Why was there no celebration in 2017?

MichaelR

2016 was all about celebrating 100 years of the Easter Rising.

But the Easter Rising,with its dear cost in Irish blood, did not establish the Irish state.

The 1937 Referendum, creating the new Constitution and basing the legitimacy of the State on the people's will, not an uprising and not a treaty, arguably did establish the modern Irish state.

Why no celebration?

Perhaps because FG was against that referendum then, is in government now, and did not want the embarrassment? But if so, why did FF not run a big celebration? Or they did and I missed it?

Bill

the constitution at 80 was held in the University of Limerick in november

LookWhoItIs

But the Easter Rising,with its dear cost in Irish blood, did not establish the Irish state.

The 1937 Referendum, creating the new Constitution and basing the legitimacy of the State on the people's will, not an uprising and not a treaty, arguably did establish the modern Irish state.

Why no celebration?

Perhaps because FG was against that referendum then, is in government now, and did not want the embarrassment? But if so, why did FF not run a big celebration? Or they did and I missed it?
Shur have a wee party yourself

Bill

Is it true that an amendment was made to the original venue?
don't know, I did find Justice O'Donnell's talk about judicial interpretation of the constitution to be interesting, very interesting

razorblade

Because it was what happened in 1916 which led to the foundation of this state and hence a much bigger celebration.

Sync

There was a huge party. Everyone was invited except you. It was an 80th anniversary party. No Michaels allowed. The president was allowed in because we're allowed to have one.

Eire1976

There was a huge party. Everyone was invited except you. It was an 80th anniversary party. No Michaels allowed. The president was allowed in because we're allowed to have one.
My head was sore for days after - blowy from joanie

Spirit Of Newgrange

maybe because Bunreacht na hEireann is an embarrassment of a document.

putting the church at the centre of everything. That plus our dodgy 2 party state of Proportional Representation weakness has led to 100 years of failure.

Cai

Why don't you all have a day off to celebrate each anniversary of every referendum?

enuffisenuff

what about Johnny Logan 1987 eurovision winner..no word on that in 2017 either..ffsakes

statsman

Why no celebration?

I've already books a table for 2037. Working, as I do, in units of 10, 100, 1000 and so on.

Beachcomber

Why no celebration?

Was 2017 the 100th anniversary of an event that took place in 1937?

McTell

Twitter
No
Was 2017 the 100th anniversary of an event that took place in 1937?

How can that be as it's in the future?

Everyone knows we're in 1439, why would you be interested in something 600 years ahead?

New Threads

Most Replies