• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why is RTE afraid of Denis O'Brien?

borntorum

Justine McCarthy has a timely article in the Sunday Times today (pay wall) drawing attention to RTE's resolute silence regarding all matters Denis O'Brien-related. Principally, she queries why the broadcaster has completely ignored the recent Lowry tapes, leaving it to the private TV3 to broadcast them. She also mentions Prime Time's failure to mention his victory in his recent libel trial, and his dismissal of the relevance of the Press Council. Further, she notes that RTE has been broadcasting documentaries, such as Lifers, which have been funded by O'Brien (I was unaware of this prior to reading her article).

It's an increasingly worrying media situation in this country. The two private national radio stations are controlled by DOB. He is increasing his grip over the largest newspaper group and is imposing a 'charter' over its journalists. We know about his close links to FG, and the Labour party doesnt seem interested in challenging his diminance. Don't expect FF to take a significantly different approach either if they return to power.

We need our national broadcaster, which is publicly funded so as to act in the public interest and not be beholden to, or scared of, powerful figures. Why are they running scared of DOB? What is the point of RTE if it won't act in the public interest? Why is the private TV3 willing to address a major issue such as the Lowry tapes, while the national broadcaster won't even mention it?

ger12

Who ensures that funding continues for the State broadcaster?

borntorum

Who ensures that funding continues for the State broadcaster?
The government.

If the answer was that straightforward, they would prohibit negative discussion of FG and Lab

ne0ica

or Tony O'Reilly or is that Sir Anthony to the likes of you and I.

mido

J.

We know about his close links to FG, and the Labour party doesnt seem interested in challenging his diminance. Don't expect FF to take a significantly different approach either if they return to power.
indeed why would FF challenge his "diminance" when their former leader was a columnist for Rupert Murdoch who owns the Times/Sun/Sky and backed them as did O'Reillys "independent" when he wanted the MMDS licences he bought from Ray Burke enforced over community television systems. kettles and pots methinks

Prester Jim

1. Because he would sue a cat that looked at him.

2. Because they are journalists and he owns the only other outlet for them if RTE lets them go.

mido

or Tony O'Reilly or is that Sir Anthony to the likes of you and I.
I hoped you typed the "sir" bit while genuflecting

ger12

The government.

If the answer was that straightforward, they would prohibit negative discussion of FG and Lab
It's not about protecting the FG or Labour Party.

Look at the cabinet today. Look at the cabinet in the last FG/Lab coalition.

Analyzer

Pravda/RTE is there to serve vested interests, in the same way as the political system is expected to serve vested interests.

We have a publicly funded broadcaster that serves vested interests. And we have private sector media organs that do the same.

Also, thanks to Irish Defamation Law, DOB can send anybody a legal letter telling them that he will fight to protect his "right to good name and character". (even if in the real world, somebody's reputation has to be earned, and is not an entitlement).

eoghanacht

OBrien >>>>>>> FG >>>>>> State Broadcaster

Analyzer

Last edited:

Ribeye

I would like to comment on this thread,

But I can't risk getting banned with the Cyprus thing about to go bang,

So I won't,

james toney

The playing of the Lowry tape on the Vincent Browne show was brave,and showed good investigative journalism,the panel were under threat from O'Brien,as VB said before the show,yet decided to stand by the tape.
It really showed the public how spineless RTE really are,and not for the first time.

Analyzer

hiding behind a poster

Newstalk is openly FG. HBAP, even you would have to admit that it is obvious.
That wasn't what I asked. I asked what are O'Brien's "close links to FG".

Disillusioned democrat

The government.

To be fair, Pravda/RTE pretty much fawns over everything FG/Lab do...objective state journalism a joke in this country.

I had to listen to 98FM's Joan Lee to hear the opinion that the Cypriot gig of "taxing" savings is the same as the property tax.

Analyzer

Justine McCarthy has a timely article in the Sunday Times today (pay wall) drawing attention to RTE's resolute silence regarding all matters Denis O'Brien-related. Principally, she queries why the broadcaster has completely ignored the recent Lowry tapes, leaving it to the private TV3 to broadcast them. She also mentions Prime Time's failure to mention his victory in his recent libel trial, and his dismissal of the relevance of the Press Council. Further, she notes that RTE has been broadcasting documentaries, such as Lifers, which have been funded by O'Brien (I was unaware of this prior to reading her article).

It's an increasingly worrying media situation in this country. The two private national radio stations are controlled by DOB. He is increasing his grip over the largest newspaper group and is imposing a 'charter' over its journalists. We know about his close links to FG, and the Labour party doesnt seem interested in challenging his diminance. Don't expect FF to take a significantly different approach either if they return to power.

We need our national broadcaster, which is publicly funded so as to act in the public interest and not be beholden to, or scared of, powerful figures. Why are they running scared of DOB? What is the point of RTE if it won't act in the public interest? Why is the private TV3 willing to address a major issue such as the Lowry tapes, while the national broadcaster won't even mention it?
We had a thread earlier this week, about Irish newspapers refusing to include any details of Seanie Fitz showing up at an event being led by DOB, last Sunday, in London.

THESH!TERIMES are equally useless, when it comes to Mlateser. In fact they even let him write for them. Do they pay him, or does he pay them ?

And he is increasing influence in the Indo, with directors being appointed to follow his instructions.

hiding behind a poster

To be fair, Pravda/RTE pretty much fawns over everything FG/Lab do...objective state journalism a joke in this country.

I had to listen to 98FM's Joan Lee to hear the opinion that the Cypriot gig of "taxing" savings is the same as the property tax.
Are you for real? Have a listen to Joe Duffy and Marian Finucance, if you really think RTE are pro-FG/LAB.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies