• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Why is Miriam O' Callaghan paid 3 times more than Mark Little?

NapperTandy

Just caught this article in the Irish Mail on Sunday today. Seemingly Miriam is paid three times more than Mark! It seems Mark isn't too happy about the situation. It does seem a bit strange that they are both doing the same job but one is paid three time more than the other?? Would it not make sense to let Miriam go, and get Mark to do more work on Prime Time? It could save RTE €300,000 a year, this is nearly equivalent to the license fee from 1800 households!! RTE don't need to increase the license fee, they just need to get rid of some overpaid deadwood!!

Last edited:

rubensni

Didn't Ireland On Sunday close down three years ago?

NapperTandy

Thanks for the link, YesSireeeBob

The government is considering pulling the plug on a €60m subsidy to RTE for pensioners’ free television licences.

For the second year in a row as part of their budget deliberations, ministers are discussing making the broadcaster, rather than the Department of Social Welfare, carry the cost of licences for over-65s.

Putting the cost on RTE, even though it would represent a sixth (16.6%) of its turnover, would take pressure off the government, which is planning to announce cuts of up to €1 billion in the social welfare budget on December 9.

The licence decision may be influenced by ministers’ anger at the salaries RTE paid its stars last year. These included €570,000 for Marian Finucane and €328,051 for Eamon Dunphy. The broadcaster’s top 10 earned €4.5m last year, headed by Pat Kenny on €950,000, although his salary has fallen to €630,000 after he stepped down as presenter of the Late Late Show and took a 10% cost-saving pay cut.
Miriam's salary represents 0.5% of the pensioner's subsidy. If RTE find 199 other cost saving items like Miriam's salary, the problem that they face will solve itself

slx

Why is she being paid this much? It's not like in this climate there would be any where for her to go!

TV3 have no budget, she's not a big name in the UK (although she has presented Newsnight), but I don't think BBC would be offering her big money.

RTE's salaries seem to be based on some ridiculous notion of self-worth and job opportunities that don't exist.

Mark's a journalist
Miriam's a celebrity journalist.

Hence the ridiculous pay difference.

Malbekh

She's got 8 kids to support?

hammer

RTE pay their staff way too much.

TV Licence boycott next year.

Feck up their cash flow

N17

Just caught this article in Ireland Mail on Sunday today. Seemingly Miriam is paid three times more than Mark! It seems Mark isn't too happy about the situation. It does seem a bit strange that they are both doing the same job but one is paid three time more than the other?? Would it not make sense to let Miriam go, and get Mark to do more work on Prime Time? It could save RTE €300,000 a year, this is nearly equivalent to the license fee from 1800 households!! RTE don't need to increase the license fee, they just need to get rid of some overpaid deadwood!!
I'd pay Miriam anything she asked........

What a woman!!!:lol:

darkhorse

solution: fire both of them and let in some new blood
result: massive savings, improved service

NapperTandy

Are you her husband ?

Are you 70 ?
You talkin to me?;)

This is an example of what we are paying her €300,000 a year for!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4YIXGklgFg"]YouTube - Maire Hoctor - Not ready for PrimeTime[/ame]

belvoboy

Am I getting too cynical if I suspect it's because they want to ensure they have well-paid women.

I don't think Marian Finucane is worth it for 2 programmes a week either.

5 programmes a week is a full-time job of a sort. Radio programmes at weekends but none during the week isn't a full-time job in my books. I'd be hard on Eamon Dunphy's salary too but he also does the TV work.

Lots of them are overpaid but M. O'C and in particular MF seem particularly overpaid.

Fab

probably because she does FF's work for them.Remember her sat night programme about the Criminal Justice Act!

Clanrickard

She is paid more because she is glamorous (by the admittedly low standards of RTE) and there is a dearth of same at RTE in the serious journalism dept. The fact that she has been married to high fliers at the station does not do her any harm

McDave

Doff the Ugg boots Mariam!

Just caught this article in the Irish Mail on Sunday today. Seemingly Miriam is paid three times more than Mark! It seems Mark isn't too happy about the situation. It does seem a bit strange that they are both doing the same job but one is paid three time more than the other?? Would it not make sense to let Miriam go, and get Mark to do more work on Prime Time? It could save RTE €300,000 a year, this is nearly equivalent to the license fee from 1800 households!! RTE don't need to increase the license fee, they just need to get rid of some overpaid deadwood!!
You're talking my language!

Despite populist sentiment, IMO MOC is probably the most unprofessional current affairs presenter on RTE - and boy is there competition! A total self-regarding phony. I'm afraid I have to switch channels every time she jibs into Proime Toime.

As someone else (almost) said on this thread, she's basically a Calabraty Prasantar. What does she actually know as an adult if she feels she has to talk like a teenager?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies