Why will the Pope not let priests get married?

davidcameron

Francis seems to be liberal - according to the statements he has made so far in his Papacy, e.g. the sympathy he has expressed for homosexuals.

My point is:

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married? After all, in the Vatican, he is the boss. Therefore, his decision is final. Is it not?!

cricket

Francis seems to be liberal - according to the statements he has made so far in his Papacy, e.g. the sympathy he has expressed for homosexuals.

My point is:

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married? After all, in the Vatican, he is the boss. Therefore, his decision is final. Is it not?!
Anything good on telly ?

Mrwoody

Would priests that get married then end up having sex you know on a cold night in a bed with someone else, that would be shame full and a sin.

Fritzbox

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married?
What, and then have to admit that they've been wrong for the last 1800 years or so? Which then raises the question - where else is the church very much mistaken?

Felixness

Celibacy isn't a natural state and it should have been abolished a long time ago.

ger12

Weren't they once allowed to marry?

Felixness

I don't know. What I do know is that it makes life a lot easier if you have a loving partner to lean on, especially when you have a very stressful job. The Church needs to adapt or die, and surprisingly the 2 Catholic churches in my town are thriving, which really surprised me.

ger12

I don't know. What I do know is that it makes life a lot easier if you have a loving partner to lean on, especially when you have a very stressful job. The Church needs to adapt or die, and surprisingly the 2 Catholic churches in my town are thriving, which really surprised me.
Thriving? Poles?

flavirostris

He's a terrible pope. There's very little between him and extreme shítlibs.

The Herren

My point is:

I believe the Pope is afraid to allow priests to marry in case they marry each other.

wombat

Yes, as far as I know, celibacy was introduced to prevent priest's children inheriting church property. That said, the monastic tradition seems to have started fairly early, sort of I love God so much, there's no room for anyone else. Must admit having worked with the son of a minister, he was a credit to his father.

PeacefulViking

My point is:

Do priests make enough to support a large Catholic family?

PeacefulViking

There are married priests still in the RCC. In the Eastern Catholic churches, just like the Orthodox churches, there are married priests. There are also married priests who have converted from Anglicanism. It would be interesting to know how many of them use contraceptives.

wombat

There are married priests still in the RCC. In the Eastern Catholic churches, just like the Orthodox churches, there are married priests. There are also married priests who have converted from Anglicanism. It would be interesting to know how many of them use contraceptives.
As far as I know, its practice rather than doctrine, most likely, married priests are no different to other married folk.

PeacefulViking

As far as I know, its practice rather than doctrine, most likely, married priests are no different to other married folk.
Yes, the party line is that the pope could allow married priests at any time, unlike female priests which are supposedly ruled out forever.

publicrealm

I was told by an eminent Benedictine once that there is no bar to them marrying?

New Threads

Most Replies