• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Why we should close women's prisons .... The Guardian

silverharp

The paper of troll comes about with another gem. Are we on board? close women's prisons? personally Im happy for reform based on recidivist probability ie weighting the sentences of repeat offenders and taking certain classes of "crime" out of the prison system , drugs, not complying with civil type court orders etc. but this is loopy , the original suffragettes (I believe) fought for the rights of women to be made eligible for capital punishment.

Why we should close women's prisons and treat their crimes more fairly | Mirko Bagaric | Opinion | The Guardian

Women almost never scare us; commit random acts of serious violence; violate our sexual integrity; or form organised crime networks and yet their prisons numbers are now the highest in recorded history.

The homogeneity of the human species breaks down when it comes to criminal behaviour. Women, who constitute slightly more than 50% of population, commit only about 20% of all crime. They commit even a lower portion of all serious crime.

Hillary Clinton is right to assert that the sentencing system should be reformed to reduce the growing number of female prisoners but the changes should go much further than has been suggested. We should implement concrete targets to remove the stains on our landscape and societal ethic that are women’s prisons.

Watcher2

The paper of troll comes about with another gem. Are we on board? close women's prisons? personally Im happy for reform based on recidivist probability ie weighting the sentences of repeat offenders and taking certain classes of "crime" out of the prison system , drugs, not complying with civil type court orders etc. but this is loopy , the original suffragettes (I believe) fought for the rights of women to be made eligible for capital punishment.

Why we should close women's prisons and treat their crimes more fairly | Mirko Bagaric | Opinion | The Guardian
hahahahahahaha, some people are funny.

Accidental sock

Where are the transgenders prisoners gonna pee and shower?
I know it's tempting....but civilised people do that in two different locations...

Old Mr Grouser

What a total load of tripe.

Far and away the most common form of criminal organisation is the (criminal) family, and it's the women that head the families, telling their sons, partners and brothers what to steal; and overseeing the buying and selling.

What's needed is more women's prisons; especially in Ireland, so as to break-up those criminal families.

silverharp

hahahahahahaha, some people are funny.
but he is an academic, he cant be wrong....

Professor Mirko Bagaric, is the Director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Sentencing at Deakin University, Melbourne.

firefly123

Having made a few ambulance calls to the dochas prison (or whatever they call it) in Mountjoy I can assure you these "ladies" would not be welcome on the streets.

silverharp

What a total load of tripe.

Far and away the most common form of criminal organisation is the (criminal) family, and it's the women that head the families, telling their sons, partners and brothers what to steal; and overseeing the buying and selling.

What's needed is more women's prisons; especially in Ireland, so as to break-up those criminal families.
I never heard that before , there is sociology Phd right there on a study of the matriarchal role within major crime families. :D

farnaby

More importantly, how many women were there in the "female prison" in The Auld Triangle"?

In the female prison there are (how many???) women
And I wish it was with them that I did dwell
And that auld triangle, went jingle jangle
All along the banks of the Royal Canal
I've heard versions with 70, 74 and 75. What artistic licence justifies such variation?

stopdoingstuff

Heroines and all as they were, the original suffragettes displayed a number of less fortunate attitudes as viewed from 2016.
Yeah but we can let that go. Even Ghandi had his rubbish side.

farnaby

Women almost never scare us; commit random acts of serious violence
Any man who has been in a long term hetero relationship knows that "random" and "violence" are exactly the right words for the emotional outbursts we have to put up with.

As for scary, we'd rather attend a Traveller wedding feud than one of those.

Betson

Remember a few years ago in the UK Cameron appointed a junior minister minister(or whatever they call them) to the Justice portfolio I think and her first public statement was that she did not believe there was any reason ever to send a woman to prison no matter what they done , even the ones that committed evil acts were just victims of society.

She made some bizarre statements about woman only do bad things if forced to or are influenced by men and were incapable of evil as opposed to males.

Wonder what she would think of the lesbian couple who were convicted yesterday in the UK of horrible child abuse and torture leading to death of one child in their care and sustained and horrifying physical abuse OF other children in their care , to see them smirking and laughing at the cameras yesterday would tend to disprove the incapable of evil theory.

But no doubt some do gooder group somewhere is claiming them women to be victims as well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies