectively to remain in their private schools even though she herself couldn't afford the bills. There was no actual rationale beyond a sense of entitlement it wouldn't enter her head to take them out of the billing school and put them in the local state school.

We have, unfortunately, a certain small section of the population who feel that the rules of life that everyone else has no choice but to adhere to do not apply to them. No reason for this notion is ever given.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I do know of a case where in a re-organisation of a business and its borrowings a bank suggested that they needed the signatures of both the business owner and his spouse on documents agreeing a combination of existing loans into one overhead.

The spouse quite rightly refused to sign the document as she and her husband had built their own home and it was mortgage free and an asset in their joint names whereas the business didn't have her name on it anywhere as someone with any interest in the business- and she doesn't.

The bank were arguing that the couple needed to provide collateral and that would be the family home. So she steadfastly refused to provide her share of the family home as collateral on a re-organised business loan on a business in which she had no in interest.

When the bank found out she knew what she was about- was a lawyer herself and well able to read the small print they backed off really fast and a new way of agreeing the deal was found without demanding she put up her share of the family home as collateral.

I wonder how many 'non-recourse' loans were agreed back in the celtic tiger days- indeed Drumm seems to be in the frame for providing what are called 'illegal' loans in the ongoing charges against him but that I believe is more in connection with the Maple 10 ramping caper rather than Fitzpatrick's backstairs loan system devoid of protection for the bank's shareholders that we know about.

The banks appear to be searching for collateral these days that was sorely missing in the celtic tiger years with all the non-recoursing lending that was going on and in some cases demanding collateral they'd have no right to demand.

In short your banker is as much a chancer in any market as the average racecourse hanger-on.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In an environment where conspicuous consumption is seen as a marker of success the average banker in that has a role somewhat akin to a heroin dealer.

I'm fairly amused these days that whenever I go online to check my bank balance or pay a bill or whatever I'm immediately under gentle assault with credit- would I like an overdraft facility of £7k? Not sure why they think I would need that as I don't have an overdraft at all.

Wouldn't I like a new car? They could arrange a PP thingy for me in split seconds that could mean I'd be driving new BMW around the place in days. Why they think I'd need that emotionally or physically is never explained.

Wouldn't I like a 15k loan? The other day I got a Messaging offer from Porsche to come in and have a test drive on one of their models.

They've either got me mixed up with some Arab prince in their credit scoring or the banks are again using the heroin dealer's method of getting loans out there ahead of interest rates going up at some point.

F*ck nows what social and personal disasters we'll be reading about in a few years time when the sh*t currently being distributed willy nilly actually reaches the inevitable fan.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies