Why should people on Social Welfare be paid by the state to sit at home ?

Luigi Vampa

Why should people on Social Welfare be paid to sit at home ?

There is endless talent and experience available in the 450,000, and endless work that needs doing in every community in Ireland.

Surely most of them would prefer to be doing 20-30 hours work per week for their localities, self respect, routine, community benefit, experience for the CV, the advantages are endless.

Surely it would be a win-win situation for us all ?

TonyBird

What have you got in mind ? Its not a bad theory but I dont see how it can be implemented . How much would it cost to set up a quango to organize it ?

nixmix

Give them vouchers to buy food and pay bills. Thats all they should get. No taxpayers money should be spent on drink or cigarettes. If they want € then they can work

johnfás

Give them vouchers to buy food and pay bills. Thats all they should get. No taxpayers money should be spent on drink or cigarettes. If they want € then they can work
What makes you think the unemployed, which count among its ranks thousands of qualified lawyers, architects, accountants, teachers and nurses, are any more likely to be junking out on drink or cigarettes than the rest of the population? I don't particularly think that institutionalising people onto food stamps is the best way of ensuring they move back into the workforce as quickly as possible.

Luigi Vampa

What have you got in mind ? Its not a bad theory but I dont see how it can be implemented . How much would it cost to set up a quango to organize it ?
Nothing more than what we already pay out on welfare.

Are there no empty properties in Ireland ?

Are there no former managers and office staff on the dole, no supervisory staff ?

Every skill you need is there, from solicitors, to plumbers, painters, drivers, care assistants, you name it.

Local communities urban and rural are dying on their feet, lets put the heart back into them.

nixmix

What makes you think the unemployed, which count among its ranks thousands of qualified lawyers, architects, accountants, teachers and nurses, are any more likely to be junking out on drink or cigarettes than the rest of the population? I don't particularly think that institutionalising people onto food stamps is the best way of ensuring they move back into the workforce as quickly as possible.
Its not solely about moving them back onto the workforce it is about ensuring that taxpayers money is used wisely.

TonyBird

Nothing more than what we already pay out on welfare.

Are there no empty properties in Ireland ?

Are there no former managers and office staff on the dole, no supervisory staff ?

Every skill you need is there, from solicitors, to plumbers, painters, drivers, care assistants, you name it.
Yes but what 'projects' can they do ? As a dolie , I would be happy to work in my community . However I will not be exploited for any 'private' projects .

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
They could pick up all the waste tickets at horse racing events around the country. Where the real lazy bones congregate for every meeting.

Take out a few boats from the Marinas for exercise.

Attend a few Gala events to see what they are missing.

Walk around the grounds of all the Castles and affect an accent.

Appear on Nationwide as they start their own vineyard... on a very small scale of course. The Grapes of Wrath.

johnfás

Its not solely about moving them back onto the workforce it is about ensuring that taxpayers money is used wisely.
It isn't solely about making sure that money is used wisely either. If you institutionalise people making it less likely that they will re-enter the workforce the cost is greater in the long run because of welfare dependency, even if the unit cost is lower in gross terms.

Plus, what makes you think that a quango type system for food stamps would actually be a wise use of money? Surely better that people spend money in their local economy and keep the cogs of the economy moving. It is quite likely a false economy. You can't make general rules regarding national tax and welfare policy based on small samples of people wasting money on booze and fags.

jules

I am on welfare, but am constantly trying hard to get a job. iv'e had a few interviews but no luck so far
i am one of thousands who worked in architecture and lost my job when work dried up. before that i was never out of work before that, except when in full time education, and do not like being unemployed. i would willingly volunteer for charities as I feel the number of homeless in dublin is appaling and there is a need to do something.

Luigi Vampa

Yes but what 'projects' can they do ? As a dolie , I would be happy to work in my community . However I will not be exploited for any 'private' projects .
Are there no elderly people, or people with special needs, living on their own who need assistance with their care or day to day jobs around the house ?

Is your town litter free and all the public areas painted and green areas kept ?

Are your playgrounds safe and all the equipment working ?

Could the local kids not do with sports and music coaching or training in other skills ?

Ask any community worker, I'm sure the needs are endless. ?

ONQ

I qualified in 1990 as an architect.
I'm now trying to find profitable work.
I'd be happy to advise people on building, design and property-related matters here in Ireland.

Since May 2009 I have been offering competent (I hope) planning advice gratis on a well known Irish website.
Would you prefer I did so from a government sponsored [heated, lit and insured]office?
No problem.

Want me to bend my considerable talents to the task of devising solutions for ghost estates and securing unfinished assets to preventing their further deterioration?
You pay my UA, plus my car insurance, PI cover, travel expenses, printing expenses and out of pocket expenses that may be incurred in providing such a service and I'm your man.

ONQ.

politicaldonations

Welfare is too high but everyone should be entitled to a small amount of money regardless of whether they want to work or not. As a citizen of a state i cant freely fish where i like, hunt wild animals where i like, build a log cabin where i like, cut down wild trees for wood where i like. The state should give me a small amount each year to compensate for these natural rights of survival that you give up in a state.

TonyBird

Are there no elderly people, or people with special needs, living on their own who need assistance with their care or day to day jobs around the house ?

Is your town litter free and all the public areas painted and green areas kept ?

Are your playgrounds safe and all the equipment working ?

Could the local kids not do with sports and music coaching or training in other skills ?

Ask any community worker, I'm sure the needs are endless. ?
There are indeed such needs , in my area . However the people with 'the power' ie the council , are a bunch of idiots .

Luigi Vampa

I qualified in 1990 as an architect.
I'm now trying to find profitable work.
I'd be happy to advise people on building, design and property-related matters here in Ireland.

Since May 2009 I have been offering competent (I hope) planning advice gratis on a well known Irish website.
Would you prefer I did so from a government sponsored [heated, lit and insured]office?
No problem.

Want me to bend my considerable talents to the task of devising solutions for ghost estates and securing unfinished assets to preventing their further deterioration?
You pay my UA, plus my car insurance, PI cover, travel expenses, printing expenses and out of pocket expenses that may be incurred in providing such a service and I'm your man.

ONQ.
Good man, I'm sure there are plenty of local community groups that would be only too happy to avail of your assistance if such a scheme existed. Would you not be willing to accept a lift to their sites and have a look for them ? You'd have to accept that in return for the dole some voluntary work and flexibility would be expected.

gijoe

You do realise you will be slaughtered from a height by the bleeding hearts here for your views. However, it is the truth that shall not speak its name about Social Welfare payments in Ireland that a very large portion of it goes on drink and fags. Whenever you here about social welfare recipients saying that they 'cannot survive' on €196/week or cannot take a cut in the Children's Allowance what they really mean is that they cannot continue to feed their 20 or 40 fags a day habit at €9/pack plus the couple of bottles of vodka if social welfare is cut. Similarly when you hear the likes of Barnardos saying that children are coming to school hungry I bet if you look into those cases it is not a case of a lack of resources that is the problem but the priortising of fags and booze over food by the parents. Is the solution to this problem to throw more money at social welfare recipients as Barnardos et al would argue? I reckon most definitely not.

Didimus

I'm not in favour of workfare but certainly agree that it would be good both for individuals and communities if those who have lost their job could avail of volunteering opportunities.
Here's a good place to look
Volunteering Ireland - Links

soubresauts

"Why should people on Social Welfare be paid by the state to sit at home?"

They're not simply paid to sit at home. There's a condition attached. You have to be actively seeking work in order to get the dole. There's an army of inspectors employed (on big salaries) to ensure that you're "actively seeking work". The system is absurd.

What we need is a Basic Income for all. Everybody is entitled to an unconditional payout from the State. There's a vast amount of wealth in the country. Some of it was built up by the hard work of those who went before us, our parents, grandparents, and the dead generations. We're all entitled to a share in it. The simplest and fairest way to share it out is to give everyone, and I mean every citizen, a monthly payout (according to age, and with a few other protections -- disability, etc.).

Instead, what's happening is that we have ever-increasing inequality in Ireland, and more and more of Ireland's wealth will be handed over to foreign bankers.

By the way, there are 800 quangos in Ireland. About 700 of them are completely useless and should be shut down immediately. That would save billions every year. Of course it would upset some friends of FF-Greens.

The FF-Greens will be gone from government and (most of them) from the Dáil soon, but the quangos will remain, unless people cop on.

Luigi Vampa

There are indeed such needs , in my area . However the people with 'the power' ie the council , are a bunch of idiots .
I'm talking about community work, not current local authority work.
We can't fork out extra money for these public services. Expecting the state to do everything for us has to be changed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies