Why not restore the one party state we had in celtic tiger times?

shiel

What do you mean restore?!?

FFGLAB has always been the one party state, it has never been dislodged.
Look the celtic tiger period was unique in the history of this state.

There was never a time when media were nearly unanimously supporting the government before.

The OP is an attempt to highlight the danger of such an unanimity.

It does not matter which party or parties are involved.

All are human beings and capable of being corrupted by power.

That was demonstrated spectacularly in the celtic tiger period and its collapse was equally spectacular.

The danger now is that the media have not learned any lessons.

The evidence is there.

They have been cheer leading a return to the one party state again and again day after day.

ger12

The point is that the government in celtic tiger times was re-elected a number of times and would have been re-elected again and again and still be in power if the collapse had not happened.

The reason for that is they had the unquestioned support of the media to the extent that we had a virtual one party state.

The same would apply if any other crowd got re-elected continuously.

A one party state is not in the interest of this democratic republic.
I don't think we'll see a one party state for a very long time. Funny thing is, if it were a FG one party government you'd be delighted :lol:

shiel

During the celtic tiger, I was earning 25% more than I am know....so bring it on...

Anyone want to buy my house?
Government expenditure trebled in celtic tiger times.

Bank lending trebled in celtic tiger times.

It ended with a bankrupt country and an 85 bn euro bailout.

Have we learned nothing?

shiel

I don't think we'll see a one party state for a very long time. Funny thing is, if it were a FG one party government you'd be delighted :lol:
NO NO NO

You just want to make a partisan party political argument out of the discussion.

If any other group were in power having their arses licked by media day in day out during the celtic tiger period they could be better or they could have been worse.

But it is not in the interest of the citizens of this democratic republic to return to the one party state we had in celtic tiger times.

I perceive that that is what Irish media are now cheer leading.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Have we learned nothing?

Probably not.

Have people ever really learned anything?

shiel

Try thinking for yourself Dumbo.
Being in denial about the influence of mass media including the internet is not wise.

Multinational companies spend billions on ads to influence our behaviour.

They would not do that if there was no return.

Much of what we witness in media is manipulative.

The confluence of powerful media and powerful government for a long period as in celtic tiger times was not good and we are all paying for it.

shiel

Probably not.

Have people ever really learned anything?
Technology and health care are areas where the human race has learned a lot.

But in politics I am worried that we will repeat the extremes of the thirties and forties.

Accidental sock

Have we learned nothing?
So, you don't want to buy my house? It's only 22% pyrite

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

Look the celtic tiger period was unique in the history of this state.

There was never a time when media were nearly unanimously supporting the government before.

The OP is an attempt to highlight the danger of such an unanimity.

It does not matter which party or parties are involved.

All are human beings and capable of being corrupted by power.

That was demonstrated spectacularly in the celtic tiger period and its collapse was equally spectacular.

The danger now is that the media have not learned any lessons.

The evidence is there.

They have been cheer leading a return to the one party state again and again day after day.
Because that's the way that it is designed by establishment consensus. The establishment is merely a group with shared concerns and interests, it's not a conspiracy, it's a simple conflux of individuals who by and large share the same outlooks with some minor differences depending on their choice of FF/FG/Lab. The media is just a single element within all this, but worst of all it's fickle, and regardless of who's in power will always fall foul of it's own foibles.

The media couldn't change when the FG/Lab gov refused to hold it to account for it's cheerleading during the boom, one hand scratched the other. This has always been a one party state.

shiel

The return of the old celtic tiger government is being called the 'new politics' in today's paper.

I kid you not.

Analyzer

The Irish media are now trying very hard to make the FFu(cker who was a minister under all of Ahern's governments Tanaiste.

It really is astounding.

The electorate have not forgotten that the maFFia are a collection of c u n t s.

The media are creating the pretence that the maFFia are the people's choice for government. They are also lying about that idiot Varadkar as a possible Taoiseach.

The media have more clout than the electorate in this country.

Analyzer

The return of the old celtic tiger government is being called the 'new politics' in today's paper.

I kid you not.
The Irish media are in the bullsh!t business.

ger12

ger12

Marcos the black

For what? I stand by my assertion, you can try your bully boy tactics elsewhere.
Not bully boy, just asked you to back up your claims, which you have failed to do on every occasion. So, just to be clear, I'll ask again "what corruption is Enda guilty of"?

ger12

Not bully boy, just asked you to back up your claims, which you have failed to do on every occasion. So, just to be clear, I'll ask again "what corruption is Enda guilty of"?
And like I've repeatedly posted, be patient.

So you embraced the cronyism. You never did say which state board you got appointed to, I'm guessing the one with wind energy (see you'd have lots of wind to utilize).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies