Why will the Pope not let priests get married?

Dame_Enda

Hasn't that been the case for a long time?
It makes a nonsense of their claim celibacy has always been church teaching. Indeed until the 1100s RCC clergy could be married.

cakeordeath

What a bunch of curtain-twitchers!

If adult men choose a life of celibacy then why should that be anybody's business but their own?

Get back in your own bedrooms!
Yeah, see, there's your problem right there. 'cause quite a number of priests would rather go back to their own bedrooms, and have sexual intercourse and wherefore-art-thou and Oh-my-God! and what-not.

Off to my bedroom with me!

NYCKY

It makes a nonsense of their claim celibacy has always been church teaching. Indeed until the 1100s RCC clergy could be married.
Yes it's nonsense that celibacy has always been church teaching, but is that what the church has claimed? Genuine question.

toughbutfair

As the church is being outed for gay/ paedo things, allowing them to marry seems like a way of reducing (not eliminating) the occurrences. Currently, such people are drawn to a secretive group of men who spend time with alterboys. The more cunning gays abuse the situation.

However, there’s a financial burden of supporting a family.

ergo2

Money. That's why. The church does not want kids of priests inheriting church property or other assets.
Most dioceses now have incorporated companies to hold church property in trust. That sorts out succession rights.

Better than the old system of having three priests as trustees.

shoneen

Loads of people support it. Some of the most comitted and conservative catholics I know believe they should be allowed marry. So why isn't it happening?

Roisin3

They have this weird workaround where if you were an Anglican male married priest when you convert to Catholicism, you get to keep your wife.

Pope allows married men to become priests in bid to attract Anglican recruits | Daily Mail Online

It’s not simply a case of there being a workaround for Anglican converts, but there are Catholics of other rites in full communion, under the pope, who have married priests. The Latin rite is by far the predominant rite of the Catholic Church but it’s not the only rite.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The ladies of the curia don't want it. They don't want the pennies that go towards the cardinals' funeral expenses as 'princes of the church' to be spent on mere fripperies by the lower orders such as marriage and stuff like that.

Roisin3

redmonite

Loads of people support it. Some of the most comitted and conservative catholics I know believe they should be allowed marry. So why isn't it happening?
Generally the " loads" of people that support a married clergy contribute zero . And how many more would attend mass of priests were allowed to marry? The Anglican church went down the road of trying to placate cool media types, which resulted in its demise.

New Threads

Top Bottom