Why Was FG So Spiteful to President Cearbhall ó Dáilaigh?

General Urko

I watched the Scanall documentary recently on President Cearbhall ó 'Dailaigh. It is hard to understand the level of pettiness, Cosgrave's Administration had towards him. Not just in refusing to accept Donnegan's twice offered resignation, but previously in refusing him the right to go to Pope Paul VI Funeral and refusing to let him accept foreign honours!

Of course it didn't do The Blueshirts/Red Blueshirts much good as they got the unelected Dracula for 14 years in his place!

Surely, this behaviour towards a President of Ireland is absolutely unprecedented. Thankfully, our Current one isn't really gagged at all, they wouldn't even dare try it!

Any thoughts on this one and indeed on the absolutely disgraceful event which led to his resignation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cearbhall_Ó_Dálaigh

Uganda

I watched the Scanall documentary recently on President Cearbhall ó 'Dailaigh. It is hard to understand the level of pettiness, Cosgrave's Administration had towards him. Not just in refusing to accept Donnegan's twice offered resignation, but previously in refusing him the right to go to Pope Paul VI Funeral and refusing to let him accept foreign honours!

Of course it didn't do The Blueshirts/Red Blueshirts much good as they got the unelected Dracula for 14 years in his place!

Surely, this behaviour towards a President of Ireland is absolutely unprecedented. Thankfully, our Current one isn't really gagged at all, they wouldn't even dare try it!

Any thoughts on this one and indeed on the absolutely disgraceful event which led to his resignation?

O Dalaigh was a provo fellow traveller and deserved everything he got.

He was a precious little sh1t.

Dame_Enda

FG opposed the 1937 constitution originally and claimed the office of president risked becoming a dictatorship. I think given no FG President had ever been elected and no Labour one before 1990, that the Blueshirts may have resented the office as some FF Trojan horse for some time.

Of course Cod was quite active in using presidential powers to hold up anti terror legislation and that did make him unique. Also it seems the word used by Donnegan was not "thundering" but "f#####g".

There are parallels with how FF expressed their contempt for the office of Governor General by repeatedly humiliating him in the 1930s eg not inviting him to official functions. Ironically that man was a FFer. It's like projecting distaste for the office onto the person. A sort-of constitutional-iconoclasm.

Uganda

FG opposed the 1937 constitution originally and claimed the office of president risked becoming a dictatorship. I think given no FG President had ever been elected and no Labour one before 1990, that the Blueshirts may have resented the office as some FF Trojan horse for some time.

Of course Cod was quite active in using presidential powers to hold up anti terror legislation and that did make him unique. Also it seems the word uses by Donnegan was not "thundering" but "f#####g".
And delayed signing into law a measure that would curb the murdering shinners.

Not much ever heard about that.

Bea C

Of course Cod was quite active in using presidential powers to hold up anti terror legislation and that did make him unique. Also it seems the word uses by Donnegan was not "thundering" but "f#####g".
No, I think it was 'thundering' alright, just 'disgrace' wasn't the word that followed.

Dame_Enda

He was within his constitutional rights not to sign the bill before referring it to the SC.

I've explained how I see the dynamics from the govt perspective. I think from the president's perspective it was that the Head of State in the common law system inherited from the British monarchy can't be seen as opposing the govt. Parallels with this can be seen in how Queen Victoria repeatedly threatened abdication if the British govt didn't do what she wanted.

edifice.

But it didn't curb anything, merely exposed the rabid partitionism of FG.

cricket

Another old wives tale, there were a few hundred present as well as a local journalist who could have made quite a name for himself by reporting use of f word. If it happened, would have been revealed by now.
O'Dálaigh was definitely a bit precious and detached from the real world, moving in academia and judicial circles but was treated badly by Cosgrave.
In the Scanall programme, the swearing in is quite hilarious where O'Dalaigh appears to be correcting the Irish pronunciation of the chief justice, ironically a former presidential candidate.

Bea C

I saw that programme too!
All I have ever had to say about the incident is imagine were that pis$ed drunk Minister a FF man?
We'd forever be having it thrown at us.
At least, in fairness to Donegan, he did keep offering his resignation, the then Taoiseach was the prime disgrace.
Cosgrave would be someone I've a personal grip with, though, too. Last week, after that show, I was sending about pictures of the letter he sent in response to me ten years ago this month!

PBP voter

Of course Cod was quite active in using presidential powers to hold up anti terror legislation and that did make him unique. Also it seems the word used by Donnegan was not "thundering" but "f#####g".

There are parallels with how FF expressed their contempt for the office of Governor General by repeatedly humiliating him in the 1930s eg not inviting him to official functions. Ironically that man was a FFer. It's like projecting distaste for the office onto the person. A sort-of constitutional-iconoclasm.
Go point. Never really looked at it that way before.

ON THE ONE ROAD

it was a start of a shift in policy towards the north, basically not upsetting that country next door who routinely go around the world kicking the ************************ out of people.

The president of ireland or john hume pft it didn't matter, any one who said anything that could be considered at even a tenuous level the questioning of the states policy towards north, was labeled a provo fellow traveler.

it wasn't personal it was because he dared to step out of line, albeit on a matter he was qualified to speak. the latter made it noticeable.

Sister Mercedes

In the entire history of this state, the only thing that a president found objectionable enough to resign was when his own ego was insulted.

The_SR

O Dalaigh was a provo fellow traveller and deserved everything he got.

He was a precious little sh1t.
Wasn't that attitude precisely the problem at the time? With FG and their draconian powers and cosying up to brit death squads or you were in the Ra. No shades of grey.

Come to think of it, not much has changed. Including things like water charges.

I recall at the time in the next episode of Hall's Pictorial Weekly in the opening sequence some guy at a bar opening up a newspaper just a normal Joe having a pint and a read. As he was doing so the camera zoomed into the top corner of the front page, which contained the weather summary.

The predicted weather: "Disgraceful thunder".

Uganda

He was within his constitutional rights not to sign the bill before referring it to the SC.

I've explained how I see the dynamics from the govt perspective. I think from the president's perspective it was that the Head of State in the common law system inherited from the British monarchy can't be seen as opposing the govt. Parallels with this can be seen in how Queen Victoria repeatedly threatened abdication if the British govt didn't do what she wanted.
Im not disputing his right to refer it to the SC. Nor am I referring to that. I am referring to the period after the SC ruling.

d7bohs

O'Dalaigh is quoted in Douglas's Architects of the resurection -about Ailtiri na hAiseirighe - to the effect that the Nazi project would " smash forever the power of the Jews and [ make Germany] a stronghold and a beacon of knowledge between America and Asia".

The Field Marshal

In the entire history of this state, the only thing that a president found objectionable enough to resign was when his own ego was insulted.
It's not that simple.
Odaly was commander of the Irish army and was insulted by the minister at a dinner for army officers.

When the govt seemed to be supporting this minister Daly really had no choice.

It was playing politics with presidency and no doubt FG we're glad to see him go.

Many unfortunate enough to have dealings with Daly found him to be petty and vainglorious should they be on the other side.

redneck

Mr O Dalaigh was regarded by the FG/Labour/Democratic Left as pro IRA. He also had an Irish language name which upset some also.
When the election came along in 1977 the people gave their verdict, and returned Fianna Fail with a massive majority- almost wiping out Fine Gael and Labour in the process. It was an unsettling time in this country really and Mr O Dalaigh was a victim.

Telstar 62

O'Dálaigh was an arrogant barrister, judge, Chief Justice.

An awful primadonna - always on his high horse over something
or other.

His regular showing off of his French was hilarious, to be fair....:D

redneck

O'Dálaigh was an arrogant barrister, judge, Chief Justice.

An awful primadonna - always on his high horse over something
or other.

His regular showing off of his French was hilarious, to be fair....:D
He sounds a bit like Garret FitzGerald. Showing off French and so on.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies