Why isn't The Opposition FG/Lab Leading a March Against Bailout Terms

neutral_lurker

Its been roundly acknowledged the bailout is a bad deal for Ireland particularly in interest terms.

Chopra etc are going easy to begin with -but give it a year or two.

Genuine question - why aren't FG Lab organising a march against the terms, do they think it is acceptable?

ruamruam

Its been roundly acknowledged the bailout is a bad deal for Ireland particularly in interest terms.

Genuine question - why aren't FG Lab organising a march against the terms, do they think it is acceptable?
The will huff and puff but go along with it

kells2dublin

1. They are unable to organise anything.
2. They have no alternative to offer.
3. They are afraid of bringing the country down.

Aindriu

Correct. They will whinge and moan but then quietly acquiesce "in the best interests of the state".

Cowards, the lot of them! Sinn Féin are the only party with balls in the Daíl at the moment.

neutral_lurker

Ok lets look at it cos I was MAYBE going to give them a vote

1.If they can't organise a march how can they organise the affairs of a country?
2.Even if it was just to call for better interest terms - hardly radical
3.How will a march for better terms bring the country down -they need to get talking to Iceland

SilverLining

The "Opposition" if forming the next government (if there is one) will tell us that there is absolutely nothing that they can do differently, that their hands are tied by the IMF/ECB/EUC Ecomomic-War-Reparations-Deal.

Insole

I wouldn't be adverese to voting FG, but Sinn Fein scum despite their support for bank nationalisation are looking like they would get a vote from me finally.

I see a complete lack of leadership from FG at the moment.

They should be organising the demonstrations and calling for democracy. Easy to say FF don't have a mandate but what are FG doing about it?

Where are the FG protests?

Holy Cow

The reason they are not doing anything is because they agree with the terms.

FG = Diet FF.

He3

1. The evidence to date supports this.

2. The evidence to date supports this so far as the ransom deal goes.

3. This may come about because of points 1. and 2.

They are running out of time to show they are not part of the problem. FF have played them like fish on a line lately.

collina

A march to where?

Dail Eireann? No, that would only serve to highlight how ineffectual they were in opposition and the powerless regional assembly that the Dail has become

Anglo Irish? Its gone soon

IMF? No HQ in Dublin

EU? Not a chance, this is Enda Kenny we're talking about. He will not be let out by Varadkar&Co

Drumcondra/Clara? No point the boys are ready to bolt

There is nowhere to march; its the end of the road.

cul de sac

FG and Lab couldn't organise a march because all the anger is directed at the establishment and they are part of it. They are on the cusp of power and will have to reform things from within, that includes the "bailout" where possible, electoral reform, civil service reform as well as reviving the economy. Not the kind if thing you'd achieve with a march.

Mondo

It is very sad really.

FG have a genuine chance to effect real reform here.

But the silence is deafening.

I very much worry that Enda will fall at the first election hurdle if he ineterviews along the lines I fear he might:

Question: "Enda, as Taoiseach will you lead the way in reform by setting example in cutting ministerial pay and the Taiseach's pay to less than that of the US president?"

Answer: "Ministers have already taken a pay cut, blah, blah, ...establish independent panel to look into salary levels blah blah"

Gone. Dead in the water. FG thrown onto the bonfire along with FF.

FG / LABOUR listen up. Things will not be as they were. You will not snuggle down into the back of the Merc with the seats still warm from the FF arses.

You've been waiting a long time to get the the top of the queue - and just as you do the rules change and you don't get all the gravy you wanted. Tough.

You've a stark choice - deliver real reform - a contract for the people right now or join FF in oblivion.
Your window of opportunity is closing - don't screw up.

Last edited:

Right is right

It is very sad really.

I very much fear that Enda will fall at the first election hurdle if he ineterviews along the lines I fear he might:

Question: "Enda, as Taoiseach will you lead the way in reform by setting example in cutting ministerial pay and the Taiseach's pay to less than that of the US president?"

Answer: "Ministers have already taken a pay cut, blah, blah, ...establish independent panel to look into salary levels blah blah"

FG / LABOUR listen up. Things will not be as they were. You will not snuggle down into the back of the Merc with the seats still warm from the FF arses.

You've been waiting a long time to get the the top of the queue - and just as you do the rules change and you don't get all the gravy you wanted. Tough.

You've a stark choice - deliver real reform - a contract for the people right now or join FF in oblivion.
This the same Enda Kenny who took a pay cut himself a couple of years ago...

macs magic

I wouldn't be adverese to voting FG, but Sinn Fein scum despite their support for bank nationalisation are looking like they would get a vote from me finally.

I see a complete lack of leadership from FG at the moment.

They should be organising the demonstrations and calling for democracy. Easy to say FF don't have a mandate but what are FG doing about it?

Where are the FG protests?
make sure you ask your sinn fein candidate wo murdered robert mc carthy before you make your mind up on voting for them.they shouldnt be considered as an alternative to any of our partys

Mitsui2

I think, to be fair, that FF have already taken care of point 3.

That still leaves two more, though.

JMcGynty

make sure you ask your sinn fein candidate wo murdered robert mc carthy before you make your mind up on voting for them.they shouldnt be considered as an alternative to any of our partys
They allready know it was their buddies/ira thugs that murdered Robert McCarthy, the rest of Ireland also knows it and theres no point asking Sinn Fein canditaes they wont tell you the truth

Cooperate for freedom

Simply because Fine Gael reflect the values of the established middle classes and are good little boys. I know a couple of fine gael supporters very well and the common thing between the two of them (no relationship to each other) is their desire to be seen to be "respectable". If they were in a school playground, fine gael members and voters would be the well-dressed boy/girl slagging off the fat kid to his/her mates before going to Cello lessons.

That's why they don't organise a march because Fine Gael supporters would be afraid to be seen holding a placard of any kind and are not that secretly reasonably pleased with this deal.

Weak as water - Enda Kenny and his pals!!

Rocky

It is very sad really.

I very much worry that Enda will fall at the first election hurdle if he ineterviews along the lines I fear he might:

People have to get beyond the notion that reform is all about pay. It's not, not even close and Fine Gael are offering the biggest political reform by far since the establishment of the state.

Another point on politicans pay is yes it should be cut, but if this is argument is taken to it's inevitable conclusion, then we'll be back to the days when only the rich can go into politics, as people will always argue it should be cut by more.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies