• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why isn't there a real debate on corporation tax?

riker1969

Our coropration tax is meant to be one of the lowest in the EU. All I ever see in our "press" is a one paragraph bended knee approach to this ie it has to be kept low. I dont have strong opinions on this but just wondering why is there no real debate??

We are in a severe crisis-surely all taxes should be on the table, because if we dont raise coropration tax-you and I pay more. Now, if there are good valid reasons fair enough but beyond one line arguments of creating employment is that enough? During the boom most new employment was probably in construction-am I right? Are we simply a corporate whore with cheap rates? The failure of the press to debate this properly is a severe indictment of its do it by the numbers page filling.

HarshBuzz

there's already a thread on this...

We can debate the issue all you like but no government is going to voluntarily change it. That's just the way it is.

Asparagus

Our coropration tax is meant to be one of the lowest in the EU. All I ever see in our "press" is a one paragraph bended knee approach to this ie it has to be kept low. I dont have strong opinions on this but just wondering why is there no real debate??

We are in a severe crisis-surely all taxes should be on the table, because if we dont raise coropration tax-you and I pay more. Now, if there are good valid reasons fair enough but beyond one line arguments of creating employment is that enough? During the boom most new employment was probably in construction-am I right? Are we simply a corporate whore with cheap rates? The failure of the press to debate this properly is a severe indictment of its do it by the numbers page filling.

Because the people that run the country have one tiny piece of sense left. If they touch the corporation tax rate - we won't even have bananas left to sell.

Microsoft, Intel, Google etc are here for the 12.5% corporate tax rate.
if we touch it they will pack up and leave. This will probably see the jobless rate double and the gnp halve.

We will be post coitus extrumus in perpetuity.

riker1969

Because the people that run the country have one tiny piece of sense left. If they touch the corporation tax rate - we won't even have bananas left to sell.

Microsoft, Intel, Google etc are here for the 12.5% corporate tax rate.
if we touch it they will pack up and leave. This will probably see the jobless rate double and the gnp halve.

We will be post coitus extrumus in perpetuity.
A tad alarmist? Where is the other thread? Its' a bit simplistic to say they are just here for the low taxes.

HarshBuzz

A tad alarmist? Where is the other thread? Its' a bit simplistic to say they are just here for the low taxes.
no obviously all the other factors we have to offer are crucial :rolleyes:

1. underdeveloped infrastructure
  2. high energy prices
  3. appalling government
  4. high wages
  5. the fact that we're an island off the coast of mainland Europe
etc....

of course they're here for the low CT! Jaysus

Baron von Biffo

Because if we increased it to 12.55% all the foreign companies would leave. Haven't you swallowed the pap our tax-exile owned media feed you?

Joopface

Don't we have high wage costs compared to our European buddies? And energy, rent etc. The costs of coming here for foreign multinationals is probably quite high in those terms.

One of the big things that's often pointed to is our educated, English speaking workforce. But, there are shortages of graduates in certain areas, and many roles in 'European HQ' style offices will require European languages, which we're not great at churning out either. Other countries can provide this (or European first language, English second, which is the same thing)

So, in terms of our competitiveness, the Corpo Tax is a big draw. That's not to say it can't be increased, but it would need a serious look at how far it can go up before it, combined with the other costs of coming here, start to dissuade investment. The type of analysis that companies looking to invest here would make, in fact.

There are lots of other ways to close the gap by cutting spending, and taxing more people, and the existing tax base more harshly. The Corpo Tax should be looked at, but it would be last thing anyone would want to touch, I'd imagine.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Because as a country we have very little else to offer. We have high wages, high costs, low natural resources and are geographically disadvantaged.

InReality

Basically it has the strength of an article of faith with our "elite".
Like the fact that the property sector will have a soft landing , and that Irish banks are solvent and the markets were irrationally not lending them any more money.

My view: Its has some merit although not due to companies leaving if it was raised a bit.
An increase to 15% would not cause a companies to leave if they did a rational cost/benefit analysis.

However the 12.5% rate is a handy a headline item which can market us as pro-capitalist and as its one of the lowest in the world at least I believe gives us some visibility when doing up an investment decision chart. But it should be debated.

farnaby

Corporation tax should be raised to continental European levels - when a far smaller chunk of the economy is made up by US multi-nationals and their dependents; we have thriving indigenous industry; we have low employment that is interfering with the growth of our indigenous industry.

I.e. a situation that might have been achieved by now by a government with vision and competence starting 10 years ago, but is now a minimum of 30 years away. Another case of FF copper-fastening our servility.

riker1969

Several threads here would suggest otherwise.
Where are these threads-I cant spot them??Second time I asked! Like being told I wouldn't start your journey from here when asking for directions! I really dont see why it cant be moderately increased by say.5% Wage costs are falling.

riker1969

Basically it has the strength of an article of faith with our "elite".
Like the fact that the property sector will have a soft landing , and that Irish banks are solvent and the markets were irrationally not lending them any more money.

My view: Its has some merit although not due to companies leaving if it was raised a bit.
An increase to 15% would not cause a companies to leave if they did a rational cost/benefit analysis.

However the 12.5% rate is a handy a headline item which can market us as pro-capitalist and as its one of the lowest in the world at least I believe gives us some visibility when doing up an investment decision chart. But it should be debated.
Well put. As stated I dont have strong opinion on it . Every item should be on the table for discussion.

Asparagus

Lets be honest

we have 3 things in our favour

1 We have a low rate of CT and encourage corporate input into our compliant local government policy development
2 We are predominantly white and english speaking - making us a more comfortable fit for american management
3 We have a moderatly well educated, young work force who will are not very militant.

If we lose 1 - the americans will leave as 2 and 3 are bonuses

riker1969

http://www.politics.ie/search.php?searchid=1609887

The 'search' facility really is rather ingenious.

Nearly as smart as dat Googley yoke...
Your link leads nowhere-a bit like your opinions! I did a search and there was not one thread specific to it on first page and was not going to trawl through pages and pages. Anyway given that basically the same anti-public sector thread reopens every day here under different names-then what's the harm in another corporate tax thread?

Panopticon

Corporation tax should be raised to continental European levels - when a far smaller chunk of the economy is made up by US multi-nationals and their dependents; we have thriving indigenous industry; we have low employment that is interfering with the growth of our indigenous industry.

I.e. a situation that might have been achieved by now by a government with vision and competence starting 10 years ago, but is now a minimum of 30 years away. Another case of FF copper-fastening our servility.
We have never, ever, ever had thriving indigenous industry in the territory of the State. The British kept the most industrial part of the island for themselves.

The public sector would like to see corporation tax increase, because it means less private sector employment, and higher status and power for themselves.

riker1969

We have never, ever, ever had thriving indigenous industry in the territory of the State. The British kept the most industrial part of the island for themselves.

The public sector would like to see corporation tax increase, because it means less private sector employment, and higher status and power for themselves.
I think this site should be named Idiots.ie-you need a private sector to pay for public sector so your comments are just plain silly.

asknoquestions

Lets be honest

we have 3 things in our favour

1 We have a low rate of CT and encourage corporate input into our compliant local government policy development
2 We are predominantly white and english speaking - making us a more comfortable fit for american management
3 We have a moderatly well educated, young work force who will are not very militant.

If we lose 1 - the americans will leave as 2 and 3 are bonuses
2. is not so important now - English is now the global language for business so there are millions of English speaking Indians queuing up to take our jobs as well as all across Europe. Also, not all American managers are white.

3. was more true a few years ago - the Pope's generation are now in their 30s. The birth rate fell from 1979 till the mid 90s so there are fewer young people.

America has enough problems trying to employ their own people these day anyway, I wouldn't really be looking there for future growth.