• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why isn't there a national register of cars reported stolen ?

cricket

There's been a car parked outside house of friend of mine for over a week now. Has never been moved in all of that time. Friend raised interesting point, supposing the guards had a place on their website where all cars reported to have been stolen would be listed. Would save the bother of ringing the guards to report the possibility of car theft.

drummed

Good idea. Maybe you could setup a private company keeping such a register?

drummed

What, and charge people to look it up ?
No. Not for profit. Just a register people who's car are missing could check. For the good of your community, etc, etc.

Tea Shark

cricket

Why dont the garda just do their job.
Policing is best done when there is co-operation with the public. Here's a perfect opportunity for such an intitiative. So many major crimes start with a car being stolen a few days/weeks beforehand.

Tea Shark

Policing is best done when there is co-operation with the public. Here's a perfect opportunity for such an intitiative. So many major crimes start with a car being stolen a few days/weeks beforehand.
And if it is reported stolen it is on the national police database so there is no need to start one just that they do their job and distribute it properly.

mr_anderson

Design an app to allow mobile phones read licence plates.
People could then 'snap' numbers and run them through a stolen car database.

drummed

And if it is reported stolen it is on the national police database so there is no need to start one just that they do their job and distribute it properly.

To every citizen? How do you suggest they do that? Do you suppose the gardai can solve all crimes without any public assistance?
A single webpage with all the details of missing cars could be very useful. Maybe the gardai would welcome the help from us all?
Its you community too is'nt it?

cricket

Wouldn't it be much handier if the details were available to the public for checking ? ATM the guards have details of missing persons going back to that girl Boyle in Donegal all those years ago on their site. A simple list of cars reported stolen shouldn't be beyond them.
I lived in a council estate in Cork during the 70's and 80's , long before mobile phones, internet. We didn't even have a landline. The place was plagued by car thefts, many of the vehicles being abandoned near where I lived. Regularly ( about once every two months ) I would come across an obviously stolen car while on my way to work early in the morning. I would note the details and drop into a city centre garda station to report it, hoping no one would have interfered with it in the meantime. How much simpler and faster a website entry would now make that proceedure.

Radix

Good idea. Maybe you could setup a private company keeping such a register?
Perhaps the car is owned by a private company.

Cricket may be keeping bad company...!

fuque

There's been a car parked outside house of friend of mine for over a week now. Has never been moved in all of that time. Friend raised interesting point, supposing the guards had a place on their website where all cars reported to have been stolen would be listed. Would save the bother of ringing the guards to report the possibility of car theft.
It would be all a waste of time. Had similar situation, rang gards, they ran the plate.......came back not stolen. Turns out about 2-3 months passed then gards arrive to tow it away, it was stolen.....but had a cloned plate from another car that wasnt stolen. That is...............it was a black VW jeep touareg, when they stole it, they took the reg from another black VW tourareg and put it on, so initially when gards ran it, it came back as not stolen.

cricket

It would be all a waste of time. Had similar situation, rang gards, they ran the plate.......came back not stolen. Turns out about 2-3 months passed then gards arrive to tow it away, it was stolen.....but had a cloned plate from another car that wasnt stolen. That is...............it was a black VW jeep touareg, when they stole it, they took the reg from another black VW tourareg and put it on, so initially when gards ran it, it came back as not stolen.
One negative experience shouldn't mean this idea is invalid. What strikes me about it is that it would be easy to set up and maintain.

Tweek

If you've got the time, give them the plate *and the VIN* (should be visible through a 'port' in the front windscreen, bottom passenger side usually) and also check that any discs have the same reg on it.

drummed

How would such a private company get funded?

Where would it get its information from?

If it was legit and above board it could get info from the Gardai as it would be providing a public service and helping them. Funding i have no answer for right now. I know plates are usually changed. But the car is still the same. In the above example a VW was missing and the owner would recognise the car from a few details regardless of what plates it had.

Roman Emperor

I think such a register would be a good idea. As regards your VW Touareg,I believe the VIN is displayed in the bottom corner of the windscreen. Seems a rather basic mistake not to check if the VI and reg numbers matched.

johnny365

I often see cars left in car parks, side of the road or estates, in a lot of cases foreign nationals dump vehicles. They usually arent stolen and usually have no tax or insurance, the local authority not the Gardai will remove the car if its in a public place.

drummed

I'd say the insurance industry would be interested in helping. Paying for missing cars costs them a fortune. People could report cars they suspect online and see if it matches anything which is stolen broken down by county. If someone reports a car that is stolen and is recovered give them 100Euro. My car was stolen once, never recovered and the insurers paid 32,500Euro for the episode. It must have been parked somewhere in the days after it went missing.

drummed

I often see cars left in car parks, side of the road or estates, in a lot of cases foreign nationals dump vehicles. They usually arent stolen and usually have no tax or insurance, the local authority not the Gardai will remove the car if its in a public place.
Get the foreigners into to this somewhere anyway:rolleyes:

Popular Threads

Most Replies