Why is Mayo Co.Co. tendering for 4 new houses to be built here?

MsAnneThrope

Occasionally I visit the e-tenders site to see where our money is being spent.

I came across this tender put out by Mayo County Council last Friday, May 8th, for the construction of "a 4 House Development at Lavymore, Charlestown, Co. Mayo"

Daft.ie alone has over 100 vacant properties in Charlestown, including this 20 house development at Knoxville Manor which has plenty of vacant units for sale.

So why is Mayo County Council looking for tenders to build 4 new houses when they're surrounded left, right and center by existing empty ones, including several that are side-by-side if that is a requirement?

Does anybody know anything else about this development?

Q

Q.Harry

Hi MsAnneThrope and posters, good thread. I'm having a similiar uphill battle on my own thread on something like this. Maybe its just so somebody can sell, and make money on land? I mean it seems crazy, 100 vacant buildings, and more are been built- surely this is not right?

Gruffalo

That is weird. Are you from the area?

Do you fancy emailing the council and requesting an answer? because that takes some explaining.

Q

Q.Harry

wait if its for elderly people- thats definetly good....sorry don't want to come across as been mean to those old folks!

Q

Q.Harry

but if its not for the elderly, or children or somebody- this is really really weird

MsAnneThrope

That is weird. Are you from the area?

Do you fancy emailing the council and requesting an answer? because that takes some explaining.
I'm not Gruffalo. Not even the province to be honest. But I always like to know why money is being spent on things anywhere in the country. So I posted it in the Connaught forum and I'll give it until tomorrow to see if any of the locals can shed some light on it.

The obvious already occurred to me. Possibly houses for specific care/needs, traveller accomodation, elderly etc, but surely some of those would come out of other departments' budgets who would therefore be tendering for it, and not the local council? If you look at that Knoxville Manor there are many unsold houses there, side by side from what I can see, that could fit the required purpose. Plus loads of other empty houses all around.

I'll wait and see what the others in the area know about it just found it curious that they're looking for new houses to be built at a time like this.

kerrynorth

I worked in this area before for a Local Authority. From the tender information it is not clear what need this housing is meeting. If it is elderly housing it would be 1 bed. Family housing would be 2/3 bed. You will have to ask Mayo CC the question as to whether it is 1 or 2/3 bed accommodation that the tender refers to. If it is 2/3 bed it would be a legitimate question to ask as to whether it would be cheaper to buy - there would be no shortage of willing sellers.

MsAnneThrope

I worked in this area before for a Local Authority. From the tender information it is not clear what need this housing is meeting. If it is elderly housing it would be 1 bed. Family housing would be 2/3 bed. You will have to ask Mayo CC the question as to whether it is 1 or 2/3 bed accommodation that the tender refers to. If it is 2/3 bed it would be a legitimate question to ask as to whether it would be cheaper to buy - there would be no shortage of willing sellers.
That was one of the glaring holes Kerrynorth that triggered my interest. No indication is given as to the size/# of rooms required, any special requirements etc. I'll follow up on it if there's no feedback from the locals. Somebody stands to make a few shillings from this no doubt.

mayodoug

it is for traveller accomadation. Number of families living in the area in caravans on the side of the road for the last number of years.

I did but I don't see why they need to have houses built for them. The country is full of houses of all shapes and sizes available alot cheaper than building new houses.

max99

people wake up..... It's for tinkers,and they are now living there.

Ladel

They should use the houses that are lying empty, it's madness building more.

RainyDay

I did but I don't see why they need to have houses built for them. The country is full of houses of all shapes and sizes available alot cheaper than building new houses.
They should use the houses that are lying empty, it's madness building more.
Tell that to the prospective neighbours of where ever the Travellers are to be located. If they try to put them into an existing estate or development, there will be the usual NIMBY uproar.

Sexual Harassment Panda

Tell that to the prospective neighbours of where ever the Travellers are to be located. If they try to put them into an existing estate or development, there will be the usual NIMBY uproar.
Well yeah, maybe you'd prefer they were moved into your estate? Build them their own houses, highly likely they'll wreck the place and move on anyways, so better it's an individual development.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies