• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why isn't Ruairi Quinn Labour's Finance Spokesperson?

davehiggz

I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held cabinet ministerial office before when we really need someone who has experience above all else. Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.

Surely Ruairi Quinn would be a much better finance spokesperson. He's run the department of finance before and most importantly he did a decent job! If Labour wants to lead the next government they can't be letting amateurs into serious government departments. Fine Gael has brought back Michael Noonan because we need cool heads and experienced politicians to see us through the crisis.

Should Labour do the same and bring back Quinn?

Last edited:

firefly123

Has anyone asked Ruairi?

turdsl

Well, he certainly was a good Minister of Finance, A pity he was so great with Bertie that he was able to givehim Thursday mornings off, which will no doubt continue in the next Dail ,I wonder why he does not like Enda as much when he undermined him on the pairing issue.

Last edited:
I think Ruairi has had to take time to come back after being leader. but i agree he would be much better, and has great credibility. i think joan is excellent on tax issues, but quite narrow after that, and very good at defining what she is 'against', but not so much 'for'. however, i think again it is a pity to see a poster here talk about her 'voice' etc. she is a credible politician, and she was a junior minister before. not fair to use 'she/he hasn't ministerial experience' re fg or lab politicians, as it is so long since they have had power, you can't blame them for that! I think Joan would be an excellent Health or Social Protection Minister. She is genuinely committed to equality and fairness, but isn't afraid to take on vested interests (in the health service), or sacred cows (which need to be met head on with regard to Social Welfare)...

Red_93

I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held ministerial office before
Yes she has. SHe held one of the most important junior ministries when she was minister of state at the department of foreign affairs from 1994 to 97 at a time when the peace process was ongoing, having previously been minister of state at the department of social welfare.
and it seems that many people would rather listen to nails on a blackboard than her voice.
You know, I'm not sure what criteria FG use in appointing their front bench, but certainly in the LP, someone's voice doesn't really matter.
Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor
That's your (extremely biased) opinion. The last time I saw her on TV (on TWIP a few weeks back) her performance was stellar.
and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.
Again, you opnion, and Vlad's comments don't bare out in reality. For example, he said he heard Ruairi Quinn say that he was in favour of water charges, aand spun it as if Gilmore had not given his stance on the matter, whereas maybe a week earlier Gilmore came out in favour of water charges. Here's a good response
Surely Ruairi Quinn would be a much better finance spokesperson. He's run the department of finance before and most importantly he did a decent job! If Labour wants to lead the next government they can't be letting amateurs into serious government departments.
How exactly is Burton an amateur? She's a senior lecturer in accounting, chartered accountant, and former minister. She's performed well in her role so far.
Fine Gael has brought back Michael Noonan because we need cool heads and experienced politicians to see us through the crisis.

If Burton challenged Gilmore for the leadership, I have no doubt that Quinn would be considered for Finance, but she won't. Burton is a good performer by and large, knows her subject, and is appropriately qualified.

culmore

Enda will hardly give Rhuarai Minister for finance now after the pairing thing

Rocket Man

Looking at how well Lab are doing in the polls I can't see why they would change their finance spokesperson.
However they could do with beefing up their economics team. Currently Joan is doing all the legwork.
Penrose must be moved out of enterprise and replaced with Quinn or Rabbitte.
I would also move Liz McManus out of Communications. She is an excellent TD but is retiring and so should probably be moved. It could make sense to replace her with Sean Sherlock who is underused in agriculture.

cricket

If the sound of someone's voice is criteria for holding ministerial office , we're back to the " Up Mayo " school of politics. What a flute !

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
By your own logic I assume you'll likely to start a thread imminently asking how Enda Kenny could possibly end up as Taoiseach given his relatively more junior cabinet role in the same government as Ruairi Quinn's more senior role.

Would Kenny yield to Quinn thus in this situation?

EvotingMachine0197

If the sound of someone's voice is criteria for holding ministerial office , we're back to the " Up Mayo " school of politics. What a flute !
Exactly. Besides, Noonan's voice is far more irritating than Joan's. So enough with the voice analogies ..

darkhorse

Their best Labour finance spokesperson is the one who manages to bluff it and say nothing.
Thats the game they are at these days - in the hope that noone will notice that they dont have any economic policies - until after the next election.
With ruari's experience he might find this a little harder that someone with the brass neck of Joan Burton

ne0ica

I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held ministerial office before and it seems that many people would rather listen to nails on a blackboard than her voice. Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.

Surely Ruairi Quinn would be a much better finance spokesperson. He's run the department of finance before and most importantly he did a decent job! If Labour wants to lead the next government they can't be letting amateurs into serious government departments. Fine Gael has brought back Michael Noonan because we need cool heads and experienced politicians to see us through the crisis.

Actually I would agree with you 100%. There is floating voters out there, some disaffected FF voters who don't like FG but are not sure about Labour. Gilmore populist rhetoric and Joan Burton's poor performances are a turn off. Gilmore may be a popular party but he cannot make the sale. Quinn would provide credibility. But look Labour are stupid. There's a reason they have been the third party since the states foundation.

turdsl

Burton has a much better grasp of economics than Lenihan, which can be seen every day. Somebody wrote yesterday that he would have made a good Foreign affairs minister, Pity, that will not happen now.

Baron von Biffo

I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held ministerial office before and it seems that many people would rather listen to nails on a blackboard than her voice. Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.

Noonan was brought back because Bruton staged a heave, O'Donnell stabbed Kenny in the back and no one other than Varadkar takes Varadkar seriously.

Lab having Quinn in the job would lead to a discontinuity when he takes the Dublin Mayors job.

Baron von Biffo

By your own logic I assume you'll likely to start a thread imminently asking how Enda Kenny could possibly end up as Taoiseach given his relatively more junior cabinet role in the same government as Ruairi Quinn's more senior role.

Would Kenny yield to Quinn thus in this situation?
How dare you try to diminish the importance of the Minister for Leprechauns.

RahenyFG

Joan Burton has some experience, Junior minister in the Rainbow Coalition in the mid 90s.

I don't understand why Quinn isn't the Labour spokesperson for Finance. He was one of the best finance ministers we had. Gave us a budget with the first budget surplus in 30 years! He's better off to a country as a Finance minister in the next government rather than an Education minister. I think Education is his portfolio on the Labour frontbench.

Hewson

I can't figure out why Quinn isn't in Finance either. He has a good track record and, let's face it, after ten minutes of listening to him speak you won't be rushing to the medicine cabinet for aspirin.

Whereas Joan, oooh my poor head . . .