Why the Justice System is Broken - some Judges just dont understand what Justice is!

Catalpast

Another farcical sentence handed down by a Judge today to a violent thug with a long criminal history:

A 25-year-old career criminal who, in the words of the judge, "tortured a decent, wonderful, kind" 89-year-old widow during a "vicious, violent, savage, and brutal" attack at her home, has been jailed for eight years.

Michael Cash, from Ashlawn Park in Ballybrack, Dublin, was one of two men who beat and kicked Eva Sutton in the head and body during the robbery at her home in Bray, Co Wicklow in September 2015

How can Judge O'Shea possibly be of the opinion that this is an appropriate sentence for such a repulsive Crime?

I honestly don't think there is anyone outside the ranks of the Judiciary that would think that it is!

I hope the DPP appeals this decision on the grounds of being too lenient.

As this is a Politics site I wonder if any of the local politicians will comment on such an appalling sentence

- or do any of them care?:|

cunnyfunt

Another farcical sentence handed down by a Judge today to a violent thug with a long criminal history:

A 25-year-old career criminal who, in the words of the judge, "tortured a decent, wonderful, kind" 89-year-old widow during a "vicious, violent, savage, and brutal" attack at her home, has been jailed for eight years.

Michael Cash, from Ashlawn Park in Ballybrack, Dublin, was one of two men who beat and kicked Eva Sutton in the head and body during the robbery at her home in Bray, Co Wicklow in September 2015

How can Judge O'Shea possibly be of the opinion that this is an appropriate sentence for such a repulsive Crime?

I honestly don't think there is anyone outside the ranks of the Judiciary that would think that it is!

As this is a Politics site I wonder if any of the local politicians will comment on such an appalling sentence

Those two conts should be fkn executed! Read that earlier and became just a little fkd off with our joke of a system......again..

Bring back the death penalty!

Dame_Enda

This man had 96 prior convictions, including for assault and burglary. The system of concurrent sentencing must be abolished completely to take these lowlifes off our streets. And if that requires a prison building program then so be it. Waiting around for the Irish Penal Reform Trust to give the go-ahead for either is a waste of time.

Furthermore, with 10 years and remission, he might only serve 5 years. So abolish remission too for violence against the elderly and murder.

razorblade

Absolute lowlife filth.

Mushroom

Put your emotions back in your hand bags, ladies, and advise me as follows:-

1. What was the scumbag charged with?

2. What way did he plead?

3. What is the maximum sentence possible for the offence(s) of which he was found guilty?

Only when I know these facts, I will be in a position to comment on the severity or otherwise of the learned judge's sentence.

Incidentally, it's unfair to blame members of the judiciary for the fact that faceless non-judges have decided that any sentence that is awarded can be substantially discounted [by up to 33% (?)] for "good behaviour". Ludicrous yes, but NOT the fault of the judiciary.

Niall996

3. What is the maximum sentence possible for the offence(s) of which he was found guilty?

Only when I know these facts, I will be in a position to comment on the severity or otherwise of the learned judge's sentence.

Incidentally, it's unfair to blame members of the judiciary for the fact that faceless non-judges have decided that any sentence that is awarded can be substantially discounted [by up to 33% (?)] for "good behaviour". Ludicrous yes, but NOT the fault of the judiciary.
Who determines minimum and maximum sentences?

former wesleyan

Michael Cash (25), of Ashlawn Park, Ballybrack, Dublin, appeared on Tuesday before Judge Michael O’Shea at Wicklow Circuit Court, charged with burglary, false imprisonment, and assault causing harm.

15.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of false imprisonment who intentionally or recklessly—

(a) takes or detains, or

(b) causes to be taken or detained, or

(c) otherwise restricts the personal liberty of,

another without that other's consent.

(2) For the purposes of this section, a person acts without the consent of another if the person obtains the other's consent by force or threat of force, or by deception causing the other to believe that he or she is under legal compulsion to consent.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

3.—(1) A person who assaults another causing him or her harm shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.3.—(1) A person who assaults another causing him or her harm shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

Hewson

I'm totally opposed to the death penalty and, regardless, it wouldn't apply in this case even if was still on the statute books.

However, having read the judge's comments in this case I see a Grand Canyon-sized gap between his expressions of outrage and the sentence he went in to impose. It's why the justice system in Ireland, and the people who oversee it are so often the subject of ridicule.

We all have our own interpretations of what constitutes 'justice' in relation to a given crime. The more reprehensible we view the crime the more angry we feel and the harsher the sentence we want.

For me this obscenity warrants a 25+ years sentence for both criminals. That one had 96 previous convictions points to a mindset that will probably never be reformed.

I don't want to see US-level sentencing for crimes in Ireland but neither do I want to see judges making an ass of a system whose primary function is to maintain some level of order in society. To describe a crime as 'torture', particularly given the age of the victim and to then go on to impose a sentence less than that imposed on a VAT-evading garlic importer suggests that this particular judge is in need of some serious reappraisal in his position.

Round tower

Totally agree, a longer sentence would probably be appealed by the 2 men on been too harsh and another judge would cut the sentence

Mushroom

Nice work f w, thanks.

Now please tell me, was he found guilty of all 3 offences with which he was charged?

an innocent abroad

Causing harm?

Is that what they call massive injuries to a woman of that age, not alone the terror, being dragged from room to room by the hair, kicked in the face and ribs. I'm astonished a woman of her years even survived such a brutal barbaric and savage attack.

Why not GBH, or attempted murder? Did he believe any of those kicks to her head could have killed her or the cracked ribs piercing her lung?

92 previous convictions?

I hope he meets his match in prison and everday of his sentence he lives with the same fear he imposed on that poor woman.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I've said it before and will say it again.

Some people simply cannot be rehabilitated, its too late for them.

Like anything else, follow the money - how many organisations exist to service the 'needs' of the poor, poor criminals and how many exist to support victims.

The answer is depressing, to say the least.

Anyway, if these criminals are locked away for any length of time, how exactly will the poor solicitors and barrister be able to access the largesse of free legal aid?

You people have no compassion at all - do you have any idea how much it costs for 18 holes on a decent course these days, FFS?

:mad:

Bertie's Hat

I saw Eva Sutton being interviewed on the news. Terrible case, poor woman. The dirt that committed this assault deserve a miserable existence

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies