Why is the justice system so lenient.

Disillusioned democrat

We really do need to make incapacitation one of the principal objectives of sentencing. The report says that this vicious thug has 'a number' of previous convictions.

Had he been subject to increasingly long sentences earlier in his criminal career he might have been locked up on the day in question and his innocent victim would have had just another day on the job.
For each conviction read - tax payer funded assignment for scion of a legal dynasty.

Disillusioned democrat

Inadequate sentencing isn't about some vast conspiracy to enrich lawyers, it's to do with nice middle class people falling over themselves to be 'fair'.
Can you prove that - I would have thought so too, even said it above a few pages ago - loads of middle-class guilt driving the sentences, but then there's cause and effect - we have a HUGE legal sector in Ireland - and besides the tribunals and multiple deportation appeals representing scabies with 10s of convictions is another source of income. I'd be fascinated to see the actual figures are - then divide by 4 or 5 to see the impact on the legal profession.

RasherHash

One to watch...

Five men and six women have appeared at the district court facing more than 200 charges as part of a two-year garda investigation into child sexual abuse and sexual exploitation in the south of the country.

The 11 accused people range in age from their 30s to their 70s.

All are facing charges of sexual assault and sexual exploitation.

Prohibitive reporting restrictions were also ordered by the judge, including identifying any location or townland connected with the case, or the location of the court hearing in order to protect the identity of the victims.

realistic1

Is this a parody publication? Crim who swung a sword during a street brawl receives a suspended sentence. Thats some deterrent for other recidivist crims. Just out of curiosity does anyone P.ie posters wish to agree with this sentence?

realistic1

Some decent judges out there, but we need consistency. Recidivist crim with 100 previous convictions gets 4 years for threatening to stab shop worker.

Seán E. Ryan

Is this a parody publication? Crim who swung a sword during a street brawl receives a suspended sentence. Thats some deterrent for other recidivist crims. Just out of curiosity does anyone P.ie posters wish to agree with this sentence?

I agree with it, to a point. The guy who was sentenced was at his home address when the sword incident occurred. The other person involved was armed and had called to his house to confront him.

Personally, I don't have a sword. But if anyone called to my house to confront me with weapons, I'd wipe them off the face of the earth.

This sounds like a very clear cut (pun intended) example of self defence and I'm surprised that there was a conviction at all.

realistic1

I agree with it, to a point. The guy who was sentenced was at his home address when the sword incident occurred. The other person involved was armed and had called to his house to confront him.

Personally, I don't have a sword. But if anyone called to my house to confront me with weapons, I'd wipe them off the face of the earth.

This sounds like a very clear cut (pun intended) example of self defence and I'm surprised that there was a conviction at all.
You know what, you are spot on. I just glanced through the article, looks like Judge got it right on this one.

Sweet Darling

Inadequate sentencing isn't about some vast conspiracy to enrich lawyers, it's to do with nice middle class people falling over themselves to be 'fair'.
True. the middle classes see all people from low income areas as potential criminals. Arrogantly bestow their mercy on the poor mites.
We need more judges appointed from poor areas to get in place good hard jail terns for the scum who make life stressful for the normal decent people.

Last edited:

Lagertha

This story truly horrifies me. Not only did this guy not show up for sentencing but he had not one but TWO suspended sentences for raping two girls in the past. What kind of country are we living in when a man can get suspended sentences for raping children?

Lagertha

Another nonsensical judgement. This guy got 2 years knocked off one sentence and the second offence which he got 8 years for is being served concurrently, so basically buy one get one free with sexual assault in this country AGAIN.

Baron von Biffo

Seems it's ok to be a violent drunk if you're a woman.

Lagertha

Seems it's ok to be a violent drunk if you're a woman.

I really don't like this nonsense of paying a fine and escaping jail for violent crime, I especially don't like it when women are able to escape a custodial sentence because they have kids. They know that no many how offences they commit they are likely to get suspended sentences every time because a judge is reluctant to jail them, what message does that send?

Lagertha

Our old friend Judge Nolan is at it again. This time a 20 year old guy with 33 previous convictions was finally give consecutive sentences for robbing a Spanish man at knife point, not his first knife crime, and Judge Nolan knocks 15 months off the 2 year consecutive sentence. It's no wonder we have such serious rates of re offending. Fook mitigating circumstances, we need consecutive sentencing and we need the full sentences to be served.

We also need to bring in harsher sentences for people with more than 3 convictions, as it stands there's a buy one get one free sentencing system in Ireland and we've people committing multiple offences while out on bail awaiting sentencing because they know that not only are they not going to have to serve a sentence for it but they'll only serve a fraction of the sentence they're waiting to be sentenced for previous crimes.

bells of shando

Judges in Ireland, all the way up to the Supreme Court are appointed by political decision. Thus they are dependent on political favour.
There is an incestuous relationship in Ireland between Political Parties, the Justice system and legal profession, the Garda and big business.
Thus we have had multiple enquiries without accountability, or mild rebukes, Strange sentencing for patently corrupt bankers.
The irish citizens are aware of this ,but are afraid to speak out, because they are then subject to harassment by the attack dogs of the system, the Garda,
Irelands Media is deplorable and has failed to hold power to account.
Only the fearless Gemma O'Doherty has the courage to speak out and the 'useful idiots' disgrace themselves by vilifying her.

Round tower

It's not in the Rupublic it;s in NI, very sad case and 14 months in jail is nothing and only baned for 5 years, it should have being 5 + years jail and at least 10 years of a driving ban.
They have done an ad. in the Republic about the young boy killed in an acident involving a drunk driver, they should use this case of the consequences of Speed and the affects of it has on her.

Sweet Darling

Ah sure with only 647 previous convictions didn't she deserve another chance?
Arrogant middleclass type bestowing his mercy upon a member of the great unwashed poor.
We need judges appointed from the working classes who would have no problem putting away that type above for a long time

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies