• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why is Brian Crowley so popular?

Vega1447

I live in the South constituency and all I have seen of him is his posters.

Does he have enough localised support in Cork to get (?) 30% in South?

Genuinely puzzled.

Question R24U

I asked someone this question earlier, they came up with the less than pc approach that Irish people have sympathy and support for the underdog.

I have met him and he is a fairly likeable person but i do not understand the buzz which surrounds him (he also seems to poll very well with women).

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
is it not cos his td father not the wheechair but he certainly uses it see this puke
Character

He received a diploma in law in 1993 from University College Cork, and the following year he was nominated by the Taoiseach Albert Reynolds to the 20th Seanad Éirean

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4882157.ece

He father, Flor, was the local TD and a supporter of Charles Haughey who ran a pub...

In 1993 Albert Reynolds offered him a seat in the Seanad. Local gossip has it that the then taoiseach’s offer was to compensate Crowley’s father for not being given the chairmanship of a local college.

Last edited:

anlkestony

Can't think of anything he has ever done. He will be looking for the President's job. Can't believe that he will get it though

Verhofstadt

Website
Still don't get it.

Will never understand the Irish Electorate, especially in the provinces.

What has Brian Crowley done for the country?

White Horse

Sympathy vote. Simple.

Not that there is anything wrong with voters showing a bit of sympathy.

cricket

Wheelchair and the fact that he prays to St. Mary of Guadoloupe.
He has blandness down to a fine art.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Heaven knows, but his big smiley 'Owen Wilson' head is looking down on me everywhere I go, because for some reason, despite being right on the Dublin border, I share a constituency with him, but not with Dublin politicians who live a few hundred yards from my front door.

I'd love to know what bell-end designed the boundaries.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Sympathy vote. Simple.

Not that there is anything wrong with voters showing a bit of sympathy.
There kind of is when the politician in question is part of a party which showed sod all sympathy to the people of this country, the last time it was in power.

Goa Tse

It's his lovely flowing blond mane of surfer-dude hair.

Oh and the wheelchair.

linny55

No reason why he's popular , havent heard a word from him since the last election.

LINKS FAHREN

He's the answer to the Third Secret of Fatima.

locke

Here's what I really don't get.

Around 30% of the constituency is new, so he should really be struggling to get to his previous numbers. Instead he's exceeding them.

Analyzer

It seems that a section of the electorate votes for people who have an image of needing help, when really they are just fakes operating behind a successful veneer. The media seems deteremined to help these types out. Perhaps they are ticking all the boxes of "our advertising sponsors" ? who knows ?

I used to ask a similar question in relation to Frank Ross.

Then he revealed himself to be an ignorant boor over the issue of "we-need-to-talk-about-Kevin", and his crass performance when Nessa Childers asked the hard questions.

And then there is the issue of Gay Mitchel. That is completely baffling. He topped the poll in Dublin more than once. But in the Preisdential election, there were boxes west of the Shannon where he did not register a single solitary vote.

RoundyMooney

Oh he popped his head up quickly enough when he thought he had a shot at the presidency. A spoofer.

And he'll top the poll.

F

Faillandia

He appeals to people who are not really interested in politics. For FF voters he is someone they have never had to be ashamed of or worry that they might be. He will be there until he decides he's had enough and there's nothing we can do about it.

He has no interest in real power. Never itched to come home and be a minister. The Presidency appeals to him exactly because it has no power. There is probably one FF seat in the south anyway so he is not blocking anyone progressive.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Here's what I really don't get.

Around 30% of the constituency is new, so he should really be struggling to get to his previous numbers. Instead he's exceeding them.
There hasn't been a vote yet

Sync

1. He's an mep who actually cares about being an MEP. He's not there because he lost a Td vote or had a fight with the leadership. He wants to be an MEP.

2. He shows up. Iirc he was the mep with the highest attendance rate. It does matter.

3. He's able to point to some decent achievements. He sits on various EU boards and actually contributes, he's had legislation passed etc.