Why is the grotesque 'Mrs Browns Boys' so popular?

darkhorse

It demeans women especially older women
It mocks all human sexuality - especially gays
It jeers the most sensitive parts of decent humanity
Its the lowest of British lavatory homour that ever was
But so many people seem to love it
Is it part of a self hatred spiral of human nature?

Last edited:

GDPR

I have always wondered why men dressing up as women was such a mainstay of theatre, particularly comedy.

Even the Two Ronnies did that. I remember the big Ronnie dressed up in a pastel twin set - something women had stopped wearing years before - and big hair rollers.

It's just not funny

With regard to "Mr" Brown's Boys, I have only seen trailers and was not impressed with the show even after that brief time. On the other hand the Two Ronnies were usually very funny, except for the dressed up as a woman bits.

Black Swan

Never managed to get through a single episode of it.

Bea C

In recent years my brother in Dublin gave Dad a Christmas present of tickets to MRs Brown in the 3.
I was dumbstruck, I asked had he ever actually met Dad?
His mother in law ended up going with a pal, anyway.

rainmaker

Administrator
I just find it grossly unfunny and lacking any depth whatsoever.

tigerben

I think it’s xmas viewing that you don’t have to actually think while watching . A bit like the Royle family Xmas specials that had high viewing figures for really silly tv. Remember most are in a food coma , with copious wine and beers ! I’m alway surprise that Mrs Brown doesn’t get stick for elder abuse ! I watched it , I thought if Rory had died in the programme and the grief of losing a loved one at Xmas was tastefully done then it would have been much better show. It’s a money making machine for the O Carroll’s .

darkhorse

I think it’s xmas viewing that you don’t have to actually think while watching . A bit like the Royle family Xmas specials that had high viewing figures for really silly tv. Remember most are in a food coma , with copious wine and beers ! I’m alway surprise that Mrs Brown doesn’t get stick for elder abuse ! I watched it , I thought if Rory had died in the programme and the grief of losing a loved one at Xmas was tastefully done then it would have been much better show. It’s a money making machine for the O Carroll’s .

No the Royle family was brilliant
No comparison to the hideous Mrs Browns Boys series

storybud1

Fulfills the UK's typical stereotype of Irish people like Father Ted, thick, backward, poor + working class eejits out to have a laugh and could not give two fooks about the class system they endure.

O Carrolls labour roots social engineering is always at play, super queen gay people , silly priests, sperm donors (now practically non existent BTW ) the usual sh1te foisted upon us,

Right up the BBC fascist agenda, that's what O Carroll figured out early on, the jokes are just not witty but it ticks all the boxes in the new world.

darkhorse

Fulfills the UK's typical stereotype of Irish people like Father Ted, thick, backward, poor + working class eejits out to have a laugh and could not give two fooks about the class system they endure.

O Carrolls labour roots social engineering is always at play, super queen gay people , silly priests, sperm donors (now practically non existent BTW ) the usual sh1te foisted upon us,

Right up the BBC fascist agenda, that's what O Carroll figured out early on, the jokes are just not witty but it ticks all the boxes in the new world.
That's part of it but not the complete picture
You might remember the gross distortion of human sexuality popular in the Benny Hill series of way back
Mrs Browns Boys seem to be carrying on that tradition too

sgtharper

Its the lowest of British lavatory homour that ever was
"British lavatory humour"?

O'Carroll was doing this shyte long before he appeared on the BBC, and making a pile out of it into the bargain.

darkhorse

"British lavatory humour"?

O'Carroll was doing this shyte long before he appeared on the BBC, and making a pile out of it into the bargain.
Wouldn;t deny that
But British lavatory homour existed long before Brendan o'Carroll did did first TV shows

D

Deleted member 45466

That's part of it but not the complete picture
You might remember the gross distortion of human sexuality popular in the Benny Hill series of way back
Mrs Browns Boys seem to be carrying on that tradition too
Smut is hardly a gross distortion of human sexuality.

New Threads