WikiLeaks : The Best Revelations So Far

CptSternn

There are a few threads on various cables that have been released by WikiLeaks, so I thought a thread on some of the good ones was in order.

First, this is the new website URL:

WikiLeaks

There are current over a 1000 mirrors hosting the site, too many to list - but a Google search will bring back as many as you need.

It's also good to know The Guardian has been kind enough to organise them, label them, and even highlight the good stuff for us.

US embassy cables: the documents | World news | guardian.co.uk

The top ones so far I thought were as follows:

Brazil frames innocent men on trumped up drug charges at the behest of the US:

WikiLeaks involve Brazil

US military contractors pimp out young boys for sex at drug parties:

WikiLeaks: Texas Company Helped Pimp Little Boys To Stoned Afghan Cops - Houston News - Hair Balls

Everyone knew the Lockerbie bomber wasn't sick, but they let him go because Libya threatened their oil interests:

WikiLeaks cables: Lockerbie bomber freed after Gaddafi's 'thuggish' threats | World news | The Guardian

Green eyed monster

Winalot

WikiLeaks only confirms what we already know or suspect.
The USA, as a democracy, cannot tolerate the light of day being shone on their activities and those of their allies.

Interista

The Guardian is reporting some hackers have broken into Mastercard as a punishment for that corporation acceeding to pressure and suspending donations to Assange.

MasterCard site partially frozen by hackers in WikiLeaks 'revenge' | Media | guardian.co.uk

To me it is fair revenge as DOS attacks were used to make the wikileaks site inaccesible via search engines. Sauce for the Gander.

BBC News - Wikileaks 'hacked ahead of secret US document release'
I agree. I think we are living through interesting times - the events of this last week have told us a lot about the business and political elites (insofar as they can be seperated) who control so much of our lives.

It's not so much the revelations themselves - as others have said, they don't tell us much we didn't already know or suspect - it's watching the leaders of the free world get their knickers in a twist over freedom of information. The most craven example thus far is Hillary Clinton, who openly lectured China on their censorship of Google a few months back, yet is now desperately trying to hush up issues such as her wanting to spy on UN .

DJCB33

The Guardian is reporting some hackers have broken into Mastercard as a punishment for that corporation acceeding to pressure and suspending donations to Assange.

MasterCard site partially frozen by hackers in WikiLeaks 'revenge' | Media | guardian.co.uk

To me it is fair revenge as DOS attacks were used to make the wikileaks site inaccesible via search engines. Sauce for the Gander.

BBC News - Wikileaks 'hacked ahead of secret US document release'

Mastercard & Visa allow the Ku Klux Klan to use their service but not Wikileaks so I really hope they don't try and high moral ground this.

Ku Klux Klan is okay, Wikileaks is bad, says Mastercard and Visa

Green eyed monster

Hahaha You couldn't make this up.

After it has been revealed that Mastercard has cut him off, wikileaks comes out with a damaging claim involving US political links to the corporation Mastercard!

WikiLeaks cables: US 'lobbied Russia on behalf of Visa and MasterCard' | World news | guardian.co.uk

Perhaps that answers your question about why the KKK is acceptable to Mastercard but not wikileaks DJCB33?

Does this mean the organisation was able to make a counterattack for revenge with pinpoint accuracy on Mastercard? If so you would have to wonder at the range of topics wikileaks may have in it's little goody bag.

I know he has promised to release a shedload at once if something happens to him (say an 'accident' in custody).

CarnivalOfAction

Free Julian Assange! Hands Off Wikileaks!

Free Julian Assange! Hands off WikiLeaks!
Rem former Brit Intelligence [sorry about the oxymoron!] operatives, Fred Holroyd & Colin Wallace, got similar treatment in the 1970s when they revealed Brit dirty tricks, incl the Dublin/Monaghan mass murder, in Ireland. Wallace was framed for a murder; Holroyd was forced into mental hospital.

D

Deleted member 17573

Mastercard & Visa allow the Ku Klux Klan to use their service but not Wikileaks so I really hope they don't try and high moral ground this.

Ku Klux Klan is okay, Wikileaks is bad, says Mastercard and Visa
Hope I´m not straying off-topic but does anybody have a view on the legality of the credit card company´s actions? Specifically, if I use my visa card to make a donation to Wikileaks, would Visa not be in breach of contract if they fail to complete the transaction? I can understand that they would have an "out" if acting under instructions from the U.S. government but it would appear that their action was, officially at least, unilateral. I suppose it´s all in the small print!!!

Cassandra Syndrome

I personally think Wikileaks is a disinformation tool or a red herring to distract the public or worse still, create a problem-reaction-solution paradigm for suppressing free speech on the net.

former wesleyan

I personally think Wikileaks is a disinformation tool or a red herring to distract the public or worse still, create a problem-reaction-solution paradigm for suppressing free speech on the net.
Coming from the Ron Paul/Alex Jones stable as you do, that's hardly suprising.

seabhcan

Wow. And I thought I couldn't be shocked anymore.

I read a book ages ago about the rise of the Taliban. It partly started with an incident in Kandihar when two warlords flattened the town center in a battle over who got to rape a young child. A group of locals got together, called them selves Taliban (means 'students', as in, students of Islam), and hung the two warlords in question.

When the yanks invaded, they re-armed the warlords in their efforts to defeat the Taliban. But, of course, the Taliban are BAD GUYS*.

*Terms and Conditions Apply

Roy Feen

Get that bloody tin-foil hat off ya!

pete2

The gossip is one thing, some of the leaks may actually cause big problems...

..the U.S. was, in fact, keeping track of Iraqi civilian deaths, despite statements to the contrary. The documents show that 109,032 Iraqis died between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2009, 66,081 of whom were civilians...

..Iran and Hezbollah actively supported and trained anti-American Shiite militants in Iraq, such as Azhar al-Dulaimi, who abducted and beheaded four American soldiers...

..smugglers exchanging gunfire with an Iraqi border patrol, then retreating into Syria, where Syrian forces gave them cover, firing upon the Iraqi patrol with medium and light weapons. Some reports indicate that Syrian intelligence officers helped militants develop new bombmaking techniques.
WikiLeaks Iraq War Files: 8 Most Shocking Secrets - The Daily Beast
And this
"Alcohol, though strictly prohibited by Saudi law and custom, was plentiful at the party's well-stocked bar. The hired Filipino bartenders served a cocktail punch using sadiqi, a locally-made moonshine," the cable said. "It was also learned through word-of-mouth that a number of the guests were in fact 'working girls', not uncommon for such parties."
WikiLeaks cables: Saudi princes throw parties boasting drink, drugs and sex | World news | The Guardian

Green eyed monster

I have to admit this one has shocked even me, apparently it is not even the first time this particular military corporation has been accused of allowing their contractors mercenaries to use child prostitutes.

Dyncorp was also involved in trafficking little girls from countries like Moldova and Russia to feed the 'appetites' of war personnel in Bosnia. Two people complained about it, were sacked and later awarded significant compensation for being dismissed (in effect a vindication of their claims) while no charges were brought and the issue was swept under the rug. Similiar allegations were raised about Abu Ghraib, that children were raped by contracters mercenaries there (this time Titan was the company named), nothing was done about it in a criminal sense and the mercenaries who had been hired by the US Govt had immunity granted to them by Paul Bremer then anyway (the only ones ever charged at that place were enlisted men, showing how the mercs are afforded higher levels of protection and favor than the regular forces).

It is absolutely sickening but completely to be expected when you perhaps consider the moral character of people who kill and torture specifically for money (and not even as part of a uniformed service unit). It is frightening to realise that this is a supremely well protected (politically) growth industry too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies