• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why is Immigration still the Elephant in the room?

We all know the troubles Ireland have.

We all know how high unemployment is.

But yet not one political party has yet mentioned immigration?

Why is this?

50,000 people have entered Ireland this year alone, sure some maybe going home but others are coming.

Why is Immigration still the elephant in the room.

Why do no TD`s question on the madness of letting in 50,000 people at a time Ireland is close to bankruptcy?

Propforward

Why is this?

50,000 people have entered Ireland this year alone, sure some maybe going home but others are coming.

Why do no TD`s question on the madness of letting in 50,000 people at a time Ireland is close to bankruptcy?
With unemployment risiong all over europe, is it any wonder that people would come to the land of welfare milk and honey?

Aindriu

With unemployment risiong all over europe, is it any wonder that people would come to the land of welfare milk and honey?
Meanwhile, self employed tradesmen and company directors whose companies collapse aren't eligible for any social welfare payments. :mad:

Propforward

Meanwhile, self employed tradesmen and company directors whose companies collapse aren't eligible for any social welfare payments. :mad:
Sure why would they? have they not sorted out multiple massive pensions for themselves like the good people in the government???

PAD10H

oh look the snivelling racists and xenophobes are using their favourite card.

Aindriu

Sure why would they? have they not sorted out multiple massive pensions for themselves like the good people in the government???
Contractors are classed as company directors. I haven't got multiple massive pensions lined up and have just been told that my current contract will end on Oct 2nd. That puts me with no income yet I can't sign on for dole or claim any other benefits!

Self employed people get feck all and immigrants do where is that fair??????

louis bernard

Because we are burdened with useless spineless PC politicians (government and opposition) who only think of themselves and how they either get power or stay in power. They couldn’t care less about the moronic sheep that elect them. This all harks back to the foundation of the state. De Velera actually consulted an Archbishop before he wrote his constitution.

Propforward

4 posts in and the racist fanciers are out...

speculate if you will why 50000 people came to a country that is losing jobs like there is no tomorrow (and their might not be)

is it the weather, the political stability, or our open hearts and playful wit?

(If i lost my job and the UK where paying 4 times the scratch i would go - would i be a victim of racism?)

constitutionus

Why is this?

because not only does this not affect any of the politicians and their backers.

they benifited from massviely distorting the labour market.

you dont think they give a toss about ordinary people do you ? :)

Perhaps because those immigrants who (lawfully) came to Ireland during the boom are now leaving in their droves?

What's your problem with people who are perfectly entitled to come to Ireland, coming here to live and work?

I think you'll find that all political parties are very vociferous with regard to ILLEGAL immigration, which is of course an entirely different thing

This debate isnt about why they are here.

Its why has no political party mentioned the very question on immigration?

Why havent we seen the protectionist attitudes or calls for Irish jobs for Irish people?

Why is it we have no new far right political parties starting up demanding a halt to immigration?

Why have all the main political parties with the exception of Sinn Fein supported the Yes vote on Europe?

My point is that there seems to be a lack of traditional patriotic values.

Rightly or wrongly for this, I am asking the question why has Immigration become the Elephant?

Immigration is more questioned in other parts of Europe, but in Ireland it hardly gets a mention from political parties or mainstream media.

Surely if any political party did take up the question they would actually win favor from a large number of people.

It is said that one of the reasons the NO vote was won in the last Lisbon Treaty was because of immigration. And yet this was never considered as a offical reason.

Propforward

Contractors are classed as company directors. I haven't got multiple massive pensions lined up and have just been told that my current contract will end on Oct 2nd. That puts me with no income yet I can't sign on for dole or claim any other benefits!

Self employed people get feck all and immigrants do where is that fair??????
Dude i fully agree - i needed a smiley face on the end of my comment or something...

I'm sorry to hear of your situation - i lost my job in april but was lucky to get back to work in july...

It is a ridiculous situation and we need restitution, revolution and reform of our government immediatly

kerdasi amaq

It makes no real difference(if they are legal or illegal) they are competing for jobs in Ireland and making it harder, for Irish people to get jobs and live in their own land. This is self-inflicted competition(thanks to our self-interested politicians and intellectual laziness of the electorate) which we as a sovereign nation could have avoided!

PAD10H

4 posts in and the racist fanciers are out...

speculate if you will why 50000 people came to a country that is losing jobs like there is no tomorrow (and their might not be)
it's a misrepresntation of the dynamics of immigration.

It is a tactic that is used by everyone from the BNP to the Nazi party.

Propforward

I am not anymore a racist than you - your argument is just typical obtuseness when presented with something you can't explain without agreeing with the opponent... if you have a gap fill it with racism...

PAD10H

This debate isnt about why they are here.

Its why has no political party mentioned the very question on immigration?
ok fair enough.

could it be that they don't want to be accused of scaremongering, inciting/enflaming racism or capitalising on the very real fear people have about their jobs?

imsopeedoff

I'll tell you why the elephant remains, every mention or conversation of immigration no matter how valid, brings accusations of :

Every thread on p.ie that ever touched on it was derailed post haste, newspapers tip-toe around it, media won't touch it either. The PC brigade have clamped the mouths and minds of anyone who dares to speak about it. Sickening that we can't discuss frankly and dispassionately, an issue which impacts all our lives and livelihoods so profoundly.

vanla sighs

Why is this?

We're getting a Vote No flyer printed up and in it we refer to the veto and immigration, of course I was called a racist by a Fine Gaeler. Well, he couldn't have called me a fascist I guess......lol Immigration is an issue that will have to be addressed....the country is falling to pieces and as you said folks are still coming into Ireland. I'm not anti-immigration, I am for controlled immigration.....a BIG difference.

Years back I meet an Irish ambassador to an east European country and we'd a short chat about what was going to happen after the eastern countries joined the club.....we both agreed unrestricted access was crazy. This view isn't exactly radical or anything! But unlike most of the EU that's what the government opted for. Yes, we needed foreign workers back then, we CERTAINLY don't require foreign workers now. The government could have opted for a work permit or quota system if I'm not mistaken. What gets me is that many of the foreign workers who came in worked in minimum wage jobs and didn't have to pay income tax (or if they did very little) Yet after 2 years of having worked are entitled to go on the dole and stay on it indefinetly....especially now as there are no jobs! There's no real incentive for them to go back to their home countries as the dole here would beat paid employment and definetly the doe in their own countries. There are tens of thousands of foreigners on the dole here in Ireland now. Costing the State hundreds of millions. Money that we desperately need!

I don't know how we can now just turn around and say: bye! But what the government (sorry excuse that it is) can do is raise the qualifying period for dole from the current 2 years to say 5 years (or longer) But they haven't done that, of course. What they did do was reduce the doe for the under 20's recently (the vast majority who are Irish) So, basically hit the Irish, hit the citizen but leave the foreigner untouched. Sorry but that is a raw deal.

If the government doesn't address that issue there could come a time in the not too distant future when the people will. And the fact is that it isn't the fault of foreigners, it is the fault of the so-called government. I am NOT anti-foreigner (and if anyone knew me personally they would realise that oh so well) or any such thing but I think a real debate needs to be had on this issue. As things get much worse economically, and they will, the anger of Irish people will increase. I make no apologies for saying that the first duty of the Irish State is to the Irish people.

I consider myself leftwing, not rightwing by the way.

Last edited: