• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Widespread, significant" data protection breaches by the Gardai

Sync

Breaches of data protection across State agencies - RTÉ News

The Data Protection Commissioner has discovered significant, widespread breaches of data protection law during an audit.
The audit looked at how information from the Department of Social Protection is shared with other government agencies.

Launching his 2012 annual report, Billy Hawkes said similar breaches have been found in an ongoing audit of An Garda Síochána, specifically in relation to the PULSE system.
Pretty awful, but unsurprising stuff here. There seems to be one of two steps required here:

One: Disciplinary steps taken against Gardai inappropriately looking up data and an investigation into if any of these lookups occurred in order to feed the media.

Two: Firing whoever implemented the system without training and defining appropriate use of the system.

There are also concerns raised about the use of social welfare information.
The audit followed a major investigation within the department into one employee’s access patterns to personal data. A criminal investigation is also underway into that matter.

Mr Hawkes said a “worrying degree” of inappropriate access to personal data by State employees was detected as a result of his investigation.
The entire report is here: http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/data-protection.pdf

Last edited:

R3volution_R3ady

We need private police companies to get rid of these idiots that have the audacity to call themselves a professional force.

B

Boggle

Hardly shocking. My ex looked me up when we dated.
Thought they had tightened it up since but apparently not.

I heard somewhere that you could fool the comments box by tapping spacebar and it appears that nobody gets punished for filling out forms wrong (because you obviously know who made each and every entry for traceability purposes).

I would suggest that step one should be to start disciplining people who fill out forms incorrectly. It's a key duty of policing and if they cannot do it they are unsuitable.

R3volution_R3ady

That's pretty creepy. No wonder she's your ex.

drummed

Would'nt worry. It'll turn out to be just another 'system failure' so we can all relax.
If however you own a sheep and its missing one of its 3 compulsory eartags you'll have a big problem..............:lol:

B

Boggle

That's pretty creepy. No wonder she's your ex.
She was actually alright, she didn't mean any harm in it and she thought it hilarious.
I was slightly uncomfortable though.

It's like when you get to a checkpoint and, even though you know you are fine, you start mentally searching for what they could possibly get you for.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Sure anyone who has a good friend in the Gardai can get access to the info on Pulse.

eoghanacht

So not only do we have a Minister of Justice using info to tar political rivals, we now see it's rather the done thing.

Data protection................ meh, whats that?

Releasing info about political rivals, sher why not?

Want points deducted from your license.......just contact a Guard that you know.

All the while we lap it up.

eoghanacht

zakalwe1

So not only do we have a Minister of Justice using info to tar political rivals, we now see it's rather the done thing.

Want points deducted from your license.......just contact a Guard that you know.

well, they're quite ******************************ly about data protection when stuff gets said on a forum like this....or refers to NAMA or sensitive government figures....but in outside of that, and when it relates to little people, then its not an issue.

what the hell is wrong with pr!ckly????

eoghanacht

well, they're quite ******************************ly about data protection when stuff gets said on a forum like this....or refers to NAMA or sensitive government figures....but in outside of that, and when it relates to little people, then its not an issue.
The clue is in your post.

what the hell is wrong with pr!ckly????
Who's pr!ckly and what the hell is wrong with him?

Porkypie

I heard somewhere that you could fool the comments box by tapping spacebar and it appears that nobody gets punished for filling out forms wrong (because you obviously know who made each and every entry for traceability purposes).

I would suggest that step one should be to start disciplining people who fill out forms incorrectly. It's a key duty of policing and if they cannot do it they are unsuitable.
She was excommunicated. Can you excommunicate Shatter for putting the constitution at risk? Please

Porkypie

Deflection tactics perhaps?

Magror14

If there is one agency that urgently needs more resources its the Office of the Data Commissioner. The whole area of Data Sharing is on a shaky legislative basis at a time when DPER is pushing for more. In a country as small as this it isn't just what agencies are entitled to access data but who in each Department/Agency has a legitimate reason to have access.

D

Deleted member 17573

Breaches of data protection across State agencies - RTÉ News

Pretty awful, but unsurprising stuff here. There seems to be one of two steps required here:

One: Disciplinary steps taken against Gardai inappropriately looking up data and an investigation into if any of these lookups occurred in order to feed the media.

Two: Firing whoever implemented the system without training and defining appropriate use of the system.

There are also concerns raised about the use of social welfare information.

The entire report is here: http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/data-protection.pdf
Regarding the systems control this is a very complex and indeed vexed issue. I'm not familiar with PULSE and the nearest comparison I can offer is in regard to telecoms systems where, for all telcos the confidentiality of ex-directory numbers is a real priority but presents a major headache. Numbers and customer names and addresses occasionally find their way into the public domain, but, on investigation it is almost always found that the most likely source is the customer service and billing system.
And this is where the difficulty arises because these systems have to be available to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of users if the company is to provide a decent level of customer service. And this means that, for example in the handling of customer billing enquiries, a very large number of users will have access to the detailed bill records of all customers, down to the level of individual call detail. And while it might be possible to have a system for tracking every login to the system, to extend that to the tracking of what data is accessed would be a massive overhead. In fact I don't think any telco has even attempted to do this.
Whatever the solution, it will involve a trade off at some level between security and operational efficiency.

eoghanacht

Porkypie

If there is one agency that urgently needs more resources its the Office of the Data Commissioner. The whole area of Data Sharing is on a shaky legislative basis at a time when DPER is pushing for more. In a country as small as this it isn't just what agencies are entitled to access data but who in each Department/Agency has a legitimate reason to have access.
People are employed full time to "search for undesirables" at a center in Galway. IP addresses are used to pinpoint the whereabouts of a person and chat forums are monitored to look at "political nutters" and others. It is important to log out and change your password every so often. Every time you log in you receive a new IP address which makes it more difficult for snoopers to catch you.

Colin M