Why will the Pope not let priests get married?

PeacefulViking

I was told by an eminent Benedictine once that there is no bar to them marrying?
If they want to keep their jobs or be faithful to the rules of their religion there is a bar. If they marry the marriage is not even recognized as valid by the church so they would also be committing the mortal sin of fornication if they have sex with their spouse.

JimmyFoley

Paul explicitly referred to the 'right' of apostles to have a wife accompany them on their travels; however, he also made it clear that he thought celibacy was preferable. Therefore you can argue the toss!

cabledude

Money. That's why. The church does not want kids of priests inheriting church property or other assets.

dizillusioned

Paul explicitly referred to the 'right' of apostles to have a wife accompany them on their travels; however, he also made it clear that he thought celibacy was preferable. Therefore you can argue the toss!
I think the toss is what is prefered by the authorities, rather than having succession rights of kids.

publicrealm

If they want to keep their jobs or be faithful to the rules of their religion there is a bar. If they marry the marriage is not even recognized as valid by the church so they would also be committing the mortal sin of fornication if they have sex with their spouse.
He said that the rule of St Benedict didn't forbid marriage - and Benedictines appear to regard this as their guide.

But I'm not aware of any that married - (he has since become Abbot).

PeacefulViking

He said that the rule of St Benedict didn't forbid marriage - and Benedictines appear to regard this as their guide.

But I'm not aware of any that married - (he has since become Abbot).
That monks were supposed to be unmarried may have been so obvious that it was not said separately. The rule does prescribe communal living that would be incompatible with any sort of normal married life. (Eg they are supposed to sleep in dormitories.)

Spanner Island

What, and then have to admit that they've been wrong for the last 1800 years or so? Which then raises the question - where else is the church very much mistaken?
For close to the first 1000 years or so of the RCC priests could marry... until some gobsh!te(s) Pope(s) decided to change things.

Allowing priests to marry would be just reverting to the way things were.

>>> https://www.futurechurch.org/brief-history-of-celibacy-in-catholic-church

>>> http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/696

Half Nelson

What a bunch of curtain-twitchers!

If adult men choose a life of celibacy then why should that be anybody's business but their own?

Get back in your own bedrooms!

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Francis seems to be liberal - according to the statements he has made so far in his Papacy, e.g. the sympathy he has expressed for homosexuals.

My point is:

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married? After all, in the Vatican, he is the boss. Therefore, his decision is final. Is it not?!

"Why will the Pope not let priests get married?"

Because he wants them all for himself.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

If adult men choose a life of celibacy then why should that be anybody's business but their own?

But they are not given a choice.

They have to commit to a life of celibacy as part of the job requirements.

I'd say that there might be more applications to join the priesthood if men could choose to marry a woman.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
For close to the first 1000 years or so of the RCC priests could marry... until some gobsh!te(s) Pope(s) decided to change things.

Allowing priests to marry would be just reverting to the way things were.

>>> https://www.futurechurch.org/brief-history-of-celibacy-in-catholic-church

>>> History News Network | When Did the Catholic Church Decide Priests Should Be Celibate?

Well said.

It was OK at one time within the RC church, and it isn't a thing like advocating the return of slavery - ie a proposal to revert to a bad practice that society no longer deems to be acceptable.

The Field Marshal

But they are not given a choice.

They have to commit to a life of celibacy as part of the job requirements.

I'd say that there might be more applications to join the priesthood if men could choose to marry a woman.
I want to be a pilot
That means I must commit to a life in the air.

This is grossly unjust

Trouble too is I hate flying.

There would be an awful lot more applications for airline pilots if they did not have to fly aeroplanes.

The Field Marshal

Catholic Priests are required to be celibate.

This requirement makes it and rightly so ,the publics business.

Follower

They made a free choice and know the score. Furthermore, today it's probably much easier to choose to leave clerical life than in the past.

Old Mr Grouser

Catholic Priests are required to be celibate.

This requirement makes it and rightly so ,the publics business.
You're right.

And, seeing as how you're something of a canon-lawyer yourself, I'm sure you'll appreciate these comments on celibacy that were made a few weeks ago by Fr Tom Doyle OP, an American canon-lawyer when he was giving evidence, - as an Expert Witness regarding the Child Abuse problems within the Roman Catholic Church - to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse sitting in Sydney.

[video=youtube;-w3SJ3n35QI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3SJ3n35QI[/video]

Last edited:

Old Mr Grouser

Do priests make enough to support a large Catholic family?
The Vatican and the bishops have no excuse for not paying Ireland's RCC clergy the going rate for the job---the same decent salaries that the Protestant churches pay their ministers.

Catholic congregations are larger than their Protestant equivalent, and every bit as ready to put their hands in their pockets.

mr. jings

Francis seems to be liberal - according to the statements he has made so far in his Papacy, e.g. the sympathy he has expressed for homosexuals.

My point is:

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married? After all, in the Vatican, he is the boss. Therefore, his decision is final. Is it not?!
Francis still thinks homosexuals are disordered. He can go shove his sympathy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies