Wikileaks dump a CIA archive

silverharp

Seems to revolve around the CIA losing control of their cyber warfare arsenal , some titbits being that a lot of Samsung TV's have malware that can turn TV's into microphones and that they were working on hacking modern vehicles to carry out assassinations

Will have to wait for the internet ferrets to find the good stuff

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/839118747646427141

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/839122455738339328

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/839111036506603520

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/839117384824852480

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/839132303280451587

I just bought a new TV

gleeful

Looks like a big leak.

"U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt is a covert CIA hacker base" will cause political problems for Merkel.

Mad as Fish

Seems to revolve around the CIA losing control of their cyber warfare arsenal , some titbits being that a lot of Samsung TV's have malware that can turn TV's into microphones and that they were working on hacking modern vehicles to carry out assassinations

Will have to wait for the internet ferrets to find the good stuff
And there are lads on here who reckon I'm paranoid about autonomous vehicles being used as a means of surveillance and control!

Mad as Fish

The more tech we use... the less privacy we've got.

If you want privacy stop using tech.
Yes and no.

Surely we have a right to privacy irrespective of whether we use tech? I know that the techno fascists can't grasp that simple feature of humanity in their mindless rush to turn us all into little Googlebots which is why I don't have a smartphone.

gerhard dengler

The more tech we use... the less privacy we've got.

If you want privacy stop using tech.
As the CIA appear to be finding out to their own cost. Ironic isn't it.

You're right though. Reliance on technology for communication is a case of potentially being a hostage to fortune in that anything you do using email/internet can be accessed and stored without your knowledge or approval.

A solicitor friend of mine, he refuses to use any technology for communications purposes.
He doesn't use a computer, he doesn't use email, he doesn't use a mobile phone. His only concession to technology is a photocopier, as far as I know.

gleeful

This isnt about personal privacy. The CIA doesn't listen to your conversations because it doesn't care about you.

This is about hacking and controlling foreign governments, particularly those in Europe, and ensuring those targets do what they are told.

jmcc

Surely we have a right to privacy irrespective of whether we use tech? I know that the techno fascists can't grasp that simple feature of humanity in their mindless rush to turn us all into little Googlebots which is why I don't have a smartphone.
Old mobile phones and hardlines can also be monitored.

D

Deleted member 42179

This isnt about personal privacy. The CIA doesn't listen to your conversations because it doesn't care about you.

This is about hacking and controlling foreign governments, particularly those in Europe, and ensuring those targets do what they are told.
It's also about power, blackmail and industrial espionage for money. Look how a few leaks are currently undermining the US presidency.
These spooks are out of control and need to be reined in.

We should be able to purchase technology and software which does not betray our personal information by design.

Mad as Fish

It's about all sorts of things, including privacy.

jmcc

We should be able to purchase technology and software which does not betray our personal information by design.
Therein lies the rub. The software you may be using could be free and you are the product. In return for its use, you trade your information. As for the hardware, it would be foolish to assume that it was ever secure. Only the people who read the Irish Times "technology" section are so gullible.

im axeled

why did the cia want our email's texts etc, we had a goverment who wanted to give the to the u.s. as a free gift, thankfully the plebs started to grumble

Spanner Island

Yes and no.

I'd like to see effective EU competitors to Facebook, Google and Microsoft evolve...

As it is... America is cleaning up on data collection...

And of course with w*nker hackers eager to destroy and/or use what is created for their own dodgy ends as fast as possible... the future ain't looking too bright...

jmcc

I'd like to see effective EU competitors to Facebook, Google and Microsoft evolve...
Linux though it is more of a global thing? And of course there was an EU effort to compete with Google. The French wanted to call it Quaero (unfortunately pronounced 'queero' in some accents). As a typical EU venture, it crashed and burned. Building a better search engine that Google isn't hard. Monetising it well is hard. Google is an advertising company.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies