Why were the Irish veterans of Jadotville ostracised?

davidcameron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville

Until the early 21st century, the Irish state did not give much recognition to the battle of Jadotville. The term "Jadotville Jack" was sometimes applied as a term of derision about the Irish Defence Forces.
The government has belatedly recognised the soldiers for their bravery.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1202/924518-medal-jadotville/

The Catholic Church practically ran the Republic at the time of the Siege of Jadotville and stresses the obligation to respect the sanctity of human life. Therefore, one would assume that the Church hierarchy would be glad that all the Irish soldiers who fought at Jadotville survived.

So why were they ostracised?

ruserious

Because they surrendered.

Nowadays we understand the heroic efforts made by the soldiers and accept the woefully inefficient supply lines getting to them, but the Irish State was not in the right place mentally to cheer a surrender in the early 60s.

Also Conor Cruise O'Brien. The perpetual dick of Irish politics.

Nebuchadnezzar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville

The government has belatedly recognised the soldiers for their bravery.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1202/924518-medal-jadotville/

The Catholic Church practically ran the Republic at the time of the Siege of Jadotville and stresses the obligation to respect the sanctity of human life. Therefore, one would assume that the Church hierarchy would be glad that all the Irish soldiers who fought at Jadotville survived.

So why were they ostracised?
So the Catholic Church is to blame for the poor treatment of the Jadotville soldiers? That’s a new notion.......go on so, based on what?

davidcameron

Because they surrendered.

Nowadays we understand the heroic efforts made by the soldiers and accept the woefully inefficient supply lines getting to them, but the Irish State was not in the right place mentally to cheer a surrender in the early 60s.

Also Conor Cruise O'Brien. The perpetual dick of Irish politics.
But the Church places a huge emphasis on the sanctity of human life and it practically ran the country at the time. Surely, that meant that the Church thought it was better that the soldiers had surrendered and then came home alive rather than being brought back in bodybags.

Therefore, you haven't answered my question.

Nebuchadnezzar

But the Church places a huge emphasis on the sanctity of human life and it practically ran the country at the time. Surely, that meant that the Church thought it was better that the soldiers had surrendered and then came home alive rather than being brought back in bodybags.

It’s a really dumb question. What did the Church have to do with how the veterans were treated?

davidcameron

So the Catholic Church is to blame for the poor treatment of the Jadotville soldiers? That’s a new notion.......go on so, based on what?
I was not blaming the Church.

At the time, most Catholic lay people in the Republic deferred to the Church. The Church places great emphasis on the sanctity of human life. So why were the government and the Irish Defence Forces' equivalent of high command not happy that the soldiers had been brought home alive? After all, most politicians and Defence Forces commanders deferred to the Church, didn't they?!

davidcameron

It’s a really dumb question. What did the Church have to do with how the veterans were treated?
Because government ministers and most of the public deferred to the Church. So if the Church told ordinary Catholics to be glad that the veterans had been brought home alive, most of them would have adhered to that, wouldn't they?!

Nebuchadnezzar

At the time, most Catholic lay people in the Republic deferred to the Church. The Church places great emphasis on the sanctity of human life. So why were the government and the Irish Defence Forces' equivalent of high command not happy that the soldiers had been brought home alive? After all, most politicians and Defence Forces commanders deferred to the Church, didn't they?!
Yes you are, seemingly based on a general presumption that everything bad in Ireland was the fault of the Church. What has the Church to do with Jadotville? Still time for dumbest thread of the year btw.

ruserious

I'm guessing this is some kind of psudo-thought experiment because the Church, while practicing lip service, certainly didn't respect the sanctity of life. Tuam etc.

Also you were getting into the Lemass and Whitaker years which saw the State unshackle some of the more restrictive Religious chains around her neck.

Vega1447

I expect that the Belgians (and the Brits & French) put the arm on our Govt to downplay the heroism of our troops.
Because it might embarrass "business interests".

Disgraceful but there you go.

As for CCOB; a man who would have been quite happy for Irishmen to die for him, not so much the reverse.

davidcameron

Yes you are, seemingly based on a general presumption that everything bad in Ireland was the fault of the Church. What has the Church to do with Jadotville? Still time for dumbest thread of the year btw.
I was working on the assumption that most Irish Catholics did what the Church hierarchy told them to do. The Church emphasises the sanctity of human life. Therefore, I don't see why they would have ostracised the Jadotville veterans.

You know fine well I'm not blaming the Church. Stop being disingenuous.

Nebuchadnezzar

I was working on the assumption that most Irish Catholics did what the Church hierarchy told them to do. The Church emphasises the sanctity of human life. Therefore, I don't see why they would have ostracised the Jadotville veterans.

An OP that has nothing in it other than a statement that the CC controlled everything in Ireland. Nothing about the military culture in the army or the the fact that this was Ireland first major overseas UN mission and that any surrender was seen by those at the time as a disgrace. It had nothing to do with the Church.

former wesleyan

You're being disingenuous yourself. The " surrender " didn't sit well with political parties who glorified violence.

davidcameron

I expect that the Belgians (and the Brits & French) put the arm on our Govt to downplay the heroism of our troops.
Because it might embarrass "business interests".

Disgraceful but there you go.

As for CCOB; a man who would have been quite happy for Irishmen to die for him, not so much the reverse.
I'm aware of the part that Belgium played in the crisis but I haven't seen any indication that the British and French governments supported the Katangan government. After all, Britain and France are two of the permanent members of the Security Council and so the UN mssion wouldn't have taken place at all if either of them had vetoed it. So why would they support entities that were attacking UN forces?

davidcameron

You're being disingenuous yourself. The " surrender " didn't sit well with political parties who glorified violence.
They glorified the Easter Rising and the War of Independence but there's no evidence that they glorified violence that was taking place in the early 1960s.

former wesleyan

They glorified the Easter Rising and the War of Independence but there's no evidence that they glorified violence that was taking place in the early 1960s.
Tradition of violence.

Sweet Darling

Firstly. It was a diplomatic incident between Ireland and lowlife Belgium. and made Irelands rep' on the UN look bad.
Secondly, The Army nor the Department of Defence did not know how to handle a defeat, so hamfistedly blotted it out of Army History.
Now compare it to the British Army and there embarrassedly numerous defeats over the years. Dunkirk, Norway, Singapore, Rorke's Drift, Crete, Basra, Helmand etc, etc. They get Pinewood and Ardmore studios on to it to fake up a heroic angle. Start dishing out VCs like confetti to deflect the publics attention and stich exotic names on regimental colours to try and maintain moral.

Last edited:

parentheses

I'm aware of the part that Belgium played in the crisis but I haven't seen any indication that the British and French governments supported the Katangan government. After all, Britain and France are two of the permanent members of the Security Council and so the UN mssion wouldn't have taken place at all if either of them had vetoed it. So why would they support entities that were attacking UN forces?
The Belgians, French, and British, wanting influence in the wealthy region, supported the Katanga movement in practice, if not in name.
Congo in Crisis: The Rise and Fall of Katangan Secession - Association for Diplomatic Studies and TrainingAssociation for Diplomatic Studies and Training

Nedz Newt

There's a huge amount of space between being "ostracised" and being "lauded as heroes". Were they actually ostracised, and if so, from what were they excluded?
If they experienced adverse social or career consequences, that'd be an indicator.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies