• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why isn't David Murphy RTE's Economic Correspondent?

Cassandra Syndrome

RTE News' business correspondent David Murphy has made great progress as a presenter of economic related news items. I would imagine he is on strict constraints on what he can say, however he has an indepth relatively bearish but realistic analysis technique in his presentations. He certainly appears to know what he is talking about and of late has seldom defended government policy. He also avoids pollyanna interpretations of the economic indicators and data, unlike most of his contemporaries.

The question is, why is Sean Whelan still economics correspondent?

cricket

Heard FG want him to be the candidate to replace George Lee !

Cassandra Syndrome

Why don't you apply for the job?
Could you imagine? What would bond yield be this evening? 56%? :eek:

At least I suppose I could bump into Jean Byrne in the RTE canteen for a coffee.

MsAnneThrope

He'd get my vote anyway, after his fabulous book 'Banksters', co-written with Martina Devlin. He speaks as he writes - no BS, straight to the point, clear and concise and comes across as 100% sincere.

I sometimes wonder did he upset the apple cart with that book though?

spidermom

Agree with the OP.
Seems you have to "serve" your time in RTE....David hasn't served enough....this in spite of being, quite obviously, the best for the job!

Tomas Mor

I think he is great, in comparison to Whelan, who was put in it seems to me, as a sort of non controversial safe pair of hands.

H.R. Haldeman

Hmmm, it was my understand that Murphy is Editor and Whelan Correspondent, making Murphy the senior. Open to correction on that though.

Tomas Mor

Just saw Murphy on RTE TV news at One, on latest results from CSO. Why was Whelan appointed or what is he doing ? I find it intriguing.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Murphy is Business Editor.

RTE decided not to have an Economics editor when GLee left RTE and they demoted the economic role.

Given the standard of Murphy's work (exceptional) - i would worry about his job title.

cashinhand

Murphy does his homework, and does his level best to get the key points across in the (usually) short time available.

Once piece of advice for him though: when he's speaking, he could work on the skill to "paint pictures with words" to get the concepts across, not easy - granted - when talking about bond spreads, double dip recessions and the like.

d7bohs

The answer to the question is that he's too short.

It's like the Guards in the old days - you have to be over 5' 6" to be Economic Correspondent. And have at least a C in leaving cert Irish

hmmm

I've found the entire RTE coverage of recent weeks a bit superficial. I'm not sure whether that is in an attempt to dumb down the explanations for the average viewer or a lack of understanding from the correspondents. The implications of a Greek style situation have not been explained and may come as a shock to people - there were letters in the paper today suggesting that it would be a painless solution to borrow from the EU fund.

bored and fussy

I've found the entire RTE coverage of recent weeks a bit superficial. I'm not sure whether that is in an attempt to dumb down the explanations for the average viewer or a lack of understanding from the correspondents. The implications of a Greek style situation have not been explained and may come as a shock to people - there were letters in the paper today suggesting that it would be a painless solution to borrow from the EU fund.
I dont think it would be painless in fact i think it would be very sore indeed,
dont believe all you read in the letter pages