Why should disabled people not be sexually active?

Disillusioned democrat

I came across this on the IT facebook page.

In theory it’s all fine and dandy - why not, we’re all right on cool 21st century cats.

In practice, though, how realistic is it for people who may not be able to look after kids to be sexually active?

TBH I really don’t know how I really feel about this - is it political virtue signaling gone made or is it a realistic expectation?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/why-should-disabled-people-not-be-sexually-active-1.3406100

Dame_Enda

The recent Sexual Offences Act I think addressed this issue to some extent by recognising some disabled people are capable of giving consent. Theres a world of difference between a minor and a major disability. The problem with the previous law is that it treated disabled people as uniformly unable to give consent which was an ignorant and unsophisticated perspective. For example I was on a course a few years ago and there was a person there with Scoliosis. Its ludicrous to suggest he can't give consent. He was able to walk around and was mentally very sharp.

Last edited:

Spirit Of Newgrange

when DeValera ran the country, NOBODY was allowed to be sexually active....except the clergy very active doing abusive sex with minors and adult consent sex with each other.

Turbinator

Something on Channel 4 a few years ago about brothels in Amsterdam catering for disabled men. Featured a father who had a disabled son that he brought over at the age of 20. Said is was life changing in a positive way for the young man

Old Mr Grouser

I came across this on the IT facebook page.

In theory it’s all fine and dandy - why not, we’re all right on cool 21st century cats.

In practice, though, how realistic is it for people who may not be able to look after kids to be sexually active?

TBH I really don’t know how I really feel about this - is it political virtue signaling gone made or is it a realistic expectation?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/why-should-disabled-people-not-be-sexually-active-1.3406100
I recall this idea - Why should disabled people not be sexually active? - being promoted in the 1970s.

It was then exposed that its advocates were pervert care-workers seeking to justify their sexual abuse of those in their care.

Dame_Enda

Something on Channel 4 a few years ago about brothels in Amsterdam catering for disabled men. Featured a father who had a disabled son that he brought over at the age of 20. Said is was life changing in a positive way for the young man
I think in the Netherlands its even part of the social welfare system for the disabled.

dizillusioned

There are a lot of mentally disabled morons in here having sex ...(not looking at anyone in particular)....

CatullusV

For Jesus sake, how is the OP related to either the article or the thread title?

cricket

Remember reading an article years ago about a bishop Birch from Kilkenny who, in the 60's or 70s, raised the issue of the sexual needs of the disabled and, seemingly, was almost beheaded for even mentioning it.
Can't remember where I saw it though.

enuffisenuff

do you have to actually have kids to be sexually active then so?

middleground

Are we talking about persons with a Hearing disability? or Seeing? or Breathing? or Mobility? or Learning? or Intellectual? etc. etc. So many different types and severities that it could cover 20% of the population. What about males under 5'6"?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies