Why only NOW that Greens are taking a stand? (& the story of 30 pieces of silver)

roc_

My guess is that the IMF intended to stop up the fount of green earmarked money and power that FF pledged in return for the green party's conscience.

So no more of Eamon Ryan's confused projects and incentives and grants and subsidies and rhetoric to weigh down the taxpayer and rate payer.

It is not as if the population have not been screaming at them since the guarantee at least, to stop lending their support to Fianna Fail's scheming to put the burden of the losses they aided and abetted in government onto ordinary working people.

The greens SOLD out. Now, when their grubby backhanders are to be relinquished, they suddenly take a stand against the government they supported through the worst of their doings.

God I loathe the Greens. Thank you IMF for this service you have done for us at least.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
The only reason I can see for the Greens making their announcement yesterday - and not after the budget had actually passed - is that they were trying to get out ahead of everyone else; that the discontent in Fianna Fail was going to bring the government down anyway, and that it would be better for themselves (and therefore for the country :) ) that they be seen as the ones to do it.

I think it backfired, and backfired badly. They thought that it would force the government into either setting a date for an election now (which is stupid) or going to the Aras now (which they almost did).

Fianna Fail - and Cowan in particular - will keep going, no matter what. Unless there is no other way but to call an election, unless they actually lose a vote of no confidence, they will stay in there, grimly hanging on.

Dan Boyle tweeted yesterday that they had "...thought long and hard about the likely consequences..." but clearly they had not thought long enough.

markjbloggs

The cynic in me would ask -

How long does a politician have to be in power to be eligible for a pension?

How many Green politicians are in power for less than this duration?

How many Green politicians will exceed this duration in mid-late January??????

Self-seriving bastids

sic transit

Many a relationship has foundered on a lie. Just no going back after it. Until recently the Greens were taking it for the agenda and could mostly defend the indefensible. The blatant disinformation and lies of the last few weeks gave them an excuse to be really upset. That and the fact that an enforced 4 year plan means there will probably be no more Green goodies on offer so it was a good time to be at one with the people. I have no doubt there's a vain hope that they'll actually get TDs in the next Dail as well.

One would hope this will provide a salutary lesson of the dangers of voting for a small party you have a passing fondness for.

Squire Allworthy

I think it backfired, and backfired badly. They thought that it would force the government into either setting a date for an election now (which is stupid) or going to the Aras now (which they almost did).

Fianna Fail - and Cowan in particular - will keep going, no matter what. Unless there is no other way but to call an election, unless they actually lose a vote of no confidence, they will stay in there, grimly hanging on.

Donegal will take the wind out of Cowen's sails.

The Greens took a political decision, I doubt if it had anything to do with money. They need to up the anti a bit and force a date. I think withdraw from government; vote of no confidence after Donegal.

FF need to be out, they MUST NOT be allowed to negotiate the bailout etc.

Desperate Dan

Self-seriving bastids
At least we only have to look at their greedy puss's for another 2 months.
The sight of them bast!!ds sitting at the table turned my stomach and that other little sh!!e with the rent a kid on his lap at supposed to be a serious press conference. What a load of cr!p. I look forward to the demise of greens.
:mad::mad::mad:

Self-seriving bastids
Does anyone have the actual facts of how an immediate election v a mid-January election would affect Green TDs salaries?
I have heard this one flagged many times without any definite facts, if someone could clarify that would be good

iartaoiseach

the greens, the first time I've seen rats deserting a ship just as it nestles on the seabed. their stupidity knows no bounds.

iartaoiseach

Self-seriving bastids
the realist in me would agree with ya there.

anewbeginning

So basically the Greens are going to leave the government after the budget is passed, and all the other debates and bits and pieces associated with are passed and the President signs off on it, and the Senate have their say, and after the IMF talks are concluded, which by the way can be conducted without any politicians involved at all.

My bets are the Greens will still be clinging desperately to power in April.

Maximus Cynicus

Many a relationship has foundered on a lie. Just no going back after it. Until recently the Greens were taking it for the agenda and could mostly defend the indefensible. The blatant disinformation and lies of the last few weeks gave them an excuse to be really upset.
I think, in part, it could be as simple as that. Like the Dick Spring/Albert Reynolds divorce some years ago. A by-product of lies that "broke the camel's back"

deirdrem

So basically the Greens are going to leave the government after the budget is passed, and all the other debates and bits and pieces associated with are passed and the President signs off on it, and the Senate have their say, and after the IMF talks are concluded, which by the way can be conducted without any politicians involved at all.

My bets are the Greens will still be clinging desperately to power in April.
I more than suspect that that is in fact the gormless one's intention - he's hoping to turn the party back around to his way of thinking before the inevitable happens.
It has long been my opinion that he is the most power-greedy of them all, and will do all he can to stay in power.

LooseCannon

That will be good news if they are clinging to power in April, it will mean that they have been re-elected.

sport02

Posted something similar on another thread.

The Greens knew full well a January general election was never on the cards, but because their press conference was rushed yesterday they had to say Jan, instead of the realistic date of March, because people would of thought why were they semi-detaching themselves from goverment far too early in public.

Then Gormless Gormley backs down on the six one news yesterday and accepts ultimately it is the Taoiseach's decision.

Dan Boyle claims they made the decision last Saturday, anybody think it is strange between then and yesterday morning Paul Gogarty couldn't arrange a babysitter?

Anybody that supports the Greens still should be ashamed of themselves, these cabbages are rotten to the core, and are now propping up the FF party so they can replace their leader, regroup, politely tell the Cabbage Heads to F-OFF, and have their election in March/EARLY APRIL.

RIP GREENS.

BlackLion

the greens and the backbenchers are doing what any TD would do in their position. when theres a threat to their pockets alarm bells start to go off.
Simple as

jmcc

If they are doing what I think that they are doing, it is very smart. They've turned an uncontrolled destruction of a government into a carefully staged demolition. By forcing a timeframe, it effectively gives some certainty to what is a mess of Fianna Fail's making. It also provides an exit strategy for the Greens that does not depend on the loss of Independent votes or rebel FFers.

Regards...jmcc

Radix

T'would seem to me that Greens are protecting their franchise operation, knowing full well that very soon their representatives will be asking for votes, and that they hope to form a green element of a future administration.

Hence all the talk about the necessity for sustainability, the greening of Europe etc.

It was about putting distance between them and their current partners in government, so that the above might happen.

My guess is, that they will be lucky to return even one TD.

Jmcc is spot on about controlling the heretofore uncontrollable.

anewbeginning

The Greens need to show an ounce of intelligence between the whole lot of them and pull the plug on this government immediately.

Waiting until March is simply not an option.

All the evidence is things get worse and worse and worse under Cowen and Lenihan. God knows what kind of mess they will have landed us in by March. We might be in the middle of national meltdown and a civil war at that stage if things continue as they are.

For goodness sake, just pull the plug. FF are idiots, it's blatently obvious. How much more evidence do you people need?

ManfredJudge

Why only NOW that Greens are taking a stand? (& the story of 30 pieces of silver)

Non-polluting silver is harder to obtain?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies