Why isn’t there a date for the GE?

Disillusioned democrat

With the RedC poll putting FF firmly behind SF, FF will try everything to avoid holding the General Election we were promised by the Greens in January. As a matter of fact the whole discussion about the GE appears to have died down, with only vague references to Spring, and even them becoming more infrequent.
What the phuck is going on? The Greens tried to win populist support by supposedly “pulling the plug” on the Gov, but then get back to business as usual, doling out €ms we don’t have to Las to cope with the cold snap, and are almost pretending they never demanded a January election – ‘cos it’s not going to happen.
Meanwhile Cowen – now surely the most unpopular Taoiseach ever at 8% popularity, is still running the country as if he didn’t have a care in the world, continuing to dig us more firmly into a hole he knows he’ll have no hand, act or part in getting us out of, and FF are happy to leave him there because no one else wants the job. I would imagine Cowen’s focus is now firmly on what’s best for his own future and NOT on what’s best for Ireland.
Why aren’t the opposition setting a deadline for the General Election and stating clearly that they’ll play no part in the sham we call democracy until we have a clear plan for an accelerated budget and a date for the election?

civilserpant

Green legislation is being held up as a carrot, FF buying as much time as possible.Will be March...

jacko

because the greens dont have the balls

theirs has been the most pathetic attempted exit from a government

showbandmanager

Will be march 2012 before the election happens , this is the most cynical degenerate morally bankrupt government you will ever see in this country .

slx

Because our indirectly elected quasi-dictator, El Biffo, who seems to think he can ride roughshod over the very concept of a parliamentary democracy, is refusing to release his death grip on the country.

Munion

My guess is there'll be an announcement shortly after the Dec 7th budget.

ocoonassa

There's supposed to be some breed of colour revolution on Budget Day if enough people show up Login | Facebook

No way can these people be allowed to carry on, if the so called opposition is going to let the misgovernance continue then perhaps the best option is for the people to show up on 7th December and oust the culprits.

Mushroom

because the greens dont have the balls

theirs has been the most pathetic attempted exit from a government
+ 1000

A lame, inept and shabby attempt to rescue a morsel of self-respect, by probably the most hypocritical and contemptible bunch of pond lives ever to renege on their duties to their voters. Happily, the doors to the Green Party stable opened three years ago and the escaped horses will never be recaptured.

Daisy Gogarty will probably be an OAP before the Greens get a sniff of power again. Mind you, bearing in mind that Gormless has told us that Planet Earth will be destroyed by 2020, one must wonder why the likes of he, Gogarty and Ryan even bothered to breed.

DCon

Green legislation is being held up as a carrot, FF buying as much time as possible.Will be March...
this would appear to be the case, and was probably always FF's plan

The Green Party will have to ease off on its general election deadline of the beginning of next year if it wants some of its top priorities passed by Government.

The junior coalition partner's plan of calling an early election appears to have backfired as the party still has a number of major pieces of legislation to pass, with little time to do it.

The Greens are publicly insisting a number of their key aims in power -- such as a new Dublin mayor, a climate change bill and banning corporate donations -- will still be passed before the election next year.

They initially said they wanted a general election by the end of January, and later shifted their position to February. But they are currently doing a "stock take" to see if their plans can be passed before the election.

Fianna Fail sources said the deadline may have to be pushed even further back if the Greens want their projects passed -- and the longer run-in would suit the larger party.
"It's a balancing act," one Green source said. "We said what we said but we didn't mean to be taken too literally. But that doesn't mean we'll let Brigid's Day become Patrick's Day and on and on."

But Fianna Fail sources say they wouldn't be surprised if the Greens stay on longer to achieve their policy aims.

"Sure who really cares if it is February or March? The longer it goes, the more it suits us, although April might be pushing it a bit," one source said.

"If they want the legislation, we'll have to sit longer. I don't know why they tied themselves to a January or February date. If they stick to that, they may get some but not all of it through."
Push for an early election backfires on Greens - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

hurricane

Sooner the better...I just wonder will FF call it for a Saturday so everyone can vote, and if it is called for a midweek day then the USI should lobby to have universities closed for the day...every citizen needs to have a say, or we will just continue on with the same old "politics as usual"

sport02

Because the Greens don't konw whether they are coming or going, the asylum is making decision making a very difficult task.
They spontaneously announced for a general election at the end of Jan, but by the time Gormless Asylum Gormely appeared on six one, he had said ultimately it was the Taoiseach's decision on the date.
Then you had an article I think in the Sindo claiming at the end of Jan, but a couple of days ago, Eammon Ryan told Ivan Yates on Newstalk, he sees it at the end of Feb.

Suppose it is a case, of how long they want to stay in the asylum, but isn't usually the case the mentally deranged stay in asylums, aganist their will, our cabbages in this country are a funny bunch indeed.

OceanFrog

Dan Boyle tweeted this about 5 hrs ago ...

"@richardtol Love your independent analysis Richard. Election will happen once the Finance Bill is passed. Late January/February. No later."

Problem is Danny Boy has cried wolf too often in the past to be believed now.

OceanFrog

BTW, is there any truth in the claim that Cowen needs to push GE until April so he can get full Taoiseach's Pension? It has been claimed elsewhere on p.ie that Cowen took office in May 2008... If he holds office until April 2011 (i.e. a three year term) he will be entitled to a full Taoiseach’s pension of around €100,000 and a TD pension of around €53,000 per year.

Does Cowen's pension suffer if he is Taoiseach for less than 3 full years? If so this is an interesting development, and makes the Greens decision to pull out by "Late January/February. No later" (Dan Boyle tweeted this earlier today ... see my post directly above) very very interesting indeed.

EUrJokingMeRight

My guess is there'll be an announcement shortly after the Dec 7th budget.
My guess is that there had better be or we will have our very own Bastille style
public holiday in future generations.
My own placard for peaceful protest

Elections Now
'Fail' out
not
Bailout

Feel free to pass it on..

Maureen Murphy 1234

date for election/

Give the lads and lassies a chance in FF and Greens and Jackie Heeely Ray and Mike lowery. They all want to be reelected so they have to choose whats best for them. what else would you expect?

Baron von Biffo

Sooner the better...I just wonder will FF call it for a Saturday so everyone can vote, and if it is called for a midweek day then the USI should lobby to have universities closed for the day...every citizen needs to have a say, or we will just continue on with the same old "politics as usual"
If students are serious about voting they can register for a postal ballot.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies