• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why We Should Leave The Euro - Portuguese Economist Argues

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Why We Should Leave The Euro by Portuguese economist Professor João Ferreira do Amaral finds its readership in Portugal.

A Euro Exit finally has stopped being taboo. Professor Ferreira do Amaral argues that his country has no chance of growing fast within a monetary union with a currency this strong. Same could be said about Ireland. Have we reached a tipping point is an orderly dismantling of the euro zone the most humane way to go about the Eurozone imbalances?

Ribeye

Doom mongers in 5,4,3......

Oh wait, that's me,

DEATH TO THE EURO!!!!

:)

P Ryan

people can't seem to get it into their skulls that the Euro is forever, with no opt outs :)

Ribeye

people can't seem to get it into their skulls that the Euro is forever, with no opt outs :)
Yeah, how do you square that with history?

Every single Fiat currency ever invented by man has failed,

Yet, you think the pathetic fragmented Euro will be first,

Good luck with that:)

tipp revolution

Could we have all anti euro protests on the beaches in the algarve? I don't think this weather is going to last!!

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Every currency will finally succumb to corruptions and incompetence. One can still have a European Union though with a transfer element in which rich and productive economies keep unproductive, small or uncompetitive members in the union alive indefinitely. As long as they don't kill their host countries that is.

P Ryan

Yeah, how do you square that with history?

Every single Fiat currency ever invented by man has failed,

Yet, you think the pathetic fragmented Euro will be first,

Good luck with that:)
I thought it seemed pretty obvious my ridiculous statement was sarcastic...

JCR

If Portugal leave the Euro all the textile manufacturing that used to be based in Portugal will move back from Asia and all their problems will be solved.

gerhard dengler

Why We Should Leave The Euro by Portuguese economist Professor João Ferreira do Amaral finds its readership in Portugal.

A Euro Exit finally has stopped being taboo. Professor Ferreira do Amaral argues that his country has no chance of growing fast within a monetary union with a currency this strong. Same could be said about Ireland. Have we reached a tipping point is an orderly dismantling of the euro zone the most humane way to go about the Eurozone imbalances?
Thanks for that interesting link.

It is good to see that the option of leaving the Euro is being discussed publicly in Portugal.

The economic evidence probably makes a compelling case for a Euro exit. Whether the political reality is as compelling is the issue, I suspect.

R3volution_R3ady

Buy gold, and seed banks!
What is it that makes you a Eurobot? Is it fear? Fear of the unknown perhaps?

Thankfully, we do know and it would be an education to you if you were prepared to listen for once.

JCR

why can't they do it with the Euro?
Sorry I was beng sarcastic, Portugal's problems aren't caused by the euro, they were very reliant on the exact kind of manufacturing thats has basically upped sticks and moved to the slave markets in Asia.

Howya

Unfortunately the link only provides the usual headline sound bites. Not having a copy of the book, I don't know what the economist is saying on such topics as euro denominated house loans, potential for inflation as cost of imports rise. I don't think anyone argues that a revert to national currency will result in anything other than devaluation (and a potential boost for exports) but what about the other issues such as inflation etc?

Ren84

What is it that makes you a Eurobot? Is it fear? Fear of the unknown perhaps?

Thankfully, we do know and it would be an education to you if you were prepared to listen for once.
A lecture on fear from a Paulbot? Oh the irony. I have nothing to be afraid of. My Euros are just as good as they were when it was introduced back in 2002. And my Euros will be just as good in another 10 years. I'm not the one ranting about "fiat money" and urging everyone to buy gold. :lol:

patfitzbally

Thanks for that interesting link.

It is good to see that the option of leaving the Euro is being discussed publicly in Portugal.

The economic evidence probably makes a compelling case for a Euro exit. Whether the political reality is as compelling is the issue, I suspect.
you could say the same about ourselves

Clanrickard

There is a good economic case for many countries leaving the Euro but as I have said many times before, economics won't be the basis for any decisions in this regard. Too many people and too many organisations have staked too much for the Euro to be allowed to fail. If some citizens of EU nations have to take a decade or so of misery and poverty then that is price many Eurotrons are willing to pay.