Why Trump isn't all wrong on the NFL/NBA protesters.

owedtojoy

Colin Kaepernick Won His Settlement With the NFL - The Atlantic

Technically, Colin Kaepernick withdrew his collusion case. Technically, the NFL did not admit that it conspired to blackball Kaepernick from the league after he began taking a knee during the national anthem to protest racial injustice. But nontechnically speaking, the NFL lost. Massively.

The terms of the settlement, announced on Friday, were not disclosed. But it doesn’t matter how much money Kaepernick ultimately receives from the NFL; what matters is that he bested a league that has a long history of pummeling its opposition in court, especially players.

owedtojoy

Several Ole Miss athletes kneel during anthem in response to pro-Confederacy rally

"This was all about the hate groups that came to our community to try spread racism and bigotry. It's created a lot of tension for our campus.

Our players made an emotional decision to show these people they're not welcome on our campus, and we respect our players freedom and ability to choose that."
— Coach Kermit Davis, University of Mississippi
The University of Mississippi or "Ole Miss" has a major role in the history of de-segregration in the South. James Meredith had to go all the way to the Supreme Court, and JFK had to nationalise the Mississippi National Guard to get Meredith registered at Ole Miss in 1962. Now, the anniversary is celebrated at the college.

Analyzer

NFL = No Fools Left.

Conservatives are increasingly ignoring spectator sports.

And liberals are not spending enough time watching spectator sports, and are not spending enough money on NIKE sportswear, and other branded products to make up the difference.

Analyzer

NFL figures continue to drop.
Exactly. The liberals are not spending enough time watching to make up for lost revenue/viewership.

Therefore the NFL will be forced to change, due to a lack of support from liberals.

owedtojoy

NFL = No Fools Left.

And liberals are not spending enough time watching spectator sports, and are not spending enough money on NIKE sportswear, and other branded products to make up the difference.
Conservatives lost this one, so they are taking their football and going home to rich Daddy?

Well, good luck to them.

Still, there is always soccer.

NFL still the largest spectator sport by far in the USA, 2018 figures, have not seen 2019, changes from previous year in brackets):

NFL 39% (-2)
Basketball 11% (-1)
Baseball 9% (-4)
Soccer 7% (+3)
Hockey 4^ (+1)

owedtojoy

NFL = No Fools Left.

Conservatives lost this one, so they are taking their football and going home to rich Daddy?

Well, good luck to them.

NFL still the largest spectator sport by far in the USA, 2018 figures, have not seen 2019, changes from previous year in brackets):

NFL 39% (-2)
Basketball 11% (-1)
Baseball 9% (-4)
Soccer 7% (+3)
Hockey 4% (+1)

Somehow, I think the rise in computer gaming among young people might have something to do with this, as well as other factors. Maybe Conservatives are not that stupid, after all.

Soccer Will Soon Be America's Third-Favorite Spectator Sport

O'Sullivan Bere

Well, good luck to them.

NFL 39% (-2)
Basketball 11% (-1)
Baseball 9% (-4)
Soccer 7% (+3)
Hockey 4% (+1)

Somehow, I think the rise in computer gaming among young people might have something to do with this, as well as other factors. Maybe Conservatives are not that stupid, after all.

Soccer Will Soon Be America's Third-Favorite Spectator Sport
Soccer's popularity definitely keeps growing in the US. That same Gallup poll places soccer as the second most popular spectator sport among those 18 to 34 years old.

With that growth, Trump and the GOP and its media allies haven't given attention to the rise of right wing hooliganism in US soccer:
How New York City Soccer Fans Are Fighting Fascism In The Stands - HuffPo

MLS, the US-Canada professional league, has pretty much declared political neutrality upon the issue, focusing instead on actual fan misconduct.
While the presence of right-wing extremist fans in MLS is obvious, rooting out the problem isn't - Yahoo Sports

I understand the logic, pragmatism and fairness considerations of the current MLS position that misbehaviour at matches and related activities will be addressed, but 'off the pitch' personal political thought and politics will not be policed. IMO, if a fan with unpopular social and political views wishes to attend MLS matches and behaves in a lawful and rules-abiding manner, then that's fine and fair to do.

That said, some of these 'nice people' that attended Charlottesville and are Proud Boys and other thugs are abusers and brawlers at or about the matches.

Quelle surprise...it's a nonissue with Trump or the GOP and on FOX and other right wing media.

Herr Rommel

Soccer's popularity definitely keeps growing in the US. That same Gallup poll places soccer as the second most popular spectator sport among those 18 to 34 years old.

With that growth, Trump and the GOP and its media allies haven't given attention to the rise of right wing hooliganism in US soccer:
How New York City Soccer Fans Are Fighting Fascism In The Stands - HuffPo

MLS, the US-Canada professional league, has pretty much declared political neutrality upon the issue, focusing instead on actual fan misconduct.
While the presence of right-wing extremist fans in MLS is obvious, rooting out the problem isn't - Yahoo Sports

I understand the logic, pragmatism and fairness considerations of the current MLS position that misbehaviour at matches and related activities will be addressed, but 'off the pitch' personal political thought and politics will not be policed. IMO, if a fan with unpopular social and political views wishes to attend MLS matches and behaves in a lawful and rules-abiding manner, then that's fine and fair to do.

That said, some of these 'nice people' that attended Charlottesville and are Proud Boys and other thugs are abusers and brawlers at or about the matches.

Quelle surprise...it's a nonissue with Trump or the GOP and on FOX and other right wing media.
Soccer is a yobs sport to say you are trying to blame this on the POTUS shows how sad and desperate people are to try and make anything stick to the man.

owedtojoy

Soccer is a yobs sport to say you are trying to blame this on the POTUS shows how sad and desperate people are to try and make anything stick to the man.
Trump charged at this like a bull at a gate .... he even had Pence fly to an NFL game so that he could walk out when players exercised their rights of free speech.

All he achieved was to alienate another tranche of young people who want to live in a free country, not a white one.

Tired of winning then?

Last edited:

Polybius

Trump charged at this like a bull at a gate .... he even had Pence fly to an NFL game so that he could walk out with players exercised their rights of free speech.

All he achieved was to alienate another tranche of young people who want to live in a free country, not a white one.

Tired of winning then?
All the free countries in the world were created by white men, and I include Japan and South Korea in that as the Americans forced them to be Liberal democracies Post Ww2.

O'Sullivan Bere

Strawman argument. Quit masturbating and reply to what's actually said and linked.

O'Sullivan Bere

Please explain how POTUS is responsible for soccer thugs in a sport which is known to attract very low brow people.
I didn't write that he was personally responsible for these thugs, although some of them are known to have attended the white supremacist 'Unite the Right' rally at Charlottesville that resulted in violence and death where he referred to "many fine people on both sides."

Jack Walsh

I didn't write that he was personally responsible for these thugs, although some of them are known to have attended the white supremacist 'Unite the Right' rally at Charlottesville that resulted in violence and death where he blamed "both sides" and referred to "many fine people on both sides."
Rommel is on record of saying if a black boy called to his house to see his daughter "he wouldn't call a second time"
i can assure you unlike Trump, Rommel considers there were "fine people" on only one side at Charlottesville

Herr Rommel

Rommel is on record of saying if a black boy called to his house to see his daughter "he wouldn't call a second time"
i can assure you unlike Trump, Rommel considers there were "fine people" on only one side at Charlottesville
I said if it was an African Jack and as usually you are wrong.

Jack Walsh

I said if it was an African Jack and as usually you are wrong.
ffs
"How dare you allege that I said I'd hammer some Black kid who called to my house, when in fact i said I'd hammer any African kid that called to my house"

Thanks for clearing that up Rommel
I am sure any black kid not born in Africa would get a great welcome off you
lol

Wagmore

I dont think an Irish audience at Croke Park would take kindly to Irish players taking the knee to protest against social problems.
That would be so funny. Hope I live to see it. Imagine one of the new Irish hitting their knee on all Ireland day in Croker because he was pissed off with this kip. The type of Libbyloon shytte that would hit the fan would be hilarious. Immigration Times would consecrate him, GAA would feck him out of the organisation if not the country.

Jack Walsh

That would be so funny. Hope I live to see it. Imagine one of the new Irish hitting their knee on all Ireland day in Croker because he was pissed off with this kip. The type of Libbyloon shytte that would hit the fan would be hilarious. Immigration Times would consecrate him, GAA would feck him out of the organisation if not the country.
You know nothing about the GAA with your numbskull " they'd be fecked out of the country" shite
If black people in this country were being shot unarmed and the Gardai who did it walking free, and a black player made a dignified protest, there would be no recriminations, I guarantee you.
I know GAA members inside out, they are decent and fair.
You have some stupid notion they are a bunch of mad RA heads who'd lynch some darkie who dissed the anthem.

Might I point out to you and the other clueless poster who refers to "Irish players at Croke Park" (no Irish players play at Croke Park ffs) that the current Irish rugby captain remains stony silenced while his team mates belt out the Irish Anthem.
And hardly anyone gives two fu*ks that he does, and rightfully so.