Why will the Pope not let priests get married?

sadmal

I doubt it. Looking at what has been said recently by some I would say Francis would be delight if a bishop took the plunge for him. He cant necessarily do it himself do to court politics in the Vatican, but he could give support. In addition the bishop would have done absolutely nothing wrong and would have massive public as well as institutional support for what he did. Could act as a catalyst for a purge of some of the serious opposition Francis faces in his court.
Mayne you're right but if so it won't be a bishop in Ireland. Most likely someone in Latin America where they have a history of rebellion against the Vatican top brass.

Glenshane4

Francis seems to be liberal - according to the statements he has made so far in his Papacy, e.g. the sympathy he has expressed for homosexuals.

My point is:

Why won't he just decide to let priests get married? After all, in the Vatican, he is the boss. Therefore, his decision is final. Is it not?!
It might be that he thinks that letting priests marry would not be in the best interests of the organisation of which he is leader.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Might annoy the gayer members of the Curia.

Jim Car

I doubt it. Looking at what has been said recently by some I would say Francis would be delight if a bishop took the plunge for him. He cant necessarily do it himself do to court politics in the Vatican, but he could give support. In addition the bishop would have done absolutely nothing wrong and would have massive public as well as institutional support for what he did. Could act as a catalyst for a purge of some of the serious opposition Francis faces in his court.
Pope suggests ordaining married men to tackle priest shortages - Independent.ie

Cant say i didn't tell you that the idea was flouting around at the highest levels.

razorblade

Its an insane rule there is nothing more natural than people falling in love, the ban should be lifted.

Global Irish Nation

They can't allow marriage. Same reason as always. The implications around property rights, inheritance etc wioukd be unfathomable.

GrainneDee

They can't allow marriage. Same reason as always. The implications around property rights, inheritance etc wioukd be unfathomable.
Why would clergy have any claim to church property? They would live in church owned property, like soldiers who live in barracks. They would have to make their own provision for where they would live after retirement.

Old Mr Grouser

As far as I know, its practice rather than doctrine, most likely, married priests are no different to other married folk.
Fr Tom Doyle OP, a canon lawyer, believes that it's mainly because a priest without a wife can be easily bossed about by their bishop.

[video=youtube;-w3SJ3n35QI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3SJ3n35QI[/video]

redmonite

How many of the posters on this thread actually contribute to the church?
Would you all be as pro married clergy if you had to pay for them and a family?

Eoin Coir

Why would clergy have any claim to church property? They would live in church owned property, like soldiers who live in barracks. They would have to make their own provision for where they would live after retirement.
RC Church provides them with retirement homes too. Many retired priests get Old age pension too, or portion of it.

GrainneDee

You pay the same money. The going rate for the job. It's up to them to manage on the money they get. Like in any other walk of life.

GrainneDee

RC Church provides them with retirement homes too. Many retired priests get Old age pension too, or portion of it.
There's a time between when a person stops working and they are ready for an old folks home.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could we change things around so we get head-money for them? There'd be a roaring trade for collectibles. I wanted to put in a bid for Gabe Abarth but he died there a year or so ago more's the pity. He was my favourite and as an official Exorcist he'd have been worth a few bob on eBay.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom