• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why the boom was the worst thing to happen to Ireland

RahenyFG

A list of points in my opinion why the boom was the worst thing to happen to Ireland. Economically, politically and socially.

-The high rise in property prices meant ordinary joes were paying(and still are paying) sky high mortgages. Many people couldn't even afford homes and put out of the market or forced to rent.

-People buying things they couldn't afford or didn't need like an expensive home, second home, a second or third car, sending their children to a private school etc

-The worsening hospital situation across the state which saw huge waiting times on trolleys and massive backlogs of patients.

-The lax nature of the media. The media during the boom years rarely critiqued the policies of the government of the day or severely warned of the impending crash. The few truthful voices were silenced. Media had a vested interest in the boom and property in particular as property adverts made huge money for papers like the Irish Times and the Irish Independent back in the day.

-How lazy we became because of the boom. The increase in wealth combined with car ownership has seen a situation where nobody will walk, cycle or use public transport to go anywhere. The church car park in my area is full of drivers who only live 600m-half a mile from the church. Same goes for schools, people who live on the same road will drop their kids to school. It's no surprise with the rise in car ownership and shorter journeys that obesity is on the rise in Ireland especially for children.

-The ghost estates and poorly built houses that were constructed during the boom with little or no regulation.

-The complacency that swept through the Irish people. Responsible for the crash with over spending at the highest level by our government who believed the good times would keep rolling. Related to part 2 as well with people buying and living dream lifestyles that were beyond their means.

-Arrogance in that we believed we were high and mighty and that low paid jobs were not good enough for us. The amount of Irish people employed in the services sector rapidly decreased during the boom years and now Irish people are banging at the door in the services industry dying for work.

-The fall out from the boom and the current recession which has seen a low morale from the public towards politics.

The boom of the mid 90s to 2008 and the crash afterwards and what it did to Irish society is a lesson we should never forget and seek to erase and change for the better.

slippy wicket

The worst thing in modern times, yes definitely.

The worst thing ever, not by a long shot.

RahenyFG

Worse than the great famine like?

Worse than Cromwell?
Not disrespecting the great famine but the fallout from the recent boom and the bank bailout will cripple this nation with it not being paid off till 2070.

Last edited:

Ex celt

Worse than the great famine like?

Worse than Cromwell?
Cromwell was a true republican and paved the way for the revolutions of the C.18th.
He also put manners on the monarchy. Connacht in the 17th century was a more attractive proposition than now.

seanmoylantd

No. Eamon Dev was and then , the scourge of his party FF.
I can live with the bank bailout if it gets rid of civil war politics. Please o please.

wishywashy

A list of points in my opinion why the boom was the worst thing to happen to Ireland. Economically, politically and socially.

-The high rise in property prices meant ordinary joes were paying(and still are paying) sky high mortgages. Many people couldn't even afford homes and put out of the market or forced to rent.

-People buying things they couldn't afford or didn't need like an expensive home, second home, a second or third car, sending their children to a private school etc

-The worsening hospital situation across the state which saw huge waiting times on trolleys and massive backlogs of patients.

-The lax nature of the media. The media during the boom years rarely critiqued the policies of the government of the day or severely warned of the impending crash. The few truthful voices were silenced. Media had a vested interest in the boom and property in particular as property adverts made huge money for papers like the Irish Times and the Irish Independent back in the day.

-How lazy we became because of the boom. The increase in wealth combined with car ownership has seen a situation where nobody will walk, cycle or use public transport to go anywhere. The church car park in my area is full of drivers who only live 600m-half a mile from the church. Same goes for schools, people who live on the same road will drop their kids to school. It's no surprise with the rise in car ownership and shorter journeys that obesity is on the rise in Ireland especially for children.

-The ghost estates and poorly built houses that were constructed during the boom with little or no regulation.

-The complacency that swept through the Irish people. Responsible for the crash with over spending at the highest level by our government who believed the good times would keep rolling. Related to part 2 as well with people buying and living dream lifestyles that were beyond their means.

-Arrogance in that we believed we were high and mighty and that low paid jobs were not good enough for us. The amount of Irish people employed in the services sector rapidly decreased during the boom years and now Irish people are banging at the door in the services industry dying for work.

-The fall out from the boom and the current recession which has seen a low morale from the public towards politics.

The boom of the mid 90s to 2008 and the crash afterwards and what it did to Irish society is a lesson we should never forget and seek to erase and change for the better.

"Nobody will walk,cycle or use public transport to go anywhere". Did you make that up or do you have evidence to support it?

Arthur

The destruction of the beautiful Irish countryside with 'one-off' housing and thus the vast decrease in social capital that resulted as previously tightly knit rural communities could not absorb the sudden increase in population. This resulted in Ireland becoming the most car dependent society after California.
Blame here squarely falls on the lack of planning by the local County Councils, and to name two that are examples that I am most familiar with must be Cork and Cavan County Councils.
I hold these councils with contempt and accuse them of rape of the Irish countryside.

corkery

Cromwell, the plantations, the Famine, the Civil war, the troubles, the penal laws.

BlackLion

It gave us Bertie, Cowen and Kenny or A.K.A tweedle dee, tweedle dum and tweedle c**t. yes it was the worse thing to happen.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide ...

- The Gaffer

firefly123

Not disrespecting the great famine but the fallout from the recent boom and the bank bailout will cripple this nation with it not being paid off till 2070.

wombat

The problem was, it wasn't a boom, it was a bubble.
We had decent growth in the late 90's based on an expanding industrial sector, then we switched to flogging houses to ourselves.

jo9jo

The problem was, it wasn't a boom, it was a bubble.
We had decent growth in the late 90's based on an expanding industrial sector, then we switched to flogging houses to ourselves.
Exactly.

The problems began with the Euro.
If we still had the punt, our central bank would have prevented the economy from overheating and growth would have stayed constant.
We would always have had the option to devalue to help the multinationals who export most of their products.

The Euro fuelled boom was one of the worse things to happen to Ireland in living memory.
Over 60 years ago the people of Ireland were poor.
In 2013 the peope in Ireland are poor and hopelessly in debt.

I think the people over 60 years ago had more hope for their children than most parents today in 2013 in Ireland.

Sad, but true.

Quebecoise

Cromwell was a true republican and paved the way for the revolutions of the C.18th.
He also put manners on the monarchy. Connacht in the 17th century was a more attractive proposition than now.
So we can conclude from your post that butchery in the name of republicanism is sometimes justified.

Shpake

Well I returned to Irl ca. the new millenium after many years abroad. I was kind of amazed at all the young people driving cars and buying houses as if they were Americans. We seemed to have become a consumer shopping society then. I was pleasantly surprised at the way social services were run. Fairly generous, health service quite good and old people taken care of. I have to say that I felt it could not last as I had grown up in a totally different environment. I recall seeing a "new Irish" lady crossing O'Connell st with her two children and a third in a pram and asking myself: "Who is going to take care of all this when the boom comes to an end?" Well around 2005 or 2006 they began predicting a soft landing... But one good thing is that the troubles have died down remarkably. That's great and republican sinn fein has found a platform to express their views... The catholic church has been put under the spotlight. Women's position in society has improved. And Ireland has got itself some rockstars. Not all bad...
I have to say though... I ended up living in close quarters with some young people of Ireland's golden age. I was amazed at what they would throw away. With me saving was an ingrained habit, second nature... I was stunned how the children of the boom threw money around as if it was confetti. and threw things away for half nothing. Just like spoiled american kids. I think they'll have to be learning the old habits.

parentheses

FG should have opposed joining the euro.