• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why we will always be a banana republic.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Tonight as I watch the news, the difference between Ireland and the U.K. could not be more striking. Over there the BBC DG takes responsibility and resigns, a day after it finds a programme made an error. He had no hand act or part in the making of the programme, didn't see it in advance, but feels duty bound to resign as editor in chief.
In this country the AG approved a booklet which cost the taxpayer over €1m, contained wrong information, broke the law and yet she's still in office and there are no demands for her to stand down. This country will always be a banana republic until we start holding people in power accountable for their behaviour.

ruserious

Another thread attacking the Republic as Keith wishes to live beneath the bum flaps of her grace, Lilly.

Tawdy

Tonight as I watch the news, the difference between Ireland and the U.K. could not be more striking. Over there the BBC DG takes responsibility and resigns, a day after it finds a programme made an error. He had no hand act or part in the making of the programme, didn't see it in advance, but feels duty bound to resign as editor in chief.
In this country the AG approved a booklet which cost the taxpayer over €1m, contained wrong information, broke the law and yet she's still in office and there are no demands for her to stand down. This country will always be a banana republic until we start holding people in power accountable for their behaviour.

Oh yes! we have no bananas! :shock:

darkhorse

We will remain a banana republic as long as we have a national inferiority complex. Our shame at our past misdemaneours confirms our imagined inferiority. As soon as you/we are proud of your past record then your sense of inferiority will disappear.

seabhcan

There is slightly more to his resignation than that. He is also connected personally with the axing of the original Savile Newsnight report, because he didn't want to disrupt the christmas schedules.

We will remain a banana republic as long as we have a national inferiority complex. Our shame at our past misdemaneours confirms our imagined inferiority. As soon as you/we are proud of your past record then your sense of inferiority will disappear.
you can suffer your own inferiority complex if you like but please don't drag everyone else down with you.

Schomberg

Parish politics. It's a fukking dead weight hanging around the countries neck. Jim Joe, the 2nd year Maths teacher getting elected to fix the pot holes in Ballgobackwards. Where do you go from there? There was a time when Ireland was producing politicians like Parnell, Grattan, Henry Flood, Beresford etc etc

potholedogger

Will he get a big juicy severance package?

Quite the opposite
I was trying to make that exact point
Good because having lived abroad and invested likewise I refuse to accept it.

I remember one person in an office complaining about the thick Irish, reminded her that half the senior management were Irish and she as a Brit lived in a council house she didn't own, her husband was unemployed for 5 years yet people who were immigrants had passed her by.

HR did have a word with me as she complained but word was next time use this, this and this as well to shut her up.

Ruff says Flaherty

I was just about to start a similar thread.

We're different here for some reason.

darkhorse

Good because having lived abroad and invested likewise I refuse to accept it.

I remember one person in an office complaining about the thick Irish, reminded her that half the senior management were Irish and she as a Brit lived in a council house she didn't own, her husband was unemployed for 5 years yet people who were immigrants had passed her by.

HR did have a word with me as she complained but word was next time use this, this and this as well to shut her up.
Hmmm ... ok
But what does that have to do with the OP ?
(nice story though it is ...)

politico24

How did the op feel about Bertie Ahern at the 2007 general election after it was in the public domain that he had trousered numerous 'dig-outs' and that these were being investigated by a tribunal which would not be able to go further until after the election?

How did he feel about Willie O'Dea at the High Court? etc etc.

This country needs better ethics, there needs to be more transparency and accountability. I am at one with you there. The Ref Commission messed up and there should be consequences. I just find it annoying (and this isn't meant as a dig at Keith) when I hear people who defended the worst excesses of FF stroke/cronyism/corruption get so outraged now over matters such as this. I have even heard former FFers give out about the low-turn out in today's referendum and try to pin it on the coalition!

If they are finding things tough going from an opposition perspective, have they any idea what it was like for the rest of us during their fourteen years! :)

J

john moriarty

Another thread attacking the Republic as Keith wishes to live beneath the bum flaps of her grace, Lilly.
Whatever about the OPs
preferences, replying to
the content is generally
encouraged on sites such
as this.

lying eyes

In this Country we have no values and no principles. Our leaders /from Goverment- Business- Church, have operated to the aforementioned standards. So these core values are now the norm. We the people let them, so we are just as guilty. That is why we are where we are. Sadly.

darkhorse

Whatever about the OPs
preferences, replying to
the content is generally
encouraged on sites such
as this.
Yeah this site is full of Bob Geldof save the world types...
They often fall all over each other trying to pretend they are saving something